2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#497598 - 13/04/06 08:26 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
[Sleep] Is it done yet
Nope not yet :p Hopefully by the end of next week.

#497599 - 14/04/06 07:57 AM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
[b]Not to be critical, but those stock springs probably won't handle the SOA for long before they sag beyond use. SOA puts a lot more stress on leaves than SUA. Consider new packs or even some AAL's.
Thanks for the heads up. This issue has caught our eye, and decided to keep the load leaf on. We will also probably AAL.[/b]
you went through all this trouble just throw some coilovers on the rear and dump the leaf springs.

#497600 - 14/04/06 09:20 AM Re: SAS 05
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Putting together a 4-link on the rear-end is another big chunk of change. I think a few folks are interested in a coil set up in the rear, but you just don't "throw" it on.

-Doug

#497601 - 14/04/06 09:57 AM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

HB,

yea i know that but he could fab up a 3-link or a 4-link pretty easily as its a 9" rear and all the angles can be found online etc. Im pretty sure petersons or someone has a 4 link calculator on their site.

my point is that he's going through all the trouble with the front so why not the rear...but leaves do perform admirably as well.

#497602 - 14/04/06 10:28 AM Re: SAS 05
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Gas tank is in the way, just like the 1st gens…

I’ve been thinking about rear links…the long arm pathy setup’s like DATZ has runs in AZ is pretty sweet.

After this season and I finish my bronco build, I’m going to install another gas tank like a 23 gal bronco one and mount it where the spare used to be underneath and go from there.

The parts shouldn’t be that pricey about $800 I figure (links, joints, coils, brackets, etc) not counting the gas tank ($425) + skid. The fab work could be done over a weekend with somebody that's experienced & the parts pre-assembled.

#497603 - 14/04/06 02:26 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Exactly...the gas tank is the last of his concerns

if he found a way to SAS a 2005 IFS setup with RACK AND PINION steering when there wasnt even the hint of a kit available yet, throw a Ford 9" under the rear of a Nissan and overcome all of the other challenges of an SAS from scratch...

then I'm pretty sure he and his shop could work around a gas tank problem. He could just as easily buy a fuel cell or something.

there are options.

#497604 - 14/04/06 03:39 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
Quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
[b]Not to be critical, but those stock springs probably won't handle the SOA for long before they sag beyond use. SOA puts a lot more stress on leaves than SUA. Consider new packs or even some AAL's.
Thanks for the heads up. This issue has caught our eye, and decided to keep the load leaf on. We will also probably AAL.[/b]
you went through all this trouble just throw some coilovers on the rear and dump the leaf springs.[/b]
I appreciate the help and concerns everyone has. But here is my thought so far:

I might be spending some $$$ on the SAS, but if there is no need to go to coilovers, then why bother. I would love coilovers in the rear, but the SOA is costing me next to nothing. Do I want chromoly shafts, rear disk brakes, rear coilovers, etc....of course I do. But if I don't need it right now then I'm ok. We have no idea what to expect from this SAS rig. I have to set aside some funds to upgrade the weak points when they come up. If the rear leafs are not working out down the road, then we will look at alternatives. Same with the shafts, ujoints, etc.

#497605 - 14/04/06 03:45 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah it all has to be taken in steps and everyone has to draw the line somewhere. wink

The front was the biggest obstacle and the rear will work fine with what he is doing. At some point in the future he can switch the rear if need be.

#497606 - 14/04/06 05:06 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Yeah it all has to be taken in steps and everyone has to draw the line somewhere. wink

The front was the biggest obstacle and the rear will work fine with what he is doing. At some point in the future he can switch the rear if need be.
Yes make no mistake it is a sick project and its going to look nasty when its all done...I completely agree. I'm just saying it can be done.

#497607 - 14/04/06 06:55 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plus the Nissan springs lined up with the perches on the Ford 9". There was no need to grind and move the perches laugh Made it all that easier to do the SOA.

#497608 - 20/04/06 05:51 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steering box is finally complete and mounted.

#497609 - 20/04/06 07:37 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

SWeet! I can't wait to get a look at 'er in person [Smoking]

#497610 - 20/04/06 07:53 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pony definately deserves the X-Owner of the century award for this project.

#497611 - 20/04/06 08:45 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eh, still has his roof.

Rookie! laugh

#497612 - 20/04/06 09:11 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where can I get that cool red powdercoat finish on my engine and radiator. laugh

#497613 - 20/04/06 09:28 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunzen:
Where can I get that cool red powdercoat finish on my engine and radiator. laugh
MOAB! laugh

#497614 - 20/04/06 09:50 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Eh, still has his roof.

Rookie! laugh
[Spit]

#497615 - 21/04/06 08:48 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep thats right. The steering box says ToyoDa, not ToyoTa.

http://alpinetribe.com/Gallery/SAS

#497616 - 21/04/06 10:48 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

You cant rush perfection man

#497617 - 22/04/06 08:38 AM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MykeSm1th1:
they sure taking a long time to put this together [ThumbsDown]
ever designed and built a custom suspension before? engineering and fabrication takes alot of work. i have worked in that field (aircraft structural/electrical modification) and i can tell you first hand its not always easy. you usually run into problems and have to figure out what to do to fix it with messing something else up. plus paint and time for parts to be order/picked up/shipped. this is a pioneering work of art, everything has to be just right or else it wont work and it'll be a body and frame with no front suspension. you cant just put the factory stuff back on using bolts. in case you didnt know, you have to cut everything out. not a bolt on job like a regular lift.

noobs... :rolleyes:

edit: looking great btw ponyboy. [ThumbsUp]

#497618 - 22/04/06 09:11 AM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
they sure taking a long time to put this together
Maybe you can do better then??? Consider that he is doing a completely new front suspension without any conversion kits. He is the pioneer for the 2nd gen X for SAS and you think he is taking too long. [Huh?] Would you like to volunteer your brand new truck for SAS? Probably not, so until you are willing to do what he is doing to your truck [Save the fine unicorns] !

BTW Ponyboy hope everything keeps going smoothly and can't wait to see the next update. [ThumbsUp]

#497619 - 22/04/06 10:21 AM Re: SAS 05
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
they sure taking a long time to put this together [ThumbsDown]

:rolleyes:

#497620 - 22/04/06 03:14 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

why did you choose not to run a high steer kit on the front axle - or would it just not fit?

#497621 - 22/04/06 07:18 PM Re: SAS 05
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
Quote:
[b]they sure taking a long time to put this together [ThumbsDown]

:rolleyes: [/b]
No.....It's just Jonathan....Iro.....XnItUp.....AlightFromWithIN......whatever name he has gone by on here.....again.

He does not have an 06 Xterra....it is an 04 if I remember correctly....He has been banned numerous times on here. He has bought the Calmini kit and the axle from the rolled Frontier that had the Calmini SAS kit, and is hiring someone to put the kit on for him. That makes him an expert on SAS's, dontcha know. :rolleyes:

Back on topic...The SAS looks great. Congrats on the build. [ThumbsUp]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#497622 - 23/04/06 07:50 PM Re: SAS 05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
why did you choose not to run a high steer kit on the front axle - or would it just not fit?
The clearance would have been nice, but the steering setup is beefy. I guess we could have gone high steer, but we never discussed it. Im pretty sure with the thickness of the tubing, it should be fine.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal