2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50345 - 23/04/02 06:04 PM Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Loc: San Diego
I had my x for over two year and I now have 23K on it so far, rear end pumpkin has been replaced twice for whining, three coolant leaks one resulting in a head gasket replacement now after the replacement a loud ticking noise coming from the engine after a cold start when put in gear. After the engine warms up 5 -10 mins the noise subsides but it is still noicable to me but not the mechanics. The X is also developing an exhaust rattle.

What's wrong here? Has any one else had these issues especially the engine ticking noise?

The dealer tells me these engines do that what the #@%! give me a break. I just dropped it off for them to work with a Nissan engineer on this noise. They may have to rip it apart but then what other problems when they put it back together?
Help!

#50346 - 23/04/02 08:43 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like your truck might fit under the California Lemon Law.

#50347 - 23/04/02 09:14 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
matto Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorproject:
I had my x for over two year and I now have 23K on it so far, rear end pumpkin has been replaced twice for whining, three coolant leaks one resulting in a head gasket replacement now after the replacement a loud ticking noise coming from the engine after a cold start when put in gear. After the engine warms up 5 -10 mins the noise subsides but it is still noicable to me but not the mechanics. The X is also developing an exhaust rattle.

What's wrong here? Has any one else had these issues especially the engine ticking noise?

The dealer tells me these engines do that what the #@%! give me a break. I just dropped it off for them to work with a Nissan engineer on this noise. They may have to rip it apart but then what other problems when they put it back together?
Help!
Sounds like a stuck valve. My X is only 2 months old with 4k miles - not enough miles to be a gauge.

#50348 - 23/04/02 10:51 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
What's your build date?

The ticking might be the cracked exhaust manifold issue.

#50349 - 25/04/02 09:19 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by matto:
Quote:
[b]I had my x for over two year and I now have 23K on it so far, rear end pumpkin has been replaced twice for whining, three coolant leaks one resulting in a head gasket replacement now after the replacement a loud ticking noise coming from the engine after a cold start when put in gear. After the engine warms up 5 -10 mins the noise subsides but it is still noicable to me but not the mechanics. The X is also developing an exhaust rattle.

Help!
Sounds like a stuck valve. My X is only 2 months old with 4k miles - not enough miles to be a gauge.[/b]
That might explain the fact that this developed right after the head gasket replacement!

#50350 - 25/04/02 09:21 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by *paul:
What's your build date?

The ticking might be the cracked exhaust manifold issue.
I bought the truck January 9 of 2000 so I think it is two months or so before Jan.

I sugessted this to the Master!!! mechanic and they said the cracked manifold is not what is causing this.

#50351 - 25/04/02 09:27 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Quote:

Help!
I just picked up the X from the shop After three days and two engineers from Nissan I was told that there is nothing wrong with the X and that "this is a normal behaviour for this engine design" they also told me that it most likely is "piston slap" and that it should not cause any problems. Like maybe reduced compression, burning oil, not passing emissions to name a few. I was so pissed off they told me that I could take it up with the courts.

Well, with the power of the internet and the e-mail I might be able to notify enough people about this issue to affect sales. Would I have bought a truck that would sound like a diesel when cold started for 10 mins?? Or if the sales guy said "These engines have a piston slapping noise and it is perfectly OK" oh yeah wrap me one up %#$@#!.

#50352 - 26/04/02 12:38 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
*paul Offline

Actually there was a problem in the past with piston slap on the VG engine in the '95-'96 Mercury Villager and Nissan Quest minivans due to a design defect. See this LINK.

But aside from that is the noise only present at idle and only when in gear (auto trans, I assume)?
Is it audible from inside the vehicle when it's warmed up?

#50353 - 27/04/02 08:56 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Quote:
Actually there was a problem in the past with piston slap on the VG engine in the '95-'96 Mercury Villager and Nissan Quest minivans due to a design defect. See this LINK.

But aside from that is the noise only present at idle and only when in gear (auto trans, I assume)?

Paul,

It is audible to me even after it warms up but the noise goes way down. It is an automatic and the engine sounds great even when I started cold in the am I gas it up nothing until I put it in gear "D" then it sounds like an "air compressor" runiing in the distance. I thinks that's the best way to discribe this sound.
Is it audible from inside the vehicle when it's warmed up?

#50354 - 28/04/02 08:36 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
*paul Offline

If it is piston slap the noise might be reduced by raising the idle speed slightly, say 25 to 50 rpm. Also, I would agree with them that it is very unlikey to cause any future problems.

However this noise matches all the symptoms of an small exhaust leak of some sort in the head area. Having documented your complaint with the dealer, I would suggest living with it for a while and seeing if it gets any worst.

Was this Pacific or Mossy you were dealing with?

#50355 - 29/04/02 07:11 PM Re: Loud ticking in gear sound after a cold start until warm up
doctorproject Offline

Quote:
If it is piston slap the noise might be reduced by raising the idle speed slightly, say 25 to 50 rpm. Also, I would agree with them that it is very unlikey to cause any future problems.

However this noise matches all the symptoms of an small exhaust leak of some sort in the head area. Having documented your complaint with the dealer, I would suggest living with it for a while and seeing if it gets any worst.

Was this Pacific or Mossy you were dealing with?
This is Mearny Mesa Mossy Nissan where I bought two cars 2000 Maxima GXE and 2000 Xterra XE V6 with all three options. I spent over $60,000 you can see why I am little ticked off. I really like the X. I strongly sugessted after browsing some of the forums that this is most likely a head gasket leak but Mossy said no. So, I will see what happens.
Thx.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal