2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#501574 - 28/01/06 06:38 PM First Off-Road Impression
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm impressed! Took the new X on a little 150 mile backroad romp today, including the beach. Drove up and down the beach in the rain. This is not the sugar sand beach you are probably thinking of. Lots of it is MUD.

Put the ABLS, VDC and ABS through the ringer and never even came close to getting stuck. I was dissapointed because I never needed the front wheels. I finally romped on the brakes in a particularly slippery spot, then turned VDC off and stepped on it. Let it spin and dig a little, then engaged VDC. Still pulled out on the back wheels no problem. Its really flat down here in Southwest Louisiana, and there was a sand base under the mud, so no clearance issues were tested other than some kinda deep ruts in sand.

My last 4x4 ($X$), well over 10 years ago, was a '79 K-5 Blazer with 33's and a 350. The X will go anywhere it would go traction-wise, and some places it wouldn't go size-wise. I didn't buy it to go offroad, but some more trips to the beach are in my future. The Blazer would have gotten stuck in 2X today.

I left the camera in the X, but I'll post a couple of pics of the X on the beach with some really nasty weather behind it tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Anyone else got any "Old School" comparisons?

#501575 - 28/01/06 06:52 PM Re: First Off-Road Impression
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad that you like it. I love mine a lot. What do you plan on doing with yours?

#501576 - 28/01/06 07:45 PM Re: First Off-Road Impression
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its funny, people always romance about old 4x4s, yet they were so brittle you could hardly do anything without a trailer load of parts, no lockers, no electronic LSD, tiny tires stock, blah, blah.....I always love..." My 42 Willys was un-stopable" [Spit]

#501577 - 29/01/06 03:04 PM Re: First Off-Road Impression
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
Glad that you like it. I love mine a lot. What do you plan on doing with yours?
Its going to be a daily driver, road warrior chariot for 3 or 4 years, then it'll get retired to "Toy" status and the real modding will begin.

In the mean time I'll probably do a bumper/tire carrier/hitch as soon as Shrock gets 'em done. May try to find a RF stereo on Ebay, and will probably put OEM fog lights on it.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal