2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#498480 - 02/01/05 06:18 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
i'm still not following all the splicing stuff. take the whole thing off cutoff the last 25' (not the end with the hook) and put the fitting back on the end or a new one and connect to the spool and under load (tree) tighten the line back on the spool. Before winding back in wrap the first 6-8 wraps as tight as you can by hand. i would never trust splicing the rope to the hook by myself, i would send that in to have it done professionally, that is just a big accident waiting to happen. I know the kickback is minimal on synthetic rope but if you are using your winch to go up an incline and it snaps because of the bad splice you don't want to go backwards hurting yourself or others. If you cut it at the connection point to the spool you have are using just a shorter version of same rope without the side effects of splicing the hook.
please tell me if i'm misreading this whole thing.

#498481 - 03/01/05 08:42 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what winch TJ is using; maybe he said ahead of time, I don't know. But depending on the connection to the winch, is what will determine if he has to splice anything if he cuts off the back-end 25'.

A Ramsey winch uses a hole in the drum flange, and you just tape off the end of the rope, stick it through the hole, then clamp it down w/ a screw and a clamp on the drum flange. A warn winch, however, requires a bolt-eye hole, for the end rope to attach to. So if you needed to splice a new metal end so it would attach (assuming you don't have the crimping tools to do it cleaner), you'd need to know how to splice it. I don't know about other winches, 'cause those are the only two brands i've owned.

Also, if the superwinch rope has a braided cover, then there are directions on that link I sent, before, to cover that type of rope splicing as well.

Guys, there's nothing special about synthetic winch rope, that makes it any different than just plain 'ol synthetic rope. Or regular rope for that matter. Companies (superwinch, warn, etc.) are simply taking synthetic rope, used in the sailing sports for ages, now, and putting hooks on the end to use on an automotive winch. you can splice "winch rope" the same as any other rope, 'cause it IS the same as any other rope. There's nothin' special about it.

#498482 - 03/01/05 08:53 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Porche - its a Warn 9.5xp - and the attachment is as you described.

laugh

Thats why I was origiannly wondering...I was originally going to just cut off the extra, and put the tab back on the new end...and make an extension or something out of the left overs...

Anyway...I've just wrapped the extra rope around the bumper hoop, fini.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#498483 - 03/01/05 11:39 AM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember reading somewhere that the first 30' of so closest to the drum is a special/different type then the reso of the line.. somthing about tighter radius at the drom, then a wrap or 2 up from it..
Here is a writeup on Warn's synth...

#498484 - 03/01/05 12:20 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

That's for the Liquid Crystal stuff, I've got M-P Superline I, its not the same rope...mines got a heat shield over the wraps on the drum, but the rope's the same all the way through.

laugh

MasterPull also makes a LC rope, but again, I think its LC all the way, where the Warn one is LC on the drum only.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#498485 - 03/01/05 12:30 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
[QB]I remember reading somewhere that the first 30' of so closest to the drum is a special/different type then the reso of the line.. [QB]
That's mainly to stave off heat problems associated w/ using an electric winch under load, for long periods of time (like if you're using it to power-out down a hill). For most any useage, the winch is NOT going to heat up enough to melt the rope. Just have to use common sense. If you're winching for 30 minutes straight, then yeah, you're gonna' burn the rope on an electric winch. But the good news is, you're probably going to burn up the winch, too...

If you have a hydraulic winch, you don't need any of the fansy-schmancy heat resistant wrappings at the drums, 'cause hydro's don't have the drum brake that electrics do; aka, they run cooler, for as long as you want them to.

#498486 - 03/01/05 01:04 PM Re: Splicing Synthetic Rope - know How?
TJ Offline

Well, as long as the power steering pump behaves at least...the hydro's stall out too (Milemarkers are great, but you still have the power steering pump flow as a limiting factor for how long you can pull for.)

Yeah - Power out (Letting the load down easy..) is pretty much the only way to heat the drum enough to worry about...and I'm typically in need of power in...if I'm doing power out, I'd take it easy and let it catch up on cooling/splash it, etc.

laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal