2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49682 - 12/12/03 09:40 AM How beefy is the drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know enough about the Drivetrain of the X, but would like more info. It sounds like the axles are strong and could probably support 33's, with the proper lift of course, and hold up to moderate to serious wheeling, correct? Anyone running 33's or larger and have input?

What about the tranny and t-case?

What's the final crawl ratio?

#49683 - 12/12/03 09:59 AM Re: How beefy is the drivetrain?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
As I mentioned on the other board, it's stout. I even gave axle and ring gear sizes. 33s, no problem. There are a few on 35s, one on 36s. All have been wheeled HARD, steering is the only real problem, though the CVs are always a vulnerability.
T-case might be a weak link, in the 2001 production it got a narrower front-output chain and one person has managed to stretch it. Only one I know of though.
Tranny, no issues so far, be sure to put a cooler on an automatic if you're going to work it hard though.
Crawl ratio: For a V6 manual w/ a 4.9 diff ratio, it's 35.55:1

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#49684 - 14/12/03 08:27 AM Re: How beefy is the drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brent, thanks for your help and for both replies. Sounds like the X is more capable than I thought....now I just have to convince the wife to get one.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal