shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498455 - 26/12/04 11:22 AM Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I need to trim off some MasterPull synthetic winch line (Its got the extra outer armor coating...)...I assumed I'd cut from the thimble side rather than the hook side....but then I need to reattach the thimble securely....and maybe make an extension rope from the part I cut off...

I've done wire rope splices...but never synthetic ropes.

Anyone familiar with this/Have advice?

- Thanks!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#498456 - 26/12/04 12:20 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
CALL MASTERPULL.. Dont screw around with something you dont know how to do, especially when its going to be holding a 4500lb+ truck.. Get a professional..
Besides the fact that contacting them and having them do it, should be FREE!!!

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#498457 - 26/12/04 01:01 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Thanks Ken!

(Got your other messege)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#498458 - 27/12/04 11:07 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

View from beneath the winch spool, looking up at winch.

Is this a little tight, or too tight?

I ask because Master Pull wants $44, plus downtime, to fix it.

laugh

#498459 - 27/12/04 11:52 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Umm that looks like a mess! Looks like you could get more on if you got a "cleaner" wrap under load.

Basically pre-tension the rope and wrap it so that it goes in evenly and neatly (left to right, then right to left and repeat till it's all in). From the pic it looks like you just randomly wound it in without a load.

Sorry, but I question your ability to safely use your winch.

Which Warn winch is that and how long is the rope?

#498460 - 27/12/04 12:04 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree looks "loose" find an extra person to pull on it while it is being guided by yourself. Watch your fingers while guiding. Or do the same thing with a log of good size.

#498461 - 27/12/04 12:16 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

That was wound on under load, pulling another X with its brakes set.

With wire rope, I'm used to the edge of one wrap setting the edge of the next, and winding on more neatly...this synthetic stuff is floppy compared to the wire, and two of us were leaning on the rope left and right to try to get it to wind more evenly...the beginning was pretty good, the last 25' feet or so look like what you see.

frown

Its a Warn 9.5xp...the original literature specified a 125' 5/16" wire rope...I substituted a 125' 5/16" Master Pull synthetic rope...

I got the stuff last year...but didn't have a chance to install it untill a few months ago.

I later found that Warn had changed the claimed capacity to only 100' of 5/16.

So - I was winding on about 25' more than intentioned....hence the mess.

Anyway...I have a paragon run in January..., and just want to resolve my best course of action.

So far, it loks like having MP fix it by cutting off an extension and leaving 100' winch line will be the way to go...but, the rep said "If its too tight, not just a little tight".

laugh

#498462 - 27/12/04 01:27 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't bother cutting it off, unless it was rubbing up against somthing.. What are the odds you are going to use your winch with less then 25' of the cable spooled out? If you are doing a really close quarters pull, put a pully on the other rig, run your cable to the pully & back to a shackle on your rig, that way a 20' pull would spool put 40' of rope, with 80' on the drum, you are well within specs. the advantage on the extra 25' is if the tree is 110'+ away...

#498463 - 27/12/04 03:16 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

It IS rubbing...its smooshed against the spool bars (See top pic)...it might be hard to tell from the top pic though...but if you look closely, the rope is flattened where it runs under the bar.

It also hits the top surface of the bumper the winch is mounted in (On other side from this pic),

as shown is THIS pic:

[Uh Oh !]

#498464 - 27/12/04 05:42 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya, that looks bad..
How much was on there before? 100' or 125'?

#498465 - 27/12/04 06:27 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

The lit said it came with 125'...but it was only 100' of wire rope...I never used the wire rope though, because I had ordered the synthetic, and didn't want to burr anything before getting the new rope on....and I hadn't measured the wire rope I took off, I just let it free wheel while a freind walked off with the hook end...

So - I ordered 125' when I only needed 100', and put it on w/o measuring....and I'd been told the synthetic wraps differently/could cross wind w/o damage, etc...I didn't sweat the wrap job other than doing it under load, and trying to get it to at least initially go onto the spool neatly.

In short, I wound on 25% more than it was supposed to hold.

laugh

I'm considering just letting out 25', and wrapping it around/onto the bumper to take up the slack....and just having a 25' headstart on getting the hook out when needed, etc.

I am not sure of the UV resistance of the rope that would be exposed though....

[Freak]

#498466 - 27/12/04 07:51 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Hey TJ,
As I mentioned in my other message.
I believe the rope is UV resistant (confirm it with masterpull) so winding up the extra 25' on the outside of the bumper shouldnt be a problem.
The rope is exposed to UV even while on the spool, so I doubt its an issue..

" SUPERLINE I Is the only synthetic
winch line that is heated and pre-stretch to
its ultimate strength. It also has a braided
cover that provides excellent abrasion
resistance and protection against mud,
sand, dirt and UV rays. Just another highly
innovative product from Master-Pull."

I would definitely Re-spool it better and neater.
Mine definitely doesnt look like that and I have the 10 foot rock guard at the end of it spooled up.
Guide it evenly on the drum and it should fit more, as soon as it starts to rub, back it off a bit and wrap it up.
If your winch is pretty slow, at least you've got a 25' head start on a pull.. laugh

I got "IT" from ebay.

#498467 - 28/12/04 08:04 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should always (if possible) be using the max. distance of the line for a pull, because the winch is the strongest at it's first wrap. So if you've got an extra 25' on there, then you've got to walk an extra 25' more to get to an anchor point, elsewise, you'll always be pulling with the lowest rating of the winch, which, if you'll look it up, is NOT a good idea... It's only 6940 lbs on the final wrap.

Granted, 6940 will allow you to pull a 4500 lb truck up a 49* free & clear incline, but, if the vehicle is stuck, which it would be, then that degree would be drastically reduced. So, if you've got a rock, or hole that's forcing the front wheels to have to climb up 49 degrees (much more realistic than being on a 49 degree incline!), then you're at the maximum rating of the winch. Anything more, and you've now overloaded the puppy. Not a good idea...

I would cut the extra 25' off, and keep it as a spotter rope. Attach a handle to it, so it's easily grippable, and attach a clip or similiar to the other end so you can quickly attach and detach it from the rig. Having it on the winch is quite literally asking for trouble, as it's NOT a useable length for winching purposes. You could easily overload the winch if you actually pull in that last 25' of rope under load.

#498468 - 28/12/04 08:57 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Quote:
You should always (if possible) be using the max. distance of the line for a pull, because the winch is the strongest at it's first wrap. So if you've got an extra 25' on there, then you've got to walk an extra 25' more to get to an anchor point, elsewise, you'll always be pulling with the lowest rating of the winch, which, if you'll look it up, is NOT a good idea... It's only 6940 lbs on the final wrap.
Two words.. SNATCH BLOCK..

I got "IT" from ebay.

#498469 - 28/12/04 10:45 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Yeah - Two bumper drop shackles and a snatch block, tree straps, etc... are on board, in case I am ever so stuck (Or a compadre is...) that I need that gear ratio to pull hard enough.

Of course, with 25% more rope than rated, the new final wrap would pull even less than the 6,940 lb mentioned, perhaps more like 6,200 lb, due to the even larger effective final drive diameter...which is really closer to the weight of the truck's fully loaded condition.

Most of the places I go, where I'm likely to need the winch, seem to involve a good walk to find something to attach to...or just another (not yet stuck...) truck...and if the other truck isn't stuck, it can typically move further away if it has to....and if its the other truck that's stuck...I can back up instead.

laugh

Come to think of it...its usually more line speed, rather than more power, I'd miss in the past.

laugh

#498470 - 29/12/04 10:03 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

OK - I undid the last 20' or so, and wrapped it around the bumper hoop:

The license plate can still flip up when needed:

And - the rope looks a bit neater than before on the spool too:

(From the Top)

From the bottom, looking up at spool:

So - Overall - I think this pretty much should be the way to go.

laugh

#498471 - 29/12/04 09:44 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
i would undo all of it and cutoff the last 25' at the beginning and then secure it to the winch again. you never want to use the entire winch line anyways, leaving at least 6 wraps on the final layer, so you should be fine by fitting it back on yourself.

#498472 - 30/12/04 07:30 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Thanks Southern!

You like to skip to the end of these threads and just go for it, dont'cha?

wink

#498473 - 30/12/04 01:02 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welp, to answer the original question. Amsteel Rope is made by Samson Rope. So if you want to splice it, follow the directions for a Class II, 12 strand rope, from this page:

http://www.samsonrope.com/home/recmarine/splicing/index.cfm

#498474 - 30/12/04 01:24 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Actually, to answer the original question, its a MasterPull rope...which is somewhat different from the Amsteel Blue stuff made by Samson.

Its Master Pull Superline I to be more specific...

[Uh Oh !]

Comparison of Synthetic Winch Lines:

Make Size / Diameter Minimum Breaking Strength

M-P SUPERLINE 5/16" 16,500lb.

M-P Winch Line 5/16" 14,500lb.

AmsteelŽ Blue 5/16" 12,330lb.

VectranŽ 5/16" 11,700lb.

PlasmaŽ 5/16" 11,700lb.

SpectraŽ 5/16" 9,000lb.

laugh

#498475 - 30/12/04 06:24 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, it's not that much different than Amsteel Blue. They're made by different companies, but with almost identical material.

But the method to splice amsteel blue is the same as it is for masterpull.

If you don't want an answer to your question, why even bother to ask? Why not start off with, "What should I do with this extra 25' of synthetic rope", instead of, "Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?".

#498476 - 30/12/04 10:10 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I DID start off with that question, because I was just going to splice it....and then I received a bunch of advice indicating it would be a bad idea...so I just wrapped the extra around the bumper...

Is that so wrong?

laugh

#498477 - 01/01/05 09:09 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yep, 'cause the advice you got about not doing it was incorrect...

But hey, it's your rig. Do what you wanna' do.

#498478 - 02/01/05 07:25 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Thanks Porche, I'll check it out!

laugh

#498479 - 02/01/05 05:04 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
If I'm not mistaken, Superline I is a braided exterior. The splice methods above won't apply. You can however get a braided splice kit, including the fid and pusher, from a yacht chandlery. I've spliced many braided lines and it's easy with the kit, nearly impossibe without.
Here's a site that shows how to...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal