2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#499802 - 21/10/01 02:14 PM Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA

#499803 - 21/10/01 05:04 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
ned946 Offline

!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah!
WOW!
It looks like it wasn't for the tame of heart!

#499804 - 21/10/01 06:21 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Guy Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Yowzer!

#499805 - 21/10/01 07:39 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Brave? Just say plain stupid. I've been to Odessa Canyon and the only thing dumber than driving a Xterra through it would be a Xterra with the steprails and stock tires still on or possibly a stock Durango wink My wife and kids had trouble walking through that canyon!

#499806 - 21/10/01 07:41 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Down it ? You're supposed to go up it.

Oh... where are all those pictures of Jackel getting through it in a 2WD ?
Todrick ? Do you understand what 4 wheeling is now ?

I know it's a tough trail, but 8 hours ?

#499807 - 21/10/01 07:54 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Xterrian Offline

They weren't satisfied with just driving a Xterra down Odessa Canyon, they attempted to do it without damaging their trucks too badly. It took a little extra time. The canyon is actually easier to go up since the latest floods. That is just my personal opinion though since I've never tried to drive up it.

#499808 - 21/10/01 09:23 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Down it ? You're supposed to go up it.

A BLM volunteer ranger had told us that most drive down it. Normal convention is to drive up Doran Scenic then down Odessa. That way you don't have two groups of trucks meeting in the center.

Here's the topo map

Regardless, I still feel it was a great accomplishment for a Nissan Xterra despite what you may have to say.

#499809 - 21/10/01 09:30 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:

Regardless, I still feel it was a great accomplishment for a Nissan Xterra despite what you may have to say.

For sure! That looks like a fun trail. I am wondering if (as you mentioned) the 7+ rating was for a particular direction on that trail? (not wantin to flame, just wondering)

#499810 - 22/10/01 02:52 AM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Nomination for Xterra of the week pic (to replace your Xterra of the month Ian...Just f ckin around) Amazing picture guys [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1485609&a=13898789&p=55486910&Sequence=0[/img]

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: DGX Factor ]

#499811 - 22/10/01 07:39 AM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Mike Holmes Offline

Loc: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Nice pics as always Snoop! That trail is a 7? Yikes! You must have a more liberal rating system, looks to be a bit harder than the 7's I have done in CO.

#499812 - 22/10/01 07:53 AM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Not for me. I was thinking of doing it. But after what the ranger and the jeep guys said I decided not to. I know what my X can and can't do. I choose to leave it parked.

#499813 - 22/10/01 01:58 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
the BLM officer actually said:

"It is not possible to drive it"

he had recieved complaints from jeep clubs about the trail being undrivable...

it was incredible to see how much it changed...

the section that Jackel drove up lasttime in 20 minutes took almost 3 hours to drive down on saturday...

i will admit i was wrong jackel didn't drive it, but in my defense that is no longer the same trail

#499814 - 22/10/01 03:43 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Odessa rocked as we pushed the X's to the limits and beyond at times to conquer a trail that everybody told us was too difficult for all but the most built rigs with 20" of travel, lockers, clearance, skids, etc like the jeeps on the trail or the lifted XJ with 33's that opted out because of the potential for body damage with the longer wheelbase.

Yeah we took our time and had a blast running it a leisurely pace taking time to spot, hike, mine explore, let the kids play, rest during a long lunch, relax and enjoy the scenery, etc…

Odessa was rated Moab 4+ before the recent flashflood that make this trail even tougher, although I would personally rated it ~ 7+ out of 10, but that's just me. In any case, regardless of direction the challenges are many laugh IMO some spots are tougher for the X to go down then up and the BLM now recommend the descending route partly because the trail gets less chewed up that way according to some of the jeepers.

Overall another fun day Xploring the great outdoor, meeting new friends, sharing, fully utilizing the X, etc…man I love those challenging sun filled days surrounded by some unique scenery and fantastic people smile

Running this trail at night might make me nervous a bit, perhaps I will during the Barstow Poker Run's on 10/27-8. For now a couple of sample pic's until I have the opportunity to post more:

#499815 - 22/10/01 03:46 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H:
That trail is a 7? Yikes! You must have a more liberal rating system, looks to be a bit harder than the 7's I have done in CO.

I think it was rated a 7 BEFORE the floods around labor day. cool

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: LAXterra ]

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#499816 - 22/10/01 04:10 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
ned946 Offline

If there was such a competition, I would vote that run as "Most Extreme" for 2001. Good stuff guys and gals!

Its too bad those Jeeps can't hang with the Xterras anymore :p (yeah, I know....but again, I couldn't resist).

#499817 - 22/10/01 07:02 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Todrick Offline

seriously... this trail is nuts...

it qualified as xtreme before... now it is just plain nuts...

to give a bit of perspective, part of the conversation with the BLM officer went like this:

"so what is the sissiest vehicle to make it?"

"before the flood?"

"yeah"

"stock dodge durrango"

"really, he made it?!?!"

"yep made it all the way... and had 10 grand in damage to show for it."

"how bout after the flood?"

"jeeps clubs are complaining its impassable"

"so an xterra cant make it?"

"they'll never make it"

see in the few months since the last trip the trail went from "impossible for a 4x2"(and we know jackel could have done it) to "impossible for an X" and again the X proves them wrong...

way to go guys, the last part i got to watch was simply amazing

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#499818 - 22/10/01 07:58 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
to give a bit of perspective, part of the conversation with the BLM officer went like this:

What do you expect from a BLM officer ?

Yes it's chewed up and washed out, but it's no where near what "undrivable" looks like.

I would say he was justing trying to scare people away, so they wouldn't have to go in and tow people out.

#499819 - 22/10/01 08:12 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Xterrian Offline

Pick a date Ian, you can stay at my house and I'll go out with you to run the trail. It shouldn't take you more than 2 or 3 hours to run it. I'll video tape you and we can show these goofs what losers they really are wink

#499820 - 22/10/01 08:24 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Todrick Offline

thanks Xterrian... i needed that

#499821 - 22/10/01 08:39 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
Pick a date Ian, you can stay at my house and I'll go out with you to run the trail. It shouldn't take [b]you more than 2 or 3 hours to run it. I'll
video tape you and we can show these goofs what losers they really are wink [/b]

I offer to edit the tape to 8 minutes and put it on the net laugh

Hell let me mount my cameras and I could get some great multi-camera live to tape shots. I will even sacrifice ONE camera as a Smash camera. wink

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#499822 - 22/10/01 09:37 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Cool pics. Can someone explain why you guys say going down is harder than going up?

#499823 - 22/10/01 10:22 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Xterrian Offline

You might not notice it in the pics, but as the flood went down the canyon it built rocks up behind any blockages and cleaned out the water falls that were clear. Driving down leads to more upward crawls over the loose tough stuff and steep bare water falls to drive down. Very different from the norm. I'd be happy to drive up it if you'd like to join me wink

#499824 - 22/10/01 10:28 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
thanks Xterrian... i needed that

You're missing my point, I'm not saying the trail isn't difficult. What I'm saying is that the BLM guy is full of shit, so he doesn't have to deal with anyone getting stuck in there.

I'm also waiting for Todrick to finally admit that he himself has been full of shit for about 2 years now.

Xterrian, I'll be there next year.

#499825 - 23/10/01 12:17 AM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
twitch Offline

Loc: Brea, CA
Toolbox I am down for a night crawl next weekend if I can get sliders by then smile

That trail was the best thing I have been down in a long time, definetely makes me want to go tackle John Bull.

Yatta! forever...
http://www.refriedchicken.com

#499826 - 23/10/01 01:35 PM Re: Odessa Canyon Pictures!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

You're missing my point, I'm not saying the trail isn't difficult. What I'm saying is that the BLM guy is full of shit, so he doesn't have to deal with anyone getting stuck in there.

maybe so but that doesn't explain the jeepers who thought the guys were nuts...

besides when i told the BLM guy(saw him on another trail while the group was in odessa) that they were running odessa and had been gone 7 hours(with sunset approaching), he only suggested we hike in looking for them... he was pretty clear that he doesn't pull people out.... actually he couldn't... he said he only runs odessa in a 6x... wont even take the jeep in there

Quote:

I'm also waiting for Todrick to finally admit that he himself has been full of shit for about 2 years now.

glady... as soon as you admit the same laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal