2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500992 - 02/10/04 07:30 AM Re: lockers?
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Refresh my memory as to why you would install a front LSD vs a front locker?

Toy Man

#500993 - 02/10/04 08:09 AM Re: lockers?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man:

Toy Man
With the LSD you get 90% of the effect 100% of the time and can still turn. The front locker is used less than 10% of the time mainly because it makes turning nearly impossible.

#500994 - 02/10/04 08:58 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man:
It’s the learning curve and the increased risk of breaking something that keeps me from locking the front. Generally, those in my club I go on runs with are not locked, so the front LSD should be adequate. If I had the opportunity to do challenging trails on a regular basis, then being locked front and back would debatably be the best route to take. Unfortunately for me, the nearest trail from where I live in Los Angeles is about an hour away so I don’t get out as much as I would like and hence, less time to develop the skill of using the front locker correctly.

I have a manual transmission and would also be wise to change out the gears. But for now, being locked would serve me better in the types of the situations I find myself on the trail. Here’s the previous discussion on LSD vs. locker found at the end of the thread. Your input in that discussion was very helpful.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000555

#500995 - 02/10/04 11:45 PM Re: lockers?
Toy Man Offline

I disagree about the benefits of a front LSD but charge ahead - it's your money.

Toy Man

#500996 - 03/10/04 01:59 AM Re: lockers?
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrah:
Off Road Unlimited in Burbank took over and did the mounting of the compressor and switches on Project X. I talked to them and they said hooking up the lines and fabricating the bracket to the bumper would cost time plus materials. They charge $80 an hour and it would take a full day. The worse case scenario for the compressor install is about $640.00. I am going to opt to have it all done at Tri-County. If anyone has some pics of an ARB compressor installed in a front bumper (preferably Calmini bumper) and especially the bracket, I would very much appreciate it. http://www.offroadunlimited.com.

For the front LSD, Tri-County would charge about $700 total but that was just an estimate until they look up the actual cost of the part. Although they have installed lockers on two other Xterras, they are not as familiar with installing the front LSD. I told him I would get him information on the install and he said that would be very helpful. Brent was kind enough to post step-by-step instructions with pictures so I will be able to provide him with that. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xterra/tech/LSD/ They said if I could find a front LSD on my own they would only charge for the install.

Thoughts are welcome.
I would recommend http://www.fourxdoctor.com/ in Burbank. [ThumbsUp]

They are a ARB and CALMINI recommended installer. They installed the first 3.92:1 transfer case gears in the nation in my X. Installed the CALMINI steering. Installed the CALMINI LSD in the front with WARN Premium Hubs(with fuses to prevent grenading CVC's) and ARB lockers in the rear. laugh

Off-Road Unlimited in Burbank is more like... if you have UNLIMITED money we will charge a arm and a leg. I went to them for a qoute on the ARB compressor install... they gave me the same B.S. price to mount it near the horn. I lost faith when I got a Optima Yellow Top Battery and they installed it with out cleaning the cables of corrosion. They gave me some B.S. about they don't have corrosion problems with Fords and didn't have anything to clean it with. mad

Four X Doctor mounted my ARB compressor to the first production CALMINI bumper. [ThumbsUp]

Bottom line if you look a my Rubicon Trail link... my vehicle was set-up by Four X Doctor with mostly CALMINI parts and a ARB rear locker. [ThumbsUp]

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#500997 - 03/10/04 08:13 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:
I would recommend http://www.fourxdoctor.com/ in Burbank. [ThumbsUp] They are a ARB and CALMINI recommended installer. They installed the first 3.92:1 transfer case gears in the nation in my X. Installed the CALMINI steering. Installed the CALMINI LSD in the front with WARN Premium Hubs(with fuses to prevent grenading CVC's) and ARB lockers in the rear. laugh

Four X Doctor mounted my ARB compressor to the first production CALMINI bumper. [ThumbsUp]

Bottom line if you look a my Rubicon Trail link... my vehicle was set-up by Four X Doctor with mostly CALMINI parts and a ARB rear locker. [ThumbsUp]
Wow! Thank you Cary! I see Four X Doctor is going to be at the Off Road Expo this coming weekend so I'll definitely stop by and talk with them. Off Road Expo Link .

I should have had this completed weeks ago but I've been spending a lot of time researching and deciding on switch placement and compressor mounting. As much as I like daydreaming about mods, I'm ready to be done with this project and move on to the next thing. Hmmm... WARN hubs huh. laugh I just replaced both my CVCs a couple weeks ago. May have to wait on the hubs though. My firm gave us "inconvenience" bonuses since they are moving to a new location, but not enough to cover lockers and hubs. frown But that's okay, it will give me something else to add to my to-do/daydreaming list. cool

Thanks again! I very much appreciate the info. [Wave]

#500998 - 04/10/04 02:21 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
If anyone has some pics of an ARB compressor installed in a front bumper (preferably Calmini bumper) and especially the bracket, I would very much appreciate it.
Why mount it on a bumper?? The ARB compressor is freaking tiny. Here's a pic of my install (please pay no attention to the dirt...):

Here's what's involved... Rotate the cruise control unit, and slide down the fender slightly. Install bumper on top of fender. no special brackets involved. Time to do it: 'Bout 20 minutes, tops.

But on another note... DON'T BUY THE ARB AIR COMPRESSOR!!!!! It's junk. I've had nothing but problems with 2 of them, so far. The first one was non-running when first purchased. Took it apart, and found that the internal power wires weren't soddered, and were disconnected. Got an immediate replacement. Second one just crapped out on me for the final time this past weekend. It's just over a year old. Guess what...out of warranty. Save yourself the time and trouble, and buy a reputable air compressor. The ARB just plain doesn't cut it. (And if you actually plan on airing up tires with it, please remember to bring a chair, umbrella, and a jug of lemonade, because you will be sitting there a long, long, long time, waiting for it to fill a tire)

#500999 - 04/10/04 04:51 PM Re: lockers?
Toy Man Offline

ARB air compressor - another view.

Mine has held up fine for 3 years.

How big of tires are you airing up? The ARB works fine with my 31" tires.

Toy Man

#501000 - 04/10/04 09:38 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

1. Rotate the cruise control unit, and slide down the fender slightly. Install bumper on top of fender. no special brackets involved. Time to do it: 'Bout 20 minutes, tops.

2. Save yourself the time and trouble, and buy a reputable air compressor. The ARB just plain doesn't cut it.

3. And if you actually plan on airing up tires with it, please remember to bring a chair, umbrella, and a jug of lemonade, because you will be sitting there a long, long, long time, waiting for it to fill a tire)
1. Umm .... I kind of don't get the part about "slide down the fender slightly" and "install the bumper on top of the fender." My apologies if it is just me that doesn't get it. I had thought that there would be more work involved in installing the compressor under the hood, but apparently you were able to do yours fairly quick. I have a 2001 with cruise control and am not sure if it is the same set up as yours. I'll take a look when I get home.

2. What brand do you suggest if not ARB? I would like to check into it.

3. I have a 10# CO2 that I use for the tires. I was considering using the CO2 instead of the ARB compressor. But again, where would I mount the CO2 if I decide to use it instead? It seems I need to refill the CO2 rather frequently since I share my air. But if CO2 may be an easier/cheaper/more efficient way, then I would go that route. Here's a link to the previous discussion on mounting in the engine compartment (with pic) and use of CO2 as an alterantive. http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000150;p=1

I previously posted a pic with the CO2 mounted on the back of a Skid Row bumper. But now I'm wondering when you swing the tire carrier away, what happens with the air lines? That may be an insurmountable problem.

#501001 - 05/10/04 09:24 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In order to make enough room for a compressor, the cruise control unit must be moved towards the engine a couple inches or so, which also means it slides down the fender a bit. You can reattach it with bolts through the fender, as that's all it is attached with in the first place. Then route the chords to make sure they will not bind in any way. On a 2002, there turned out to be a mounting tab in the perfect location, to hold the cable in place, without having to do any thinking/custom bracketing.

As far as the ARB compressor, yeah, the compressor did OK with 31x10.5s, but since it is a very short duty cycle compressor, it still was very, very slow. Plus, it is not constructed very well on the inside (as noted when I took mine apart).

I'm still looking for the best alternative, at the moment, but I have a few different needs/wants, from the sounds of it, to you. Any 100% duty cycle compressor from Viair (which can be found for comperable price to the ARB) would be a good choice.

Really, the only benefit to using the ARB compressor, was ease of installation. It came with all the wiring to, quite literally, plug and play. But if I had to do it over (which incidentally, I am...), I wouldn't have gone with it, and would have spent the time doing it well, from the start.

#501002 - 20/10/04 07:00 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did the same thing with the cruise control mounted further down the fender

#501003 - 21/10/04 11:08 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK now i am deciding between a front LSD or a rear locker, which do you guys think would be better if you could only have one. I have an LSD in the rear but on the stock one. Unfortunately i dont have money for both and I dont want a front locker as the amount of times that you could use it would make it not very useful to me. Thanks guys

#501004 - 21/10/04 11:14 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Locker in the rear is much, much more effective, than an LSD in the front. Always get traction to the rear, first, then worry about the front.

Reason is, if you're climbing a hill, or climbing a rock, the truck is gonna' be on an angle, nose high. Which means there's more weight on the rear axle than on the front, when the weight shifts. So you're naturally going to have more traction available at the rear than at the front. Doesn't do you any good to have both front wheels turning, if there's not enough weight on them to pull the truck forward.

#501005 - 21/10/04 01:16 PM Re: lockers?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yup, I have a front LSD in my X w/ the factory rear LSD that has been tuned a bit. It's an improvement no doubt but still short of what I've seen a locked-rear, open-front X is capable of. I got my front LSD fairly cheap and had it installed in trade for some things, so it was a no-brainer vs. coughing for an ARB. If I could afford an ARB, I'd have gotten one first.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#501006 - 21/10/04 02:53 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the rear is important, but if one side is in a mod hole, and the other on a wet rock, all that is left is the front end. I would rather have somthing up front, rather then wet boots from laying out winch cable.

#501007 - 22/10/04 07:26 AM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're rear is sitting half in a mud hole, half on slick rock, then that means 1)your fronts just came through the same mud, so the tires are wet and/or caked, and 2)the weight of the truck is on the rear axle ('cause you're sittin in a hole). That front, even with locker, isn't going to have enough traction to pull you out.

I'll use an SAS Pathy for an example:

In picture 1, you'll see the situation:
Picture 1

In picture 2, you'll see the rear axle "results":
Picture 2

Notice, the weight is on the rear axle, one side is in the mud, another side is up on the muddy bank. The front is out of the hole completely. This particular Pathy is locked in the front, and open in the rear. Notice how well his front "pulled" him through the hole... The vehicles that were locked in the rear, and open in the front, didn't have any problems with this area, and drove right through it.

Lock the front first, and you're wasting your time and $$. 'Nuf said.

#501008 - 22/10/04 12:12 PM Re: lockers?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
In picture 2, you'll see the rear axle "results":
Picture 2
This particular Pathy is locked in the front, and open in the rear.
By the looks of that photo, his front wheels aren't doing anything. confused He may be locked up front, but it doesn't do much good if the transfer case isn't engaged.

Nevertheless, locking the rear is better than locking only the front in most circumstances, especially on an IFS truck.

#501009 - 22/10/04 01:04 PM Re: lockers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't lock the front first...Its a waste of $$$.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal