shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#508113 - 10/02/06 03:46 PM When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have 3000 miles now, when should I run synthetic motor oil?

#508114 - 10/02/06 03:52 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wait until you have at least 10k miles. That way everything in your engine is fully broken in.

#508115 - 10/02/06 03:57 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please delete your duplicate posts in the other threads. Thanks.

#508116 - 10/02/06 04:49 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

what kind of synthetic oil is reccomended for the 05 X?

#508117 - 10/02/06 04:55 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I started with the first oil change. The break-in period for the X is around 500 hundred miles. I use 10w-30 Mobil 1 and I use a Nissan OEM oil filter. I change the oil every 5000 miles and the filter is changed every 2500 miles.

#508118 - 10/02/06 05:22 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just use good motor oil like Castrol GTX and change it and the oil filter every 4K.

I use synth. in my air cooled motorcycles (2005 Triumph Thruxton and 2002 HD Dyna Glide) because...well...they're air cooled engines.

Save your money and buy the motor oil the manufacturer recommends.

#508119 - 10/02/06 06:29 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I swapped over to Mobil on the first change at 3500 miles. Seems to run alot smoother now.

#508120 - 10/02/06 09:32 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

what about royal purple or that other one everyone is talking about here....i forgot the name of it......

#508121 - 11/02/06 06:56 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Royal purple is really good stuff. but not what they recommend. Just have the dealer service it, that way no problems should something go wrong. Plus, Nissan's filter prevents the oil from flowing back after shut off. That way when you start, it's not a dry start. Not sure other aftermarket filters promise that.
You can always use royal Purple after the warranty with good results. It is the shit!
I also recommend you do us a Poster modeling your x! Am I wearing you down yet? wink smile

MC

#508122 - 11/02/06 07:11 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC XTERRA:
Royal purple is really good stuff. but not what they recommend. Just have the dealer service it, that way no problems should something go wrong. Plus, Nissan's filter prevents the oil from flowing back after shut off. That way when you start, it's not a dry start. Not sure other aftermarket filters promise that.
You can always use royal Purple after the warranty with good results. It is the shit!
I also recommend you do us a Poster modeling your x! Am I wearing you down yet? wink smile

MC
i'd love to do a poster modeling...some kimd of tough girl-tough truck thing. that would be great if it took off now wouldn't it? smile i am offseason right now and not lean enough tho. around june we can do this...don't let me forget!
ok....the dealer used to use royal purple at the dealership and recommend it for my 03 x, but not now for the 05?

#508123 - 12/02/06 02:19 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Royal Purple is a good oil(beats the others), BUT the bad part of the oil is that it breaks down after about 3k miles. when oil breaks down you loose viscosity, and royal purple looses its viscosity quickly after the 3k.

mobil on the hand, provides a little less than Rp but lasts longer.

the whole purpose of synthetic oil is its ability to stay together and keep its viscosity(roughly...amount of lubrication) the biggest advantage of the synthetic oils is that they contain 0% wax and include more detergents so it'll keep gunk build up low and clean off previous gunk in ur engine. provides better protection from leaks and what not. it just has alot of neat additives....its just better

oh and it can be used whenever you want, WITH any other oil. meaning u can mix oils just not w/ diff grades. it even says that on the bottle. oh...but if your car is old and leaky, the synthetic might accually make it worse, by cleaning the crap thats clogging small leaks. but most people wait until the car is fully broken in because when the car is being broken in, there are alot of small metal shavings in the oil, there for the oil should be changed quite often. people dont want to be spending $30 on just oil that should be changed in 2500 mi depending where you are in the breakin process. y do i always have really long posts?

#508124 - 13/02/06 01:22 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahnyoungboi:
Royal Purple is a good oil(beats the others), BUT the bad part of the oil is that it breaks down after about 3k miles. when oil breaks down you loose viscosity, and royal purple looses its viscosity quickly after the 3k.

mobil on the hand, provides a little less than Rp but lasts longer.

the whole purpose of synthetic oil is its ability to stay together and keep its viscosity(roughly...amount of lubrication) the biggest advantage of the synthetic oils is that they contain 0% wax and include more detergents so it'll keep gunk build up low and clean off previous gunk in ur engine. provides better protection from leaks and what not. it just has alot of neat additives....its just better

oh and it can be used whenever you want, WITH any other oil. meaning u can mix oils just not w/ diff grades. it even says that on the bottle. oh...but if your car is old and leaky, the synthetic might accually make it worse, by cleaning the crap thats clogging small leaks. but most people wait until the car is fully broken in because when the car is being broken in, there are alot of small metal shavings in the oil, there for the oil should be changed quite often. people dont want to be spending $30 on just oil that should be changed in 2500 mi depending where you are in the breakin process. y do i always have really long posts?
ok. thanks for the info. i'm at 2700 miles right now. i will get the oil changed to factory oil, etc. then make the switch after the next oil change. thanks again.

#508125 - 13/02/06 07:45 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
I started with the first oil change. The break-in period for the X is around 500 hundred miles. I use 10w-30 Mobil 1 and I use a Nissan OEM oil filter. I change the oil every 5000 miles and the filter is changed every 2500 miles.
Why do you use 10w-30 when the manual states 5w-30 for all temps? Also, why do you change your filter so frequently?

I started with Mobile 1 5w-30 at about 3000 mi, with a Mobile 1 filter (it's expensive but it was on sale). I have about 7K on it now and will probably change it this week when the temps are back into the low 40's.

#508126 - 13/02/06 02:28 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Why do you use 10w-30 when the manual states 5w-30 for all temps?
The manual also says 10w-30 or 10w-40 may be used if the ambient temperature is above 0 degrees F. It is usually above 0 in most parts of Arizona.

#508127 - 13/02/06 05:29 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

the guys at the dealership said it's useless to run synthetic unles i plan on not changing it at every 3k miles.

#508128 - 13/02/06 10:55 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottom line is that you get more/better protection from synthetic. The guys at the stealership probably don't have synthetic as an option, hence telling you not to do makes it so you keep coming to them for simple oil change and maintenance.

Personally, i'd recommend doing what i'm doing. I'm gonna let the stealership do my first oil change (it's free and I wanna make sure there's nothing else to check on). Then, when i'm ready for my second oil change @ 6K, i'm takin' it to EZ Lube and having them put in Mobil 1 full-synthetic. It doesn't void the warranty and it's just better performance.

Then, when my warranty kicks, i'm switching it over to AMSOIL full-synthetic which only needs to be changed @ 25K/1yr and the AMSOIL filter @ 12K/6mo. If you do service intervals like that during the warranty, it gives the stealership and Nissan easier ways to void your warranty if something is wrong.

B.

#508129 - 13/02/06 11:10 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

The manual calls for a period of 1200 miles for the break-in. It also calls for not extra or excessive load on the engine like towing for the first 500 miles.

Interestingly enough, when I build an engine it's 500 miles for break-in and I change the oil @ that time too. I'm not gonna argue with the book though.

B.

#508130 - 14/02/06 04:31 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you carefully read the service information that came with the vehicle, the premium care recommends a very frequent 3750 mile interval for oil and filter change. "Required" maintenance calls for changes at 7500 miles. I use a synthetic (Castrol Syntec full synthetic 5W-30)and change mine between 5000 and 7500. I changed it at 3500 using regular oil just to get rid of all the post production stuff that comes out of a new engine.

Opinions about oil are like belly buttons, everyone has one. Some get really emotional about it.

If you change your oil every 3500, yes, using synthetic would be a waste of money IMO.

In fact the Premium maintenance program is a waste of money. But then I am a cheapskate.

#508131 - 14/02/06 05:02 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

My dealership said to come it after 1500 miles for a free oil change. They immediately put in a synthetic blend.

I'm now pushing 10,000 miles and it's running smooth! Still getting 18-20 MPG in mixed driving.

#508132 - 14/02/06 05:33 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Opinions about oil are like belly buttons, everyone has one
[LOL] very PC statement..I like that.

Our X is approaching 3,500 miles and I'll be changing to Amsoil synthetic. I usually go about 7,500 miles before changing and I'm sure it could be run past 11K without issues.

(I do use Royal Purple Synchromax in my other cars manual trannies but not their engine oil)

#508133 - 15/02/06 09:36 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

i used to work for ez lube. I was top seller amonst the company. soo....when it comes to selling mobil1 im ur man.
its kewl that everyone has their own opinion, but its never a bad thing to be enlightened upon a subject a little more, enough to change your view.
that said. ANY New Motor on ANY oil will run roughly 15-25k miles b4 it'll blow. my buddy treats his car like shit and does an oil change whenever he feels. which is a year or 15k miles. whichever comes first. thats with shit $1 oil.
i had a person come into ezlub w/ a toyota camry and tell me they're on their 2nd motor at 23k miles!!!! Y? b/c his wife has never heard of an oil change. (motor was blown at 22k)

if you guys havn't read what i wrote about royal purple, i said, that it had better viscosity than other oils UP UNTIL 3000 miles. THE SYNTHETIC oil breaks down. WHICH ISN"T suppose to happen for any synthetic.
MOBIL 1 on the other hand doesn't break down. proven again and again. a while back when mobil one said they're oil was good up to 5k miles, it was really good up to 10k
another fact is that most high performance/luxury cars are factory filled w/ MOBIL 1 (range rover,corvette,viper) dont believe me...CHECK THE CAP.
the thing w/ the waruantee.....EZlube says it wont void it b/c they use the right grade and they have a big ass history thing that they can bring up. the history wont help, unless u go to ezlube EVERYTIME, that goes for all the other places that have history.
i dunno what else to write, but i gaurantee i can be able to sell you mobil 1, unless u heard me say "im 100% sure ill sell u synthetic"

Melissa...DONT LISTEN TO THE DEALERSHIP...alot of them just want money....US on the other hand are doing all this for FREE...PLUS we're car ENTHUSIST? if we had a freaking FSM(factory service manual) which is a bible for a specific car, then im sure that the forum is the only place you'll ever have to go for answer.

people dont run synthetic STRICTLY for the fact that they dont have to change oil as often.(well some do) BUT it has other benefits. like there is no WAX that will break down and gunk up your motor. theres Better cleaners. IT DOESN"T break down which mean its wont turn into water on you, losing its ability to lubricate and keep the engine at a stable temp. thats the biggest reason, reg oil breaks down NOT AT 3000 but other that period of time. 3000 is when the reg oil has broken down soo much, that its starting to harm the motor.
new motors have longer intervals because they come built better. the cylinder walls come micro pollished, the piston rings are better, they run tighter clearances and well....its good....i dunno....

#508134 - 16/02/06 08:35 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks. i got it changed for free at the dealership to castrol 5-30 earlier today. at 6k i will go to mobil 1 smile

#508135 - 17/02/06 06:47 AM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

people dont run synthetic STRICTLY for the fact that they dont have to change oil as often.(well some do)
new motors have longer intervals because they come built better.
That's funny, because that is one benefit for me going to synthetic. Aside from the engine protection, it means that I don't need to change my oil more than once during the winter. It get cold up here in NY. smile

#508136 - 19/02/06 08:28 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i shoulda sed ONLY instead.... i run syntethic too...mobil 1 4-5k oil changes....everyones lazy to some extent...but...theres all that other crap too

#508137 - 23/02/06 07:44 PM Re: When to Run Synthetic on '06 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

My manual recommends mineral oil. Nissan doesnt say not to use synthetic, but if they recommend mineral oil, there must be a reason.
Then again I guess as long as the oil has the API certified label, then its all good.

As for extended oil changes with a synthetic, doesnt oil become contaminated with combustion by products?
A synthetic would still have to be changed as frequently as mineral oil. At least I would anyway.

I switched to synthetic in my 95 Protege, and shortly after started experiencing oil leaking onto my spark plugs.
I am not sure if the synthetic caused this, or if it would have happened anyway.
However the experience has me questioning synthetic oil.

In Canada, Royal Purple motor oil does not have the API certification stamp, therefore would not qualify as a suitable oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal