Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#499309 - 08/11/04 05:03 PM Black Hawk SAS Build
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Started the collection/build for my Solid Axle Swap (SAS) of my stockish 2k Black Hawk Xterra so I thought I would share my progress/plans and update until I'm done.

For the month of November I'm working on completing & refurbishing the front axle. For December the rear locker, gears, and maybe a 2” body lift. In January I hope to have the kit and complete the swap, which I figure will take the better part of a weekend with the help of some friends.

My goal is to build a street legal Xterra with mostly bolt on parts that is comfortable/capable as a daily driver, on long distance journeys, and able to traverse all kinds of off road terrain from sand, dirt, rocks, etc. I plan on off roading regularly on easy, moderate, and even the most challenging trails in the west (CA, AZ, UT, CO) such as the Rubicon, Fordyce, Hammers, etc. to Moab; Pritchett Canyon, Behind the rocks, Helldorodo (Yeah I know but I have winch to help those in the way [LOL]

I'm planning on using the CALMINI SAS kit (details in below link) Dana 44 Front Axle from a '85 Grand Jeep Waggoner, 5.13/5.14 Ring and Pinion Gears, 35” tires, and dual lockers.
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000153

My planned estimated budget is:
$4500 for what I call the core swap: (2.5k for the CALMINI kit, $500 for a D44 axle with some new parts, $600 for the f/r R&P gears & install kits, $400 front CV driveshaft, $250 body lift or drop link rear shackle setup, $250 misc and/or labor to setup the gears/locker)

$2750 for options I would like from the start: ($150 HD front U-joints, $600 front Eaton e-locker, $700 Rear ARB locker, $300 Skid plates, $850 35" tires and new rims, $150 misc)

$3000 for options I'd like in the future: ($250 Rear Slip Yoke eliminator, $250 Rear drive shaft, $1250 3.9 crawler gears, $1000 custom roll cage, $250 misc custom spring mounts or other hardware)

Well I'm off to a good start laugh and under budget so far

$150 for a Used D44 that's in pretty good shape for the price (see inline)
$55 for Warn Premium Locking Hubs (#20990-M198) off Ebay
$275 for new Nissan 5.14 R&P gears & install kit for the H233B rear axle from somebody that swapped axles before installing them.
$120 for Yukon 5.13 R&P gears for the front D44 from Complete Offroad
$ 40 for mini install kit for the Yukon gears

Can wait to tear into the axle over the next weekend off and start getting greasy wink

Brian

The black hawk as it looks now:

Waggy axle upside down while I was taking off ubolt & plates:

#499310 - 09/11/04 08:07 AM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like this trend. I'd love to see these first builds well-documented for all of us who plan to do SAS, but will need to wait a while to start. Good luck with the build.

#499311 - 09/11/04 08:49 AM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp]

#499312 - 27/06/05 05:16 PM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Xtoolbox Offline

Seeing how it’s been ~ month since I’ve completed the 1.0v SAS conversion I thought I would update this thread:

For the front axle rebuild I ended up replacing:

Inner, Outer Wheel Bearing & Races
Rotors, Calipers, Pads
Inner/Outer Passenger Tie-rods and Drive Outer
Dana Spicer Ball Joints

The front axle upgrades:
Long Field Super U-Joints
RockCrusher D44 Diff Cover/skid
ARB Locker RD116
Yukon 5.13 R&P gears

I spent about 7 hours total removing [rusty stuff, ton of grease all over the axle] rebuilding the front axle, grinding off the old shock/track bar mounts, and cleaning up. Used the following links for reference.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/dana44/
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana44hub.php

The tools that I didn’t already have that I used where:

3/8” hex driver for the Calipers
DANA 44 spindle nut socket – 4 Prong 3 ½” long, 2 3/8” outer, 2 1/16” inner

I purchased all the bearing, brake, and hardware, supplies from my local parts store; AutoZone, tie rods from rockauto [a lot better pricing] and the rest from a couple vendors such as performanceoffroad that I had used in the past.

--------------------------------

So far I have just installed the basic SAS kit and driveshaft and have the front swaybar and rear springs on order.

I spent ~ 12 hours on the rest of job total removing all the IFS stuff, cutting & grinding the upper shock mounts and LCA arm bracket, setting up the shocks/coils, bolting on all the cross members, skids, rear springs, shackles, driveshaft, brake lines, etc.

I did almost all the work myself with the exception of the arm welding & gear setup over a week’s period a couple hours at a time one weekend & at nights after the kids went to bed and whatnot. With a crew could easily be done over a weekend or less.

I used air tools, a good sawzall & grinder and went through a few blades & wheels. Helps to have some good sockets & box /open-ends but I mostly used 9,21,22mm sized stuff I recall with the occasional bigger size for the jam nuts n the arms or the track bar bolt. Two floor jacks helps move the axle around, the creeper will save your back some, and mechanic gloves for the hands.

Overall IMO I don’t think this SAS kit could be easier and well with the ability of average shade tree mechanic [or hack wink ] like me. If you can install a lift & steering system and don’t mind a little cutting & lifting than this kit is no problem.

I wanted to take a moment to give [ThumbsUp] to CALMINI for the great product and outstanding support I’ve received recently on their SAS kit because I really feel like they did the best job possible and I like to acknowledge excellence.

Each time I called the staff was very nice, prompt, and helpful and they went the extra mile to go over every fine detail even after hours if needed. If I ran into sometime, had any issue, question, or whatever somebody would take care of me. I don’t think I ever have received this level of customer support so quickly from any other after market parts vendor and I’ve dealt with many of them over the years. They really showed me that they cared a lot and even rushed shipped stuff to meet my sometimes time demanding requests.

I’m not going to rehash much of a review because one already been posted: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009422

I’m really happy with the CALMINI kit so far; the ride is nice, firmer than stock up front but not as stiff as a 3” lift. Very quite overall, if it wasn’t for the swapper aircraft tire hum I don’t think I would hear anything.

The turning radius is slightly larger than stock but still fine, the steering is different than the stock IFS but a lot like the other solid axle front trucks I drive.

I’m going to add the front sway bar mostly for driving on the highway at speeds, I can mange now but I’m sure I will like it better with one.

I’ve been really impressed with the front kit off-road in the rocks and whatnot; lots of flex, very stable, and controlled at slow speeds. For faster more Baja type stuff I may end up adjusting the valuing/bleed on the shocks to firm things up a bit, but that’s really a personal preference. I ended up going with the stock valuing since the custom one was back ordered and getting the shocks myself, allthough I know CALMINI sells the custom one and runs that one on thier Yellow 01'

As far as my original budget I actually ended up spending less that I had planned about $5,500 so far on everything: Basic kit, coils/shocks, driveshaft, dual ARB lockers, 5.14 gears, rear shocks, $400 in labor for welding, gear, locker setup, tools, misc supplies.

If anybody needs part numbers or more details/pics let me know and I’ll do my best

Brian

#499313 - 27/06/05 10:15 PM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great write up [ThumbsUp] . Your X looks great.

#499314 - 28/06/05 07:10 PM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
box are you still going to do 34's and BL? any bump steer with this set up?

i've always been concerned with the caster and pinion angle up front and that i would have to turn the knuckles. truck looks great. you surely put this one together quickley

#499315 - 28/06/05 08:21 PM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Xtoolbox Offline

Yeah I think I’ll go with some 34x12.5x15 Truxs as my next tire, most likely will try the angle grinder/trimming 1st before the BL, they just might just fit. Those old schools TSL are OD 33.7” new smaller now w/ worn down lugs but fit just fine.

There is some minor bump steer I noticed mostly at higher speeds, might have some thing to do with being sway bar less, and the worn tires? However, waggy’s did come with steering stabilizers stock so I think I’m going the test the one {generic D44] I have on my pathy out and see if there is a difference. I’m pretty sure I’m going to run one anyway off-road to avoid steering fatigue, getting pull into ruts and whatnot with the bigger tires, locker, etc.

No worries about the caster/pinion angles on this kit…I got 6 degrees of caster on the alignment, which is on the high end of the factory spec [4-6] for a waggy axle and virtually no toe. Drives nice and straight

#499316 - 01/07/05 08:45 AM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
............I wanted to take a moment to give [ThumbsUp] to CALMINI for the great product and outstanding support I’ve received recently on their SAS kit because I really feel like they did the best job possible and I like to acknowledge excellence.........
Great to hear!

I've never had any problems with them at all. Last time I called Steve took lots of time to speak to me "engineer to engineer" about some of the finer points of their kit.

That kit is a great deal and will keep the vehicle extremely roadworthy. It gives you the maximum lift without having to modify crossmembers.

A lot of people bristle at the cost of an SAS. I believe that if you can find a cheap axle (like I did), it will save you money in the long run (if starting from stock).

It's amazing how road worthy it seems for all of the extra capabilities.

#499317 - 06/07/05 09:05 AM Re: Black Hawk SAS Build
Anonymous
Unregistered

More pics please.

-Glenn

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal