2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50713 - 20/04/02 06:42 AM Nissan Sport Exhaust
mummer43 Offline

Loc: Pottsville, PA
Does anyone know of a website where I can order one? Can I get one at my dealer? What's a reasonable price for one?

#50714 - 20/04/02 07:04 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
Call your local Nissan dealer. Do not pay list price though...You should be able to get it for less than $400.

#50715 - 20/04/02 08:45 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
cboehl Offline

Loc: Reston, VA, USA
You can try this website that carrys everything if you know the part number. Nissanparts.cc sells their stuff way below most dealerships. The only thing with this is the muffler comes in a box about as big as the xterra. So I can imagine shipping would be alot. So the local dealership might be cheaper.

#50716 - 23/04/02 05:49 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Loc: TN
Quote:
Originally posted by mummer43:
Does anyone know of a website where I can order one? Can I get one at my dealer? What's a reasonable price for one?
It would be much cheaper to have a custom exhaust installed at a reputable muffler shop. If you have a V6 you could EASILY have dual exhaust as well. A Dynomax, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow. If you have the V6 you'll notice it has two catalytic converters and two O2 sensors. One on each side of the exhaust coming from the engine. This give the perfect opportunity to run true dual exhaust. The stock exhaust "Ys" together at the stock muffler. You could have a muffler shop cut this "Y" and install either two mufflers and two pipes, or a single muffler with dual in dual out connections.

If you go the dual exhaust route, stick with 2" pipe.

I haven't done exhaust on my Xterra, but when I had dual exhaust put on my Tacoma it only cost me $70 for the Flowmaster muffler, and $100 for the labor to put dual pipes on. That's $170 total which is MUCH cheaper than any aftermarket exhaust system. I was very happy with the setup, and it sounded like a Mustang GT to boot.

If you wanna hear the exhaust I had goto www.tn-tacomas.com and click on "Maintenance and Modifications" . There's a "Flowmaster Install" link that has sound clips, pictures, and video. That'll give you an idea of what it will sound like on an Xterra.

#50717 - 23/04/02 06:01 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I have one. It's not extremly obnoxious, nice lil' rumble. The Nissan sport exhaust is actually manufactured by Dynomax, so it's a name you can trust.
Part number (for the 4X4): 999M6-KM001
List price: $449.00

#50718 - 23/04/02 07:15 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
xterrasd Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I run the Nissan Sport exhaust and I love it! Sounds good, not too loud and paid $369.00 plus tax at my local dealership in CA There is a thread floating around that actually has the Nissan price list. Dealer net is something like $339.00 or something close...So DO NOT pay list, the markup is high...But worth it. No cheesy add on tip and a little Mothers Stainless polish/cleaner that bad boy is a tasteful addition to my X

RJ

#50719 - 24/04/02 07:52 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
mummer43 Offline

Nissanparts.cc lists it at $425. I went to the Dynomax web site and searched for dealers. Would it be possible to get the exhaust through an auto parts dealer?

#50720 - 24/04/02 08:17 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
SpenceJT Offline

Loc: Madison WI
I'm going with the Gibson stainless steel bolt on replacement. It is in the same price range.

#50721 - 24/04/02 09:07 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
vielside Offline

Loc: Vancouver
Please pardon my ignorance...

What are the advantages to having an aftermarket exhaust?

#50722 - 24/04/02 10:39 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
SpenceJT Offline

vielside,

I'm a bit new to all of this as well, but I think I can come up with an answer for you.

Anyone out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What it comes down to is allowing the engine to "breathe" easier, provide better throttle response, along a tad bit more horsepower and fuel economy.

Most exhaust systems are designed around deadening noise, with little regard for airflow. This adds something called "Back Pressure", making it more difficult for your engine to empty it's cylinders on the exhaust stroke. The engine works harder, making it less efficient.

Most performance exhaust systems balance noise reduction, with airflow. Less back pressure providing a more efficiently operating engine, but with a slightly higher noise level.

Regards
Spence

Still no Xterra (hopefully this week).

#50723 - 24/04/02 11:54 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
gmann Offline

Loc: san jose, CA
just a quick question. i wanted put an exhaust on my X. i didn't want a ricey sound, nor a loud exhaust. i was just looking for a nice little rumble without being annoying.

which would be louder: the nissan sport or magnaflow?

thanks..

#50724 - 24/04/02 02:00 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
gmann Offline

Loc: san jose, CA
nevermind about the question. i just got back from the muffler shop. put a magnaflow street on it. i didn't even think he changed the muffler until i hit gas. then it had a nice growl. that's exactly what i was looking for. you can't hear a thing when cruising.

#50725 - 24/04/02 04:54 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
mummer43 Offline

I would like the factory exit point. Does the magnaflow exit at the same place? What about the Nissan?

#50726 - 25/04/02 05:09 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
The nissan sport exhaust system exits in the stock location.

dave and xtoy - and it looks lots better

#50727 - 25/04/02 10:23 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by Toy4x4Guy:
I haven't done exhaust on my Xterra, but when I had dual exhaust put on my Tacoma it only cost me $70 for the Flowmaster muffler, and $100 for the labor to put dual pipes on. That's $170 total which is MUCH cheaper than any aftermarket exhaust system. I was very happy with the setup, and it sounded like a Mustang GT to boot.

If you wanna hear the exhaust I had goto www.tn-tacomas.com and click on "Maintenance and Modifications" . There's a "Flowmaster Install" link that has sound clips, pictures, and video. That'll give you an idea of what it will sound like on an Xterra.
What flowmaster did you go with, the 3 chamber or 4?

#50728 - 25/04/02 10:29 AM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SpenceJT:
I'm going with the Gibson stainless steel bolt on replacement. It is in the same price range.
Do they salt the roads where you live? The stainless system will rust. I live in New England and I have a Gibson SS system and the thing looks like crap. Just an FYI if you were hoping it will stay clean looking.

#50729 - 25/04/02 02:00 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Loc: TN
Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
Quote:

What flowmaster did you go with, the 3 chamber or 4?[/QB]
It was just a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta. If you get that it'll be the same as I had. Sounded very nice.

#50730 - 25/04/02 03:46 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
SpenceJT Offline

Thanks Stormy,

Perhaps I've got it backwards. I though that Stainless Steel would have less (or slower) corrosion when compared to aluminium.

I'm in Wisconsin, and when we aren't salting our pretzels and drinking beer, we are salting the damn roads!

Guys? Which one should I go with here?

#50731 - 25/04/02 04:30 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
paulgw Offline

Loc: St.Albans, Herts, UK.
Quote:
Originally posted by mummer43:
Speak to Todd at EOE about the Gibson SS system, it's much better than the Nissan one!

#50732 - 25/04/02 06:32 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SpenceJT:
Thanks Stormy,

Perhaps I've got it backwards. I though that Stainless Steel would have less (or slower) corrosion when compared to aluminium.

I'm in Wisconsin, and when we aren't salting our pretzels and drinking beer, we are salting the damn roads!

Guys? Which one should I go with here?
I've had many emails and phone calls with Gibson and SLR regarding the rust issue (6 month old exhaust). Gibson has refunded my money (-a $55.00 "processing fee" ) mad
They openly admit because of the type of metal they use you will get surface rust. they build exhaust for performance, not looks. To me, looks are as important as performance.

This is from Teri at Gibson:
Quote:
The most prominent questions have been about the different grades of stainless we use in our manufacturing process. Unlike the S/S tips and the muffler, which are made from 304 polished stainless; the tubes are made of 16 GA./409 stainless (which is the same grade of stainless used in your Nissan Xterra factory exhaust system). If you are unfamiliar with grades of stainless, please understand that 409 stainless contains small metal fragments, which allows the steel to be easily manipulated for the precision of mandrel bending, and not become "brittle". These metal fragments will discolor and attract surface rust when exposed to inclement weather but please be assured that the integrity of the stainless steel is not compromised by this reaction to the elements. We are so confident, in the quality of our stainless steel products, that we warranty our stainless exhaust systems against rust-through for as long as the original purchaser owns that vehicle.
In my experience, it's much more than surface rust. Also, it was like pulling teeth getting them to do something about the rust.
Here's the email I sent to Gibson about the F**king $55 processing fee.
Quote:
This message is to let you know that how disappointed I am with Gibson.

I already expressed the dissatisfaction with the excessive rust issue with my exhaust and how it was handled in this email:

Hello,
My name is Norman Hall. I bought your Stainless Steel cat back exhaust system for my 2001 Nissan Xterra. I recently made a warranty claim for rust issues with my system.

I bought the system from Spencer Low Racing on their recommendation. At the time I was shopping around looking at the HKS, Stillen, Borla, and Nissan was about to come out with their Sport exhaust.

When I installed the system, I like the sound, performance, and the look. Within 6 months, the system is rusting and I am NOT satisfied with the appearance. I spoke with Spencer and he agreed the rust did look excessive and forwarded the photo's to Gibson. Within a week, got received a letter from Gibson explaining the rust is normal because of the grade metal used. I am not satisfied with your explanation. I don't agree with the letter and still feel that something NEEDS to be done. The reason I bought a stainless system is I wanted a clean looking system that would last a long time. I take great pride in my truck and as it stands right now, I am not satisfied at all with the appearance of the system.

I've seen the Borla and the Stillen systems on other cars and they look great, even after 6 months. Even my friend's stock exhaust looks better than the state of my Gibson.

I looked on your website to see if any of this is documented and didn't find anything about the type of metal used. I also looked at you FAQ to see if this is a frequently asked question. I didn't see anything explaining that this is normal. In my opinion, there is nothing to indicate that this was expected. To me, and probably most people, stainless steel means it won't rust.

Feel free to contact me so this can be resolved.

Work- 603-xxx-xxxx
Home- 781-xxx-xxxx
Cell- 781-xxx-xxxx

Thanks,
Norman Hall

I got a call back from a very pleasant woman in your sales department (Teri) explaining the options that Gibson was considering for solving my problem (one of witch was refunding my money). It seems that you opted to refund my money minus a 15% processing fee ($55.35). Let me quote your warranty from your web page.

"What does this warranty cover
All products sold are to be free of defects in material and workmanship from the date of purchase within the United States."

I feel that if you decide to refund someone's money, refund it. What you have managed to do is leave a sour taste in my mouth about buying or recommending your products to anyone.

Please reply to this message and tell me what actions Gibson, if any, are going to take.

Regards,
Norman Hall
In my eyes, what the hell did charging me a $55 fee accomplish? Answer - pissed me off big time. Would you call that a 100% warranty? Nope! It's a 85% warranty. It was their choice to refund my money, that's how they wanted to handle it. I would of been happy with a replacement (as long as it didn't rust).

Sorry about the long message and some people must be sick of me talking about it but I feel this is something everyone should know.

I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want to hurt EOE, SLR, or any other vender that sells Gibson products. I just want people to know what "could" happen. I also want people to know that it was gibson that handled this poorly, not SLR. Spenser was very helpful.

#50733 - 25/04/02 08:16 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Stormy that is so odd with your Gibson system, I have the Gibson Aluminized one and I have almost no rust marks at all...maybe just where rocks have nicked it and it's been about 9-10 months.

Paul can you snap a few pics of your Gibson SS system when you get a chance, yours has been on about 2 months I guess...Stormy when did you notice the rust?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#50734 - 25/04/02 08:33 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
stormy Offline

Todd,
I don't remember exactly but I'd say about 3 months is when I started to notice.

Gibson said it was because I live in the northeast and they salt the roads up here... WTF! That's not how you stand by a product. You send out a new exhaust and inspect the problem exhaust to see if there is a manufacturing flaw.
Instead I got the runaround.

I still haven't gotten an answer on my email about the 15% ($55) processing fee.

#50735 - 25/04/02 09:02 PM Re: Nissan Sport Exhaust
xbertmx Offline

Loc: Ab, Canada
I was jsut about to order a Gibson this week, but I wasn't sure if I should spend the extra and go with the stainless or not. But it doesn't seem like it would make a difference looking at the pictures above.

I live in Canada so they salt the roads at least as much as in the northern US. Has anyone else had the same problem? Is it worth buying the SS if their both going to rust?

FSRBIKER: If I remember right, you run EOE don't you? I emailed a few days back, and I was just wondering how much shipping the Gibson to Calgary, Alberta, Canada would be (postal code T3E 6G3)?

Thanks.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal