shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500853 - 21/06/07 06:34 PM Alignment question given new TC steering...
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
...OK...steering system is installed but the truck isn't truly driveable...the alignment is SOOOOOO far off...the truck looks like its suspension is going to snap...the tires are tilted so that the bottoms of the tires are farther out than the tops and the fronts of the tires are toed way in toward each other...so my question is...will it just be easiest to take the truck in and let a professional align it? and will they know how to adjust my truck given its new steering system? Thanks!

#500854 - 21/06/07 06:52 PM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
Anonymous
Unregistered

To get the camber caster set, you should just take it in to get it aligned. In the meantime you can set the toe very easily with your setup.
As for the shop knowing how to adjust your new steering, AFIK the only thing that gets adjusted differently is the tie rods...and it's not a different concept, just different design (and the design is similar enough to a solid axle heim setup that they've probably seen it once before).

#500855 - 22/06/07 08:32 AM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I sent you a PM before I saw this post.

#500856 - 22/06/07 01:00 PM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am confused as to how installing a steering setup altered your camber?

Toe is easy to do with a spare set of hands.

Adjust on each side evenly until you have about 1/4" of toe in. (using the outside shoulders as a measuring point in front of , and on the back side of the tires, half way up.

#500857 - 23/06/07 02:03 AM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Well, you could do a by eye version as a band-aide...but if you want it perfect, the machines are a lot more accurate.

Essentially, if it was aligned properly, and all you did as take off and replace the steering linkages....those are all that should be off...unless you also do more lift, etc.

The lift pulls it over as it goes up on that side (Pulls the linkage), etc.

Just loosen the drag link, let it slide out until its not pulling anymore/you can get things somewhat straight...and see what that does for you for now.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#500858 - 24/06/07 11:19 AM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Well, its all done...perfect setup now...and I love it...very nice feeling...very solid and precise...couldn't be more happy...Thanks to everyone!!

#500859 - 25/06/07 12:04 PM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

#500860 - 31/12/07 01:14 PM Re: Alignment question given new TC steering...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this is an old post but I am getting ready to put my TC steering on. Anything i should really know. Like where did you get the alignment? Also how did you get your pitman arm off?
All the help will be greatly appreciated
Bruce

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal