shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500068 - 12/04/01 04:11 PM Isn't mud deceiving
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
Well I decided to take a little run up the local gas line trail. It was a little muddy but nothing I haven't done before. When I came to a part that you could go left or right, I chose right. It looked a little deeper but still not bad. Then all of a sudden I am sitting on my differentials and all tires spinning. So thank God I put the new winch in on Tuesday. I ran out 60-70 ft of cable hooked got in the truck 4wl 1st gear and when you guys said buy all the winch you can afford you were not kidding. The m8000 is a workhorse. It pulled me deeper into the mud that right out. Of course I didn't have a clevis with me to use the snatch block. But a 4000 lb truck being pulled out of door high mud with an 8000 lb just about did it.
Thank you Warn

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#500069 - 12/04/01 06:02 PM Re: Isn't mud deceiving
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Yeah I learned that lesson yesterday. I know, I know... never go 4-wheelin' alone. But I have no choice since only 2 of my friends have vehicles capable of such play but are complete wusses about using them for such. "I don't want to scratch my truck". UGH. But I digress.

Anyway, I did a similar thing along the power lines down the road from me. Been through there last summer, knew it'd be a but deeper b/c of all the snow melting in the last few days, but...

... I was plodding along in about 3-4" of muddy water and suddenly it became 6-8" of thicker mud under a thin layer of water. I got through it though, barely. My wheels started to spin a little, but I adjusted and they bit in again. ...phew... I'm learning.

Problem is I had to turn around and go back through it to get out. At least then I was ready for it and came in with a bit more momentum to keep me moving without spinning my wheels.

I really need to buy a come-along before doing something like that alone again. No. What I really need is an ARB and a decent winch. But no $$$ for that now.

------------------
later,
Rob

2000 Super Black SE 4x4, 5spd
=========================
"not all those who wander are lost"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#500070 - 13/04/01 10:44 AM Re: Isn't mud deceiving
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
as the warn ads say "Go Prepared". glad to hear you got out of there. snatch block good, always try and use it. lot less stress on yout winch. plus it's good practise for when you really need it.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#500071 - 17/04/01 11:27 AM Re: Isn't mud deceiving
JonSL Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Fl - USA
Go with a Power Puller. The God of all come-a-longs... You can find them in the back of 4X4 mags, I don't have the address handy...

This thing has pull me out of nasty stuff, works underwater, no battery to kill. Also a great tool for moving big trees from the trail. WHat is not in the picture is the snatch hook block. For $120 it has paid for it's self many times over...

------------------
John
00 Silver SE 4X4 5spd
www.sluder.net/xterra

#500072 - 17/04/01 02:19 PM Re: Isn't mud deceiving
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
i've been looking at those. with one of them I could atleast have something for the rear since my warn winch is mounted up front.

how heavy are they? i already have a ton of crap in my cargo area.

they would be great to have a hitch mount for it. hmmm.....

you can also buy them in lumber catalogs. someone posted a link to a lumberjack suply store a few weeks ago for one of these. i ordered a catalog and hopefully they take me seriously and send one. :-)

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal