shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500642 - 10/11/06 10:18 AM HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Some people don't realize that the Calmini kit doesn't come with a new steering system - just an adapter that lets you connect the Nissan pitman arm to the stock Jeep draglink.

Here's what I'm doing as a complete heavy duty replacement system:

I ordered 7 feet of 1.25" DOM from Complete Offroad and a tie rod reamer tool. I also ordered the following four tie rod ends from Auto Zone (slightly cheaper there)::
1) ES2027L - Pitman arm end of draglink (REQUIRES REAMING TO FIT)
2) ES2026R - Tierod end of draglink
3) ES2234R - Driver end of tierod
4) ES2233L - Passenger end of tierod (has a hole in it that the 2026R fits into (ETA - required lots of reaming to fit))

We're going to cut the DOM down to size to make a custom drag link and a custom tierod (my friend has the taps already). The tierod bar will be about 41". We measured the needed draglink length to be 32.5" - but I think we forgot to subtract out the length of the TRE - so I'll post back up real #'s when we're done). You can also get custom cut-to-your-specs links or this entire system pre-made from completeoffroad.com.
partsmike.com has a lot of useful stuff, too - but they are more geared toward hy-steer stuff which is slightly different.

You also have to ream the Nissan pitman arm out from the bottom with the purchased tool (the pitman end now goes in from the bottom). You end up with this setup (which you can also buy pre-assembled from completeoffroad - I just chose to do it the cheaper DIY way):

This will make for a TOUGH-ASS steering setup. My only concern is that the angle of the draglink will be significantly lower than it was previously - and might create some bump steer since its arc will be a bit different than that of the trackbar. It won't be dramatically different, though - so I think it'll be okay. Hmmm... It just occurred to me that maybe I can still have the pitman go in from the top - I think that would lessen the trackbar/draglink angle difference.... I'll see if that is possible when I get the parts. It's a pretty tight fit and a pretty extreme angle with the thing mounting from the top, tho... and this new TRE is going to be bigger/beefier than the one on the Calmini end.

I should have this setup on my truck in a week or two - I'll let ya know how it works out.

#500643 - 10/11/06 01:59 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

it'd be wise to reinforce that steering box area...

#500644 - 10/11/06 02:01 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
it'd be wise to reinforce that steering box area...
confused

#500645 - 10/11/06 07:32 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard Toyotas have a problem in that area. Looks like the setup we put together for my X. Very nice!!

#500646 - 11/11/06 01:22 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jrbbikerx:
[b]it'd be wise to reinforce that steering box area...
confused [/b]
I meant that now the steering box and its mount to the frame will be the weak link, so you might want to reinforce the steering box mount with a steel plate or something

#500647 - 11/11/06 10:30 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Ah... well hopefully I won't hit anything hard enough to make that a problem wink

I mostly just wanted a beefier tierod since it is likely to come into contact with rocks from time to time (and high steer is out of the budget at the moment) - plus this setup is costing about the same as a new stock jeep setup would - so why not smile

#500648 - 11/11/06 09:16 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Kaiser, it's not that you'll hit something that hard. It's that you'll get your tire jambed up against something, and the sheer force of turning the wheel can cause the steering box (weakest link) to literally move on it's mounts, which can cause failure over time.

It's just like how the Nissan stock steering needs an idler arm brace; that shaft is the weakest link, originally. So you brace it, not 'cause you're hitting things hard, but because you're trying to turn the wheels when you're not moving.

#500649 - 12/11/06 07:41 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
The stock waggy stuff is plenty HD if you ask me, having run it 4+ yrs on two different SAS nissans on a lot of hard stuff I think its beefy enough for me. As is it sits above the axle enough that I don't recall contacting it on the rocks much if at all.

Be that as it is, I think it’s a good upgrade to at least change the draglink because the CALMINI adapter is PITA for alignments because of the threading.

Since you already have an ES2026R tierod from CALMINI that goes on top of the pitman couldn’t just leave that as is and then use the ES2027L on the DL connector? This way your angle will be almost the same as it is now and you don’t need to ream the pitmam, which is no big deal but I might try it with the parts you have to see how you like it first.

#500650 - 12/11/06 08:52 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

The end that is on there now from Calmini is a 2223R. I'll consider the option of keeping it when the rest of the parts get here and I can see how it is all going to go together better.

The steel and reamer showed up - auto zone is taking their time with the ends...

#500651 - 13/11/06 09:47 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had zero issues with stock waggy stuff too. those pieces are solid, not hollow - I'll bet they have just as much strength as the DOM.

I too would be worried about changing that draglink angle. You want that as close to parallel to the track bar as possible to avoid bumpsteer. Also, not sure what your clearances will be like when you stuff the left front wheel....will the tierod come into contact with the draglink mounted on the bottom of the pitman arm?

#500652 - 27/11/06 07:58 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Done! (almost... need to take apart, clean, paint, get one more LH jam nut etc...).

I drove around a bit last night and it is much tighter/nicer than that 20 year old original Jeep stuff I had on there before. These parts are beefy as hell. If there is ever a nuclear explosion I think the truck will be gone and there will just be my Calmini radius arms and this steering setup sitting on the ground unscathed [LOL]

These pics were too dark - so I upped the brightness/contrast a bit. I decided to keep the TRE entering from the top on the pitman arm end to keep the draglink/trackbar angles the same. It baaaarreeely clears the bottom of the frame - but it does appear to clear. I can't leave the zerk fitting on there though or it won't

[Uh Oh !]

#500653 - 27/11/06 09:39 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Xtoolbox Offline

Good deal, so what where the final length’s of the TR & DL?

Did you end up using all parts listing in the 1st post? Doesn’t look like you did any reaming since your DL tie rod is coming in from the top on the pitman and the ends on the TR look like the fit the stock knuckles.

I would fully cycle the supsension, ramp-it, put it up on a rack, etc just to double check all the clearance.

BTW please don't tell me you're going to use white paint wink

#500654 - 27/11/06 09:56 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
BTW please don't tell me you're going to use white paint wink
I was joking last night about doing precisely that just to piss everyone off [LOL]

We jacked it up near the limit of the suspension travel and turned it back and forth to check clearance - but I need to do more checking.

The parts list in the first post was correct.

The ES2027L draglink end requires a bigger hole in the pitman than the stock setup - so we reamed that out bigger ($70 reamer bit from complete offroad). We also had to ream out the ES2233L. The hole that was in it was very small and tapered for rear entry ( eek ). The stock knuckles were fine - no reaming there.

The tierod is 41". ETA:: Draglink is 26".

I took the links off again tonight to clean 'em up and paint 'em.

#500655 - 27/11/06 07:49 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

Some more pics of the process (reaming the TRE and the pitman, tapping the DOM etc) in THIS THREAD on the Texas Nissan Trucks board

#500656 - 28/11/06 03:51 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats on getting it done. I'm having a local guy make me a beefier tie rod and drag link set up when my SAS is done...but I have to agree with the other guys that the stock Waggy stuff is pretty stout though...but glad you got it done. I'm being cautious as well, which is why I'm having mine made to replace the Jeep stuff...better to be safe than sorry I guess, and better to have newer stuff than 23 year old parts in my opinion.

#500657 - 28/11/06 05:00 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

I wouldn't have done it if it were much more expensive than stock... but not counting the $70 reamer bit it cost me about $200 for my setup - which as I understand it is about the price of a new Jeep setup... and now I have easily replaceable readily available insanely stout TREs all the way around laugh

The downside is that I'll hear no end of it if my chit breaks in Arizona this year [LOL]

... Painted it and reinstalled last night:

Just boring black... personally I think it could use a candy stripe wink

#500658 - 30/11/06 03:29 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Xtoolbox Offline

Nah red white and blue will be better, think texas man [LOL] and fix that diff guard wink

Just bought 3’ of 1.5" .250 Wall D.O.M from PS and some weld in tube adapters : 11/16 and 7/8” to make a new draglink for ~$50. Going to keep the CALMINI tie rod (ES2223R) to pitman (11/16) and use a ES2027L or ES2224L (7/8) on the other end.
http://www.spydercustoms.com/parts/steering/tie_rod_links.htm

Needed another alignment today and I'm sick of having to take stuff apart to do so.

Going to use their ~ $10 SB01 bracket to make the pass trackbar bolt double sheer also.

#500659 - 30/11/06 09:05 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Nah red white and blue will be better, think texas man [LOL] and fix that diff guard wink

Just bought 3’ of 1.5" .250 Wall D.O.M from PS and some weld in tube adapters : 11/16 and 7/8” to make a new draglink for ~$50. Going to keep the CALMINI tie rod (ES2223R) to pitman (11/16) and use a ES2027L or ES2224L (7/8) on the other end.
http://www.spydercustoms.com/parts/steering/tie_rod_links.htm

Needed another alignment today and I'm sick of having to take stuff apart to do so.

Going to use their ~ $10 SB01 bracket to make the pass trackbar bolt double sheer also.

Seeing as I haven't done my SAS yet, and am trying to get the low down on every little thing before it's done in a couple of months...what's the purpose of the double shear on the pass. side of the trac bar? Is it so it doesn't shear off as easily? Are there known problems of this happening to others? Thanks in advance!

Dave.

#500660 - 03/12/06 08:53 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Xtoolbox Offline

Dave..double yes on that.

If there are two thing the kit needs improvement on IMO it would be a double shear mount for the passenger side track bar mount since its single shear and a draglink threaded LR so adjustments could be made for alignments /wo taking pieces apart. I'm taking care of this with the parts I ordered from PS, basically a $60 fix.

#500661 - 04/12/06 09:20 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Dave..double yes on that.

If there are two thing the kit needs improvement on IMO it would be a double shear mount for the passenger side track bar mount since its single shear and a draglink threaded LR so adjustments could be made for alignments /wo taking pieces apart. I'm taking care of this with the parts I ordered from PS, basically a $60 fix.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

#500662 - 05/12/06 05:24 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

The other cool thing about this DOM steering is all the SAS trucks use the same TREs. Despite some are Coilover, Ford coils, SOA leaf or the next one will be SUA leaf. We all have the same components. laugh

#500663 - 28/08/07 03:59 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Kaiser Offline

BTW, I recently ordered some flush mount grease fittings from McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/ part number 10595K14) and put one on the draglink end that goes into my pitman. There wasn't enough clearance for a zerk fitting so I've been running with an open hole 'till I got these things.

#500664 - 28/08/07 11:30 AM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Xtoolbox Offline

Yeah been really happy with my setup after 8+ months of abuse [LOL]

For the draglink:
3’ of 1.5" .250 Wall D.O.M
Tube Insert I.0 ID - 11/16"-18 RH
Tube Insert 1.0 ID - 7/8"-18 LH
ES2027L TIE ROD DRAG LINK, LH 7/8" X 18 with Jam nut (Tie rod to drag link connector)
Re-used the included CALMINI tie rod (ES2223R) 11/16” x 18RH (Drag link to pitman )

For the tierod:
41” of DOM custom cut with 7/8”-18 RH 3” threaded one side, 7/8”-18 LH 3” threaded the other.

ES2234R TIE ROD END ,RH 7/8" X 18 WITH JAM nut (Divers side tie)
ES2233L - TIE ROD END ,LH ( RE-TAPER for ES2234x) 7/8" X 18 WITH JAM nut (Passenger side)

Tie rod ends from http://www.partsmike.com since they re-taper the passenger side rod w/ no extra charge and the prices where pretty good. Tube and adapters from http://www.spydercustoms.com/ good prices, services and they had the adapters that I needed. Only thing I had to do was to cut down the draglink to fit and weld in the two bungs. PS would have done that for me but it was only a 15 minute job. Around ~ 175 total for everything.

If you want to ream the pitman like Kaiser PM will make you a custom lengthed ready to bolt-on setup for ~ $249 and you could add the zerk like he referenced. They normally use DOM .188" wall but you could pay a bit more and go with .250
http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=204&rn=1332&action=show_detail

#500665 - 28/08/07 12:45 PM Re: HD SAS steering setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the price difference between .188 and .250 get the .250. wink

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal