shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#508052 - 30/04/05 07:41 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeX:
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeX:
[b]This is from the Xterra manual:

Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed.

The question is, what does "Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow" mean? It conveniently does not define a "long period", but it does define the rpms to stay below (4000).
I stil have not heard a logical answer to this statement in the manual. Does anyone know what a "long distance" means to Nissan engine designers? Why can they state a number in the manual for rpms, but not for distance driven, they don't even say a speed to keep below. Inquiring minds want to know.[/b]
Mike,

I think it is probably intentionally vague to be honest.

#508053 - 30/04/05 07:46 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

So can someone tell a non-gearhead like me what the proper "break-in procedure" is?

#508054 - 30/04/05 07:57 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Feel free to do some more research, but in general, breakin consists of the following:

1. Don't lug the engine (lugging means driving at low RPM's in a high gear) -- more a concern for manual transmissions I think. This is bad because it causes a large strain on the engine.

2. Don't drive at a constant speed for a long time. As has been discussed, a "long time" is not clearly defined in most places. But this is the reason that they tell you not to use cruise control during the breakin period.

3. You are supposed to give it hard (not insane) acceleration up to the max RPM's suggested for the breakin period, because this seats the compression rings. I don't think this means to do this at every opportunity, but to not baby the car.

4. Stay below the RPM's levels suggested by the manual. With motorcycles, the instructions seems to be more explicit and gradual: don't go above xx rpm's for the first xx kms... then don't go above .. rpm's for the next xx kms, and so on...

5. [EDIT: added] It is generally practice to do the breakin in cycles of heating and cooling. It has to do with the expansion of components (that are meshing). So -- for a race engine, they would run it hard, then let it cool down completely, then run it hard again, etc until the breakin is complete. For a regular car, driving it during the day and letting it sit at night is probably good enough to get that effect. But this is why it's not a great idea to breakin an engine by driving it 1000kms straight without stopping.

Then there are the recommended oil changes. Just follow the manual. Some people change it more frequently at the beginning, because as the new components "mesh" they create tiny metal filings. If you leave those filings in there too long, there's a greater risk of having them etch hard components, etc.

There are differing views on breakin, and you'll have to research to make up your own mind but in general, at least do what your manual says.

Hope that helps.

#508055 - 30/04/05 08:09 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
I can't believe you are concerned about them getting you what you asked for. Cars that come from dealer-to-dealer are pretty much ALWAYS driven there to expedite the process so the customer is happy. I bought my X from my Uncle who lives about 400 miles away. I hopped in my X and drove it home the 400 miles on the highway. I didn't floor it or anything but I couldn't help the "vary speed, RPM, ect". It's a car, in today's day and age if the damn thing breaks because it was driven at a constant speed but not abused then it is a POS to begin with IMO.
It won't break, it's not about breaking the engine.

Some people don't care (or don't know) if their engine is completely out of tune -- those people probably won't notice the ill-effects of improper breakin. They are probably also the ones that add oil only when the oil light comes on. And to complete the circle... if you don't break in the engine adequately, there is a greater risk that you need to add oil in between oil changes as the engine ages because it is burning it.

#508056 - 30/04/05 07:06 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine had 320 miles on it—I'd asked the dealer to locate a very specific model, and I wanted it ASAP. I didn't bitch about the fact that I got the only one in 5 states that week just because some old retired guy drove it 320 miles from Iowa. I'm up over 36K now and no mechanical problems—I'm more worried about the hatch rust, really.

Eh. It's not a Ferrari, you know?

#508057 - 30/04/05 07:16 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mnx:
Mine had 320 miles on it—I'd asked the dealer to locate a very specific model, and I wanted it ASAP. I didn't bitch about the fact that I got the only one in 5 states that week just because some old retired guy drove it 320 miles from Iowa. I'm up over 36K now and no mechanical problems—I'm more worried about the hatch rust, really.

Eh. It's not a Ferrari, you know?
Did you have a point beyond that we don't agree?

#508058 - 30/04/05 07:28 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreCBR:
Did you have a point beyond that we don't agree?
Nothing beyond the fact that you're a whiny bitch, no.

Perhaps an Xterra isn't the right vehicle for you.

[Finger]

#508059 - 30/04/05 07:33 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude -- no offence, but sounds like you're the soccer mom. Pop the hood sometime.

#508060 - 30/04/05 07:38 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey - break it up you two laugh

Hardcore - sounds like it's final
- so - congratulations!!!!
[ThumbsUp]

#508061 - 30/04/05 07:41 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Dude -- no offence, but sounds like you're the soccer mom. Pop the hood sometime.
I love hearing people from TO say "dude". That cracks me up. No. Really.

BTW, if you weren't afraid to pop the hood on your new X, you wouldn't be on here bitching about some ~200KM driven on your 'pristine' engine. Get a clue, "dude". Drive on and get over it! :rolleyes:

#508062 - 30/04/05 07:44 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mnx:
Quote:
[b]Dude -- no offence, but sounds like you're the soccer mom. Pop the hood sometime.
I love hearing people from TO say "dude". That cracks me up. No. Really.

BTW, if you weren't afraid to pop the hood on your new X, you wouldn't be on here bitching about some ~200KM driven on your 'pristine' engine. Get a clue, "dude". Drive on and get over it! :rolleyes: [/b]
Thanks for the input dude.

#508063 - 30/04/05 07:53 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the input dude.
Anytime, Mr. "Hardcore". Anytime.

Congrats for picking the OR edition, in any case.

Quote:
I signed the papers for an 05 Xterra Offroad in Knight Armour, which seems to be one of the rare combinations to find right now. My dealer found one 200km and had the sales man go there and drive it 200km back.

I was not informed before this happened.

Besides, at least they could have hauled it back!

So not only are they expecting me to take delivery of a brand new car with 200km on it, but who the hell knows how it was driven back? Ie: the breakin procedure.

One of the worst things you can do to a new engine is travel for a long distance at a constant RPM isn't it?!!

I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but now I'm thinking about refusing it.

#508064 - 30/04/05 07:57 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing that you could have done was search Nissan's web site and found the rig yourself. A dealer up the road offered to go to Cleveland to pick mine up after I hinted that I had found a Super Black X, I drove up myself, helped the salesman pull the plastic off the hood, and the truck had 6 miles on it. The local dealer wanted $200.00 to pick it up for me, I refused, made the drive and negotiated another $1000.00 off the price and got the exact truck that I wanted. As far as the fact of someone else driving it 200km, I don't believe that it was hurt but I do understand why you would have wanted to drive it yourself. Just be more careful next time, dealers are sharkes to the over excited new car buyer!

#508065 - 01/05/05 03:03 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Feel free to do some more research, but in general, breakin consists of the following:

1. Don't lug the engine (lugging means driving at low RPM's in a high gear) -- more a concern for manual transmissions I think. This is bad because it causes a large strain on the engine.

2. Don't drive at a constant speed for a long time. As has been discussed, a "long time" is not clearly defined in most places. But this is the reason that they tell you not to use cruise control during the breakin period.

3. You are supposed to give it hard (not insane) acceleration up to the max RPM's suggested for the breakin period, because this seats the compression rings. I don't think this means to do this at every opportunity, but to not baby the car.

4. Stay below the RPM's levels suggested by the manual. With motorcycles, the instructions seems to be more explicit and gradual: don't go above xx rpm's for the first xx kms... then don't go above .. rpm's for the next xx kms, and so on...

5. [EDIT: added] It is generally practice to do the breakin in cycles of heating and cooling. It has to do with the expansion of components (that are meshing). So -- for a race engine, they would run it hard, then let it cool down completely, then run it hard again, etc until the breakin is complete. For a regular car, driving it during the day and letting it sit at night is probably good enough to get that effect. But this is why it's not a great idea to breakin an engine by driving it 1000kms straight without stopping.

Then there are the recommended oil changes. Just follow the manual. Some people change it more frequently at the beginning, because as the new components "mesh" they create tiny metal filings. If you leave those filings in there too long, there's a greater risk of having them etch hard components, etc.

There are differing views on breakin, and you'll have to research to make up your own mind but in general, at least do what your manual says.

Hope that helps.
Hardcore, thanks for the info -- and thanks for actually posting something useful, which can't be said of everyone here.

One piece of info you left out, or perhaps you thought it was common knowledge, or maybe it was in a previous post and I missed it... What mileage is the typical breakin period? First 1000 miles? First 3000? 5000? Thanks again...

#508066 - 01/05/05 03:26 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ex2X:

Hardcore, thanks for the info -- and thanks for actually posting something useful, which can't be said of everyone here.

One piece of info you left out, or perhaps you thought it was common knowledge, or maybe it was in a previous post and I missed it... What mileage is the typical breakin period? First 1000 miles? First 3000? 5000? Thanks again...
Ex2x,

Looks like 1,200 miles (or 2,000km).

That number is from the 2004 Xterra manual, so you might want to confirm in the 2005 but I doubt it would be significantly different:

CAUTION

During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
follow these recommendations to obtain
maximum engine performance and ensure
the future reliability and economy of
your new vehicle. Failure to follow these
recommendations may result in shortened
engine life and reduced engine
performance.

- Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow, and do not run the
engine over 4,000 rpm.
- Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
- Avoid quick starts.
- Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
- Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles
(800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts
could be damaged.

#508067 - 02/05/05 09:46 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I say, refuse the delivery. You are absolutelly right. You do not want that question bugging you for the next few years. I got mine straight from the dealer, while it was light outside. When it became dark, after delivery, I noticed the middle/front console was not working. All the light were gone. They drove the car about 40 miles for the delivery, cause some girl that did not know what the hell she was getting, bought mine an hou before. She only got it cause it was yellow and in the showroom. So, my offroad got delivered from different dealer. The car spent the second night at the dealer. While trying to find a disconnected connector, they scratched my dash and now have to replace 3 panels. Also, the cooling system has air in it, so now they have to flush it also. Normally you have 72 hours to cancel any contract, including the car contract. It will be hard though. I say, do not take delivery and go to a different dealer. Have them haul it. Remember, you are the customer and dont be afraid to walk out. They have to kiss your ass, not you theirs.

#508068 - 02/05/05 10:05 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

First congrats on the new Xterra.

Second if you look at vehicles today although most will say to a certain list for breakin procedure these really aren't for the engine as most people think. The engine is broken in at the factory. The other parts in the car are not broken in such as transmission and differentials. This is what the breakin is for to prevent damage to these parts.

Also I recently went through the same situation with my wifes mazda 6. First the car we ordered was delivered to the wrong dealer after we waited 2-3 months then it was delivered to the wrong dealer. They then drove the car that we ordered from one dealer 100 miles to our dealer. We saw the car had the sport package which we didn't want and found out that it was a required option with side air bags on 04 models. We were upset and they knocked the car down to invoice ($100) and also gave us 2 free oil changes.

I can understand being upset but to tell you the truth if the car does have problems in the future it can be caused from many different things over the life of the car and I doubt 200km would affect it unless he redlined it the entire way.

Oh and I don't know how others have 3 miles the one that I looked at that I took the plastic off of had 7 miles on it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal