shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500917 - 28/11/03 01:29 PM lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just wanted to know where i can get myself air lockers for my X. I can't seem to find anyone who has some for it. Because i always seem to get stuck with the limited slip and i am guaranteed if i were to get air lockers my X will be great in the trails. If u can just tell me were i can get them and what companies make them. thanks

#500918 - 28/11/03 01:37 PM Re: lockers?
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Have you tried looking at/for ARB lockers?

#500919 - 28/11/03 05:58 PM Re: lockers?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
ARB is the only locker for the front and rear on the Xterra, though Calmini is supposed to have a LockRight for the open-diffed rear now if not very soon.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#500920 - 29/11/03 09:45 PM Re: lockers?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
have you upgraded your tires yet. the stock tires leave alot to be desired.

#500921 - 30/11/03 01:15 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No i still have my original tires on but i got stuck in a mud pit this weekend and i am sure i would have got out if i had lockers

#500922 - 30/11/03 04:43 AM Re: lockers?
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Quote:
No i still have my original tires on but i got stuck in a mud pit this weekend and i am sure i would have got out if i had lockers
Possibly.

I assume you are aware that you are looking at several thousand dollars for the lockers.

Toy Man

#500923 - 30/11/03 10:14 AM Re: lockers?
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Get some tires first. They'll make a world of difference.

#500924 - 30/11/03 11:48 AM Re: lockers?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Don't give lockers too much credit. In mud, a locker really won't make a huge difference if you're already out of traction. Tires are a far better upgrade if you're trying to deal with mud.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#500925 - 30/11/03 09:28 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i guess u guys are probably right, its just that once i saw that hummer doing its thing, i was just nutts about its capability. But would u guys get a lift and tires first or a grill and skid plates first???? and which company do u think has the best stuff

#500926 - 30/11/03 10:32 PM Re: lockers?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
i guess u guys are probably right, its just that once i saw that hummer doing its thing, i was just nutts about its capability. But would u guys get a lift and tires first or a grill and skid plates first???? and which company do u think has the best stuff
First a Hummer comes from the factory with much better tires than our Xterras and can have factory lockers. Don't count on keeping up with one.

Tires do more for getting farther down the trail than anything else. Even with a lift a 32" is about as big as you can go before trimming is necessary. And that's sticking with stock rims. Get some from a junk yard. The 17" rims on you 2003 S/C don't have much of a selection of tires. Most aftermarket rims have different backspacing and force you to a body lift and trimming sheet metal to fit a 33"x12.5" tire.

Skid plates couldn't hurt. How soon is dependent on the terrain you drive in, how agressive/stupid you are offroad and how you feel about denting or puncturing you gas tank, oil pan or transmission. If all you are doing is blasting through mud, I wouldn't put skid plates on. It just complicates cleening.

Grill? Do you mean a grill guard? Every one of them on the market is purely cosmetic shit. You have to replace the bumper with a Shrockworks, Calmini, ARB or TJM bumper to get any real protection. You have to do that anyway to mount a winch.

#500927 - 02/12/03 03:56 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that once i am going to get a lift kit and put tires, im am going to change the mags because not too many good tires fit on the 17". I really want to get a grill guard for the front but want to keep some good looks to my X, i can really find any that will, except for ARB but it doesnt fit the X. want kind of tires would you guys recomend?

#500928 - 02/12/03 05:27 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

XYellow, What are you talking about ARB being the only one that fits? Do you mean the Bull Bar or a simple grill/brush guard. Waag makes a totally useless grill/brush guard. ARB, TJM, Calmini, and Shrockworks make Bull Bars to accomadate winches. As far as the wheels go. Goodyear Mud Terrain Radials in 265/70/16 are awesome tires. What else does a person need? As far as what order you do your mods, where we ride at, tires and skid plates are the main priority.

#500929 - 02/12/03 09:29 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeh i was talking about pull bars, because i want to later on put a winch, what do you think of the goodyear mtr i think thats the name

#500930 - 03/12/03 10:26 AM Re: lockers?
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by srtmo:
Goodyear Mud Terrain Radials in 265/70/16 are awesome tires.
Goodyear doesn't make a Mud Terrain tire. Goodyear MT/R stands for Maximum Traction Radial not Mud Terrain Radial.

I've heard numerous people say that the MT/Rs aren't that great in mud, they are designed more for rock crawling.

-Michael

#500931 - 03/12/03 10:54 AM Re: lockers?
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
Goodyear doesn't make a Mud Terrain tire. Goodyear MT/R stands for Maximum Traction Radial not Mud Terrain Radial.

I've heard numerous people say that the MT/Rs aren't that great in mud, they are designed more for rock crawling.

-Michael

the MT/R stands for maximum traction reinforced... read the sidewall.

though, i do believe they are radials though...

david [Geek]

#500932 - 03/12/03 02:03 PM Re: lockers?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
But would u guys get a lift and tires first or a grill and skid plates first???? and which company do u think has the best stuff
I think Webber and Kenmore make really great grills. Check out this one.

wink

#500933 - 03/12/03 04:11 PM Re: lockers?
wordtothis Offline

laugh [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

make your own skids if you don't want to buy a new bumper, all of the aftermarket ones bolt to new bumpers, the factory "splashguard" is what you've got unless you want to shell-out $600 for a skid plate mount...
e.g. bumper

david [Geek]

#500934 - 03/12/03 09:19 PM Re: lockers?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
damn this dude is getting the runaround.......

1. tires........goodyear m/tr's are good in mud i use them in it quite often and they clean out awesome. 32x11.50 on 15"rims are about as big as you can get without to much trimming. 31x11.50 requires trimming the mudflap, with no lift or torsion crank at all.
2. winch bumper....as stated do not go for a grill guard as it is crapola and will cause more damage in an accident. the companys listed above have good reps. and great products several members use them.
3. rock sliders.....along the lines of skid plates these need to be put on as one of the first mods in my opinion and remove the stock step rails as they are cosmetic, these weigh in around 65-75 pounds combined weight and offer protection from objects slamming into you're rocker panel which is expensive to fix.
4. skids.......the ultimate protection for underneath the truck.
5. winch.....go Warn nothing else
6.remove the mudflaps.
just a few ideas all in my own opinion.......

#500935 - 04/12/03 05:41 AM Re: lockers?
wordtothis Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by southernx7:
damn this dude is getting the runaround.......

1. tires........goodyear m/tr's are good in mud i use them in it quite often and they clean out awesome. 32x11.50 on 15"rims are about as big as you can get without to much trimming. 31x11.50 requires trimming the mudflap, with no lift or torsion crank at all.
2. winch bumper....as stated do not go for a grill guard as it is crapola and will cause more damage in an accident. the companys listed above have good reps. and great products several members use them.
3. rock sliders.....along the lines of skid plates these need to be put on as one of the first mods in my opinion and remove the stock step rails as they are cosmetic, these weigh in around 65-75 pounds combined weight and offer protection from objects slamming into you're rocker panel which is expensive to fix.
4. skids.......the ultimate protection for underneath the truck.
5. winch.....go Warn nothing else
6.remove the mudflaps.
just a few ideas all in my own opinion.......
totally what he said with the exception of the M/T R's unless that's really what you need, some BFG AT's are a pretty sweet setup too just so you know...

best of luck, southernx has a cool truck too so you should listen to him.

david [Geek]

#500936 - 08/12/03 08:05 PM Re: lockers?
SOK Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Going back to the original topic: Lockers….
In my opinion the locking differential(s) significantly helps on the rocky and sandy trails. I was in CO last year and I had to use momentum to tackle many sections of some moderate trails. This is not a good thing… I can still see scratches on my chassis when I change oil.
This year I tackled the same trails with the rear locker and I was stunned. This is a completely different truck. The biggest problem I had were steep sections with sandy and rocky surface. All problems gone. Someone may argue that my skills improved over a year but I would doubt that….
I am also very proud of my work since I put this locker pretty much just by myself in my garage. This was a big jump from my previous project (oil change). Anyway the locker works like a charm (after I fixed leaks from the compressor) and I think this is the best mod you can do to your truck (after decent tires).

This spelling is killing me. Not that anyone cares anyway...

#500937 - 09/12/03 07:34 AM Re: lockers?
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
Quote:
General Grabber AW's + Mud = Stuck

the tread frequently fills with mud and they become slicks making further traction difficult. Airing down sometimes helps.

and ditto what southernx7 said , except I'd pic BFG A/T KO's, but I also have the 16" rims.

Mudflaps rip off on the first thing you cross.

Skid plates are nice if you have the $$ but everything sits higher that your frame so unless you are rock crawling or stump clearing the frame does well to keep most things out.

Step rails I have left mine in place and have been saved from crossing logs which would have hit the rocker panel, although they are aluminium, and frequently people bend them at right angles in the middle. I leave them on up north, logs, and take them off for the badlands in ATTICA.

Must haves, NEW TIRES, Rock sliders, removed mudflaps. Anything else is gravy.

#500938 - 09/12/03 08:10 AM Re: lockers?
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
For only a few $$$ you can strenghen up the factory oil and fuel tank skid plates by welding strips of 1" x 1/4" band strap or other similar metal strips to it. It only takes a 1/2 day to do it . It's not the most glamorous looking mod but you can't believe how much it improves on the original....

#500939 - 09/12/03 08:10 AM Re: lockers?
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Quote:
This year I tackled the same trails with the rear locker and I was stunned. This is a completely different truck.
Ahh - another convert.

Now you can start saving for a front locker..

Toy Man

#500940 - 09/12/03 12:02 PM Re: lockers?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by SOK:
Going back to the original topic: Lockers….
In my opinion the locking differential(s) significantly helps on the rocky and sandy trails. I was in CO last year and I had to use momentum to tackle many sections of some moderate trails. This is not a good thing… I can still see scratches on my chassis when I change oil.
This year I tackled the same trails with the rear locker and I was stunned. This is a completely different truck. The biggest problem I had were steep sections with sandy and rocky surface. All problems gone. Someone may argue that my skills improved over a year but I would doubt that….
I am also very proud of my work since I put this locker pretty much just by myself in my garage. This was a big jump from my previous project (oil change). Anyway the locker works like a charm (after I fixed leaks from the compressor) and I think this is the best mod you can do to your truck (after decent tires).

This spelling is killing me. Not that anyone cares anyway...
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the install set you back?

#500941 - 10/12/03 09:13 AM Re: lockers?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Uh... unless I read his post incorrectly, the install was free...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal