shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#501193 - 18/08/09 10:06 AM Axle info
xyellow Offline

I was wondering for the SAS, once you find an axle what parts do you need to get with the axle. Meaning brakes, steering issues, etc.. and will anything be transferable from the xterra. Also what gears do you recommend if running 35" or 33" tires.

#501194 - 18/08/09 10:45 PM Re: Axle info [Re: xyellow]
Casper Offline

Loc: Truckee,Ca
xyellow,
There are differing opinions on what you are looking for. When I looked for my axle I wanted the whole thing. That way I would know I had every part. The following is a list of parts I replaced.

1. Calipers, for $36 brand new fully loaded with pads and bolts I felt it was worth it, and not worth the risk of having a 26 year old part fail.
2. Gears, I wanted 5:13's
3. Steering. The Calmini kit comes with what you need to use the stock steering, but again I did not want to use and old part. Plus I wanted something stronger that stock.
4. Locking Hubs. Happened to be the one thing I did not get with the axle.
5. Diff cover. Just wanted a stronger one, but you could also just get a diff guard.

If I had it to do again, I would still look for a complete axle.
Hope that helps. As for the gearing question, my preferance was 5:13's for 35 inch tires. Even with these gears I still have problems climbing steap hills on the freeway. Others have said the next gear lower is the best choice. I just don't see how. My truck stock weighed 5400 lbs. Now I would have to guess closer to 6000 or even higher. I need the extra gearing just to pull the weight of the truck (and with the trailer as well)

Hope that helps.

Casper

#501195 - 21/08/09 07:37 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Casper]
xyellow Offline

you guys got any recommendation on the type of brakes to be used, i would like to get something strong because i have alot of weight to stop. i was also wondering what upgrades or mods did you do for the steering system, there are so many opinions and things to be chosen from im a little confused

#501196 - 23/08/09 12:14 AM Re: Axle info [Re: xyellow]
Casper Offline

The stock D44 breaks seam fine in my opinion. I am looking at upgrading my master cylinder to a Chevy unit for a tad more "pedal". In referance my X weighs roughly 6500lbs loaded, and I tow a Adventure Trailers Chaser that weighs in at roughly 1500lbs loaded. Break work well for this.

Steering, I used Kiesers (spelling??) setup. Chevy one tone tie-rod ends and 1 1/2 DOM tubing. I can almost jack the truck up with this setup.

Truck and trailer

Steering

If you search "HD steerign" in this section you should find the part numbers for the tie-rod ends you need. If you can't find it and want this set up let me know and I will get them for you. I have them written down somewhere.

Casper

#501197 - 24/08/09 07:28 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Casper]
Cyclemut Offline
Nissan Guru

Loc: Denver, CO
Casper, do you have the stock H233b rear end? If so, check out your rear brakes and insure that they're adjusted correctly. If they go out of adjustment (which I saw more out of adjustment than I saw adjusted corrctly!) your brake pedal will be lower.

I put in my 9" and had the same pedal as I did with my 'b', but after adjusting it all, right back to the top.

With the truck in neutral, rear axle in the air, turn the adjuster until you get the shoes to rub a little. The yank on the parking brake cable to re-center the shoes and adjust again. Keep this up until you get the shoes to rub (gently) on the drums after you apply the parking brakes and release them. After both sides, drive it. Pedal should be further up a ways and feel normal again.

How's that hopey changey thing working for you?

#501198 - 25/08/09 06:09 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Cyclemut]
xyellow Offline

i cant find the part numbers, theres the other post by XOC but not sure which part number is for the 1 ton chevy tie-rods and DOM tubing. Sounds like your set-up is the way to go, so im trying to get everything together because ill be starting next week probably installing everything

#501199 - 25/08/09 06:16 PM Re: Axle info [Re: xyellow]
xyellow Offline

by the way casper, how do you like the KM2 BF's tires? i was planning on getting those also

#501200 - 25/08/09 10:06 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Cyclemut]
Casper Offline

Originally Posted By: Cyclemut
Casper, do you have the stock H233b rear end? If so, check out your rear brakes and insure that they're adjusted correctly. If they go out of adjustment (which I saw more out of adjustment than I saw adjusted corrctly!) your brake pedal will be lower.

I put in my 9" and had the same pedal as I did with my 'b', but after adjusting it all, right back to the top.

With the truck in neutral, rear axle in the air, turn the adjuster until you get the shoes to rub a little. The yank on the parking brake cable to re-center the shoes and adjust again. Keep this up until you get the shoes to rub (gently) on the drums after you apply the parking brakes and release them. After both sides, drive it. Pedal should be further up a ways and feel normal again.

Sweet, a fix that won't cost me money. Thanks man. I will try that this weekend.

xyellow,
I searched and could not find it either. Give me a day or so and I will find my receipt from Napa. I think you are making the right choice with the steering. I know Doug, Kevin and a few others have moved to this steering as well.

Ok, here are the part numbers for Napa. Unfortunatly I do not know whick part number goes to which part, but they are all there.

#269-2442
#269-2441
#269-2553
#269-2554

You will need to ream out the TRE on the passager side to make it fit, and also ream out the pitman arm. It's a tad hard to explain, but if you want I can take photos of what I am talking about.

As for the tires, so far I like them. I have only had them for about 5000 miles, but they are holding up well. They do really well in the rocks, loose stuff is "pretty" good and on road is better than I thought they would be. I haven't had snow yet, so not sure on that and mud scares me so I haven't tried that.

Casper
laugh

Edited by Casper (26/08/09 12:09 PM)

#501201 - 27/08/09 07:11 AM Re: Axle info [Re: Casper]
Casper Offline

Last post edited with part numbers.

Casper

#501202 - 26/10/09 05:27 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Casper]
Casper Offline

Just wondering if you got this done yet. Haven't heard anything.

Casper

#501203 - 31/10/09 09:38 PM Re: Axle info [Re: Casper]
xyellow Offline

yeh the front is almost done getting installed (ill post some pics soon) but calmini hasnt sent the rear yet, if they dont, im gonna try and figure another alternative. But its looking real good. Everything went smooth during install, ill just say that i didnt know this kit was this sick. Its insane once you see it on the truck.

#501204 - 03/02/10 10:18 PM Re: Axle info [Re: xyellow]
xyellow Offline

how do we add pics, im having a little trouble

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal