shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50005 - 14/02/06 09:48 PM Calimi's SYE -- yay or nay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, can't swing the gears, but as described in the gears thread now going on, Calmini's SYE seems interesting. Seems like a good way to button up the T-case and make for a strong link in the drivetrain.

Having some fun toying with the idea of adding revolvers and wondering if a CV set-up using the SYE would help eliminate any problems caused by a regular drive shaft being too short or having the regular u-joint bind and fail. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone who's put one in describe the modification that needs to be made per Calmini on its Web page? Big deal or nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

#50006 - 15/02/06 12:33 PM Re: Calimi's SYE -- yay or nay?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
On my nice to have list smile until then I carry spare u-joints and a shaft on the out of town/tougher runs as insurance.

The stock driveshaft is pretty strong, besides u-joints going out I’ve only seen a few actually break mostly the flange ears holding the u-joints cracking and whatnot.

When the stock shaft/u-joints do fail it can get messy depending on the situation. I’ve worn out a u-joint on my pathy shaft and changed it /wo loosing that much fluid in the tcase by plugging it and being on flat ground while I put in a new shaft.

Now for longer travel yes a two piece CV DS will help out (more slip, higher angles) in that regard and since it will not be as larger diameter wise you’re less likely to contact the rear cross member but it still may need to be notched. Another benefit of a custom DS is you can make it stronger than stock buy using bigger u-joints and/or alloy materials.

With the extra travel the revolvers provide with the appropriate length shocks yes you can pull out the stock driveshaft and one of the reasons why AC recommends the limiting straps.

As far as the mods for the SYE…described as a hack & tap, with the right tools it’s a half day job but the shaft is super tuff and you’re going to need a strong drill and great beffy sharp bits or more. If I was going to do it I might skip the hack part and just tap it that way I could reuse the stock shaft as a spare with some minor changes.

CV shafts run ~400+ depending on what you get, require more maintenance, nd are more prone to wear than regular ones IMO.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal