shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#494328 - 29/12/09 12:28 AM What else can cause a code P0325? Please help
up4speed Offline

Loc: Lake Grove, NY
I have been complaining lately that my truck felt sluggish and got worse on gas, but other than that everything seemed fine. I wrote it off to the winter blend gasolines. I just got a scangauge for christmas and installed it (It's awesome). The bad news is that I came up with a code of P0325. I know that code means something is wrong with the knock sensor circuitry, but to replace the sensor I am looking at about $1000 (according to research)and I'm not happy. Are there any other causes that would trigger a code? Would a knock that occurs with a good sensor trigger a code? The truck is a 2000 3.3 with only 42,000 miles on it and it was garage kept since new (no rat damage to wires). What should I try before giving it to the dealer to get raped? Can it be a bad distributor cap and rotor?, wires? plugs? dirty fuel filter? dirty injectors? or is it only a bad knock sensor that would trigger a P0325 code? Thanks in advance, please help!!!

#494331 - 29/12/09 06:13 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
The knock sensor has gone bad. There probably isn't a 1st Gen non-supercharged Xterra that doesn't have a bad knock sensor. It's very common and nothing to worry about. Do some searching for the knock sensor bypass mod if it is really bothering you.

A bad knock sensor is an issue for those with a supercharger. It doesn't really make a difference for the rest of us.

-Michael

#494362 - 30/12/09 10:58 PM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: swampwrecker]
up4speed Offline

Ok, before I get too excited here, I have a few questions. I was all ready to order the parts to do a knock sensor relocation due to my bad knock sensor when I decided to pull the jack on the valve cover apart to look at it. It looked good inside with no signs of corrosion. I then put it back, and cleared the codes, then took the truck for a spin. There were no codes immediately, so I drove it for a few blocks, still no codes. I then shut it and restarted it, still no codes. I then drove it about 3 miles with various engine load, everything from bogging it, to full throttle acceleration. Still no codes. I then shut it again for a minute or so. Restarted and drove a few more blocks home. Still no codes!! Did I fix the problem? I will try to explain how this problem started originally, but
I only have a limited pattern from the other day that I posted. I installed the scangaugeII and found the code. I cleared it and checked it the same day still no code. I then parked it thinking all was ok. I started it the next day and surprise! there was the darn code again. I then cleared it, checked it a few blocks later, it was still ok, but then I shut the engine and restarted, and once again the darn code came back!! I then realized through research that the code only comes back if a new event happens after you cycle the ignition. Based on this info do you guys think that the contact in the connector was the problem? (I heard that it was a common issue w/the connectors) If it was a bad sensor would it trigger a code immediately, or is it possible that it is random? If it is random that it doesn't work every now and then, do you think it's worth it to do the relocation, or should I just leave well enough alone and hope it will do it's job if it starts to ping for one reason or another? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to make a bad decision, I will do what I have to do for the health of the truck, as I want to keep it for a long time. oh, one more question, If I have a bad knock sensor but I am using good fuel and the truck doesn't ping, would it still trigger a code? or does it only trigger a code if it pings (meaning the sensor did not do it's job)? Or are there multiple ways to get the P0325 code?
Thanks again guys.

Edited by up4speed (30/12/09 11:40 PM)

#494366 - 31/12/09 05:35 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
Ok, to go even further out on a limb, and maybe add a bit to what your dealing with,... I have often wondered if the actual start up on the engine could be enough to throw the code at times, with the way the oil drains away from the lifters when the truck is shut off for a while.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#494370 - 31/12/09 07:35 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: e207]
up4speed Offline

e207, I like the way you think. I actually thought you were on to something, but then I realized that if you were right, the trucks would spit codes from new. They would also continue to spit codes after a knock sensor replacement as well. Or maybe the sensor just gets more sensitive as it ages and spits codes on start up, but will still do it's job when running?? I don't know just thinking out loud. I will continue to check for codes (thanks to the scangauge always being hooked up!)and let you guys know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a weak connection in the terminal that got scratched clean by removing and re-installing it.

#494373 - 31/12/09 10:13 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
up4speed Offline

Bad news, this morning I started it and had a code again. I checked the freeze frame info and it showed that it triggered when in open loop mode. That would be either a cold engine, or full throttle situation. So does that mean that my knock sensor is bad, or can it be something else? or is it only a problem with a cold engine and it works fine once the engine warms up? or does the info only get transmitted on the next cold start, even though the sensor is continuously bad?
If I wanted to check the ohms on the factory installed knock sensor, how would I do it? I guess I would have to pull the jack from the valve cover, then test the pins on the firewall side of the connector, right? If so, how do I test them and which one do I test. I know I'm looking at the bottom two wires on the right. I would like to test the sensor so I know it's bad before I invest in the parts to do a KS relocation. Do I just put the ohm meter across those two pins? What reading should I get?

Edited by up4speed (31/12/09 09:24 PM)

#494504 - 10/01/10 06:38 PM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
up4speed Offline

I'm happy to report that I think I fixed it after all!!
The service manual told me to loosen and re-tighten the grounds on the intake manifold, that didn't work, which is why I thought I needed a new sensor. Well, before I dove in and did a sensor bypass, I figured I would do a real good job cleaning and checking the wiring. I removed the grounds and used a scotchbrite pad on the terminal and the surface of the manifold at the screw contact point. I then cleaned it with contact cleaner and screwed it back on. I then took the connector apart, sprayed it with contact cleaner. I then bent the two terminals in the connector for the knock sensor, just a hair, so the terminal pushed against the wall of the female side, when it got plugged back in. Just a warning though, if you are going to bend the terminal, make sure you don't do it too much, or you will ruin the connector!! When you are done, you shouldn't even be able to tell it was moved by looking at it. I would say I may have moved it about 1/2mm. Even then, when I tried to plug it back together, I had to wiggle the connector a little to get it to line up properly, so be careful!!
I then cleared my codes, drove the drive cycle and the scangauge finally showed up with a No Codes....READY, meaning I'm good to go!! Anyway, thanks for all the help, I guess the guys who said that it is usually not the sensor and it is just dirty connectors was correct in my case. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it wasn't just a fluke. I don't think it was, because I was continuously getting a code after resetting every day, for about a half a month now.

#494564 - 15/01/10 04:26 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
up4speed Offline

Bad news, it WAS a fluke and cleaning the grounds and connector didn't fix the knock sensor code. The code came back after another hot and cold cycle. I'm not happy about that, but I did the knock sensor relocation and all went well so far. I decided to just remove the required terminals from the connector and the other terminals from the Maxima harness. I plugged the terminals into each other, then put heat shrink tubing around the connection. That was followed up by wire loom around everything, and zip tied everything to the factory wiring harness, everything looks good and it looks factory. Now I just have to hope that it is fixed. I went through a hot and cold cycle once already, and it still didn't spit a code, so I should be ok. As far as the wiring harness, there is only one wire coming out of the harness on the knock sensor side. On the other side of the Maxima harness, I attached the clear wire of the harness to the white (looks yellowed) wire on the valve cover harness and the black wire of the Maxima harness to the grey wire on the valve cover harness. All is well so far, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

#494566 - 15/01/10 08:34 AM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: up4speed]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Do we really need three threads asking the same thing by the same person?

-Michael

#494593 - 17/01/10 02:14 PM Re: What else can cause a code P0325? Please help [Re: swampwrecker]
up4speed Offline

"Do we really need three threads asking the same thing by the same person?"
I obviously felt I did.
I know it all looked the same, but I was trying to fix my truck without screwing things up, or wasting money. The three threads I started asked diferent questions related to the same problem. One asked about the error code, the other asked about how a bad sensor affected timing, freeze frame data and what I should see on the scangaugeII, the third one asked about taking apart the connector and which wires to connect. The reason I didn't continue asking questions as they arose is because I know from experience that if I continue asking questions in the same thread, the first few questions would never get answered. As a matter of fact my questions didn't get fully answered either way. I eventually got the answers I needed from Clubfrontier.org and all is fine now. I wound up doing a knock sensor relocation. I did post the outcome on all three posts just so people know that I was done with the issue, and they didn't waste time answering my questions. Don't worry I won't start a fourth thread (LOL), as far as I can tell, I'm done with the knock sensor issue unless I'm answering questions for others. BTW, thanks for your help, I know you answered on at least one of my three posts.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal