Okay-I did a search on failed tranny's and found lots of stuff, but nothing like what I encountered. At 93k miles while on a road trip, we stopped for gas. I put trans in Drive and I get a horrible grinding noise, move forward- more grind- put in park- quiet. I panic- find a local trans shop that open in morning and start driving there. Trans hangs in first-grinding away then abrupt shift to third and noise goes away completely. I say screw it and get on the freeway to get to destination and a bigger town (was in Indio at midnite.) which is Bakersfield. Find out after some calling that ther is no trannys in town until Monday- it's Saturday. Have extended warranty and decide since no noise in third/OD- to drive her home on the freeway and hope for the best. Does fine, but still sounds horrible in first. At dealer they find 2nd gear planet is shattered and in pieces in the bottom of pan. New trans and no troubles at 124k. Thanking myself for buying extended warranty.

Here is the details- 2WD, never towed with and never abused. Dealer never ever saw this before (or since). How about you?