shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50013 - 19/01/07 04:13 AM Transmission cooler in colder climate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of those of you that already have a transmission cooler and are in colder climate. Do you find that the transmission takes longer to warm up? You could notice it by the torque converter not locking up as quick as it normally does and rougher shifting.

I will be putting a transmission cooler shortly and considering putting a "Thermostatic Control Valve". B&M Racing has one, it is suppose to bypass the transmission cooler when the ATF is below 180F.

Thermostatic Control Valve full description

This week, it was -5F for a few days and would think it would take longer for the ATF to come up to working temperature with a transmission cooler. For that reason, I am seriously considering this control valve.

What do you think?

#50014 - 19/01/07 05:24 AM Re: Transmission cooler in colder climate
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the camping forums I frequent, many people in the northern climates have installed this or something like it with no ill effects.
I say give it a try, if you don't like it or it's effects, then it shouldn't be too hard to remove.
I'm thinking of putting in a tranny gauge first then if needed for towing I'll install the cooler

#50015 - 19/01/07 05:38 AM Re: Transmission cooler in colder climate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not worried about the ill effect, more if it's required in the winter to get the temperature up.

For 70$, the more I think about it, the more I might go without. I will try it without and if I notice it's too hard to warm up the transmission in the winter, then put the control valve. I will put on a temp gauge though, this will really tell me how the temperature is affected.

I bought a camping trailer, so I know I need the transmission cooler, but I decided not to spend the money on the control valve unless I see I need it, since it's easy to add after the fact.

#50016 - 19/01/07 05:27 PM Re: Transmission cooler in colder climate
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can always cover the front of the transmission cooler during winter to block airflow (like you see diesel-owners do).

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal