shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50957 - 04/11/01 04:34 AM Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I just received/installed my new Gibson stainless steel exhaust system, and I noticed that the tailpipe seems to stick out about 1-2" past the bumper corner. For those who have installed aftermarket exhaust systems, does this seem normal? The instructions don't say anything about trimming the pipe. I'm just afraid that someone will accidentally bump up against it and cut or burn their leg (i.e. my 2 yr old son). Other than the tailpipe length, I really like the new system alot. It was easy to put on, in about 1 hr (because I put never sieze on all the stock bolts of the exhaust system when I first bought the truck). I didn't even have to jack the truck up, or remove the spare tire. I had the stock system (with 4000 K on it) off in 10 min. I also elected not to install the chrome tip that came with the new system, the pipe alone looks good enough to me, and besides, I thought the tip looked a little too "Rice". All in all, I think the system was worth the $339, the truck definitly feels stronger between 2500 and 3500 rpm (i.e. merging on the highway).

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50958 - 04/11/01 06:45 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Kat_X Offline

Loc: Newark, CA
Sean,
What year is your X?

#50959 - 04/11/01 07:01 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
Sean, I just ordered the nissan cat back and it will arrive monday. we should get together to compare the sound differences. Got any pics of the tip? since you elected not to put the tip on, you could just take a hacksaw to it!

#50960 - 04/11/01 07:10 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Or... Take a hacksaw to the tubing and put the tip over it to cover it up...

Good deal guys, two of the exhausts I kinda dig - post some pix and let us know more about the change to the truck...

#50961 - 04/11/01 09:54 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kat_X:
Sean,
What year is your X?

I own a 2001 SE 4X4. As for the sound, I think it just perfect, not too loud, nice and deep. If anything, when stomping on the gas, the sound coming from my drop-in K&N air filter is louder than the exhaust! At idle, it's as quiet as the stock system. If it weren't for the extra "kick in the pants" I now get, I can't really tell much difference in sound between the Gibson or stock. I'll try to get some pic's tonight.

laugh

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50962 - 04/11/01 10:29 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
xterrasd Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I too am considering either the Gibson or the Nissan Catback system. I am both curious and concerned about the in-cabin vibration and increase in noise as I drive my X daily! Please share these comparisons. I almost ordered the Nissan System from @ xterrastore.com but figured I'd wait and read some feedback. Being in Cal I pay no sales tax $375.00 plus shipping for the Nissan system.

#50963 - 04/11/01 10:40 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The Gibson is very quiet in-cabin. In fact, you can barely hear it unless you open the windows or you really rev it.

#50964 - 04/11/01 05:46 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Here are the pic's of the Gibson exhaust. Let me know if you think I should bother to trim the tailpipe. http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=8437

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50965 - 04/11/01 06:07 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
xterrasd Offline

Sean, your pipe looks like it comes very close to your spare which looks stock. I have a 31.10.5 under mine? Has anyone had a problem with a larger spare and an aftermarket exhaust?

#50966 - 04/11/01 06:18 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

I just went out and measured the clearance from the pipe to the spare, 1 1/2" (I'm running a stock spare). The directions that came with the Gibson exhaust stated "Make sure you have a 1" clearance on all pipes from brake & fuel lines, tires, shocks, etc...".

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50967 - 04/11/01 06:31 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Kat_X Offline

Loc: Newark, CA
Sean,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like your exhaust pipe has a slip joint like my 2002 X. Maybe the Gibson system will fit mine also.

#50968 - 04/11/01 08:42 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Looks like you should trim it a little - guess they forgot to measure how far the bumper sticks out when they did the prototype on my truck. It doesn't stick out that far on mine!!! I put the polished aluminum tip on mine because it's just the aluminized version of the exhaust. Yours would probably look better without the tip, though.
-Brad

#50969 - 05/11/01 08:17 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
I just received/installed my new Gibson stainless steel exhaust system, and I noticed that the tailpipe seems to stick out about 1-2" past the bumper corner.

I have the Gibson. I had the chrome tip on for all of 2 seconds and then took it off. That way I could get the tailpipe closer to the bumper (less of a chance to Mosi it
laugh )

#50970 - 05/11/01 08:20 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Hmmm...

I'm a little worried about the Gibson exhaust vs. the Nissan one. For one, the clearance to the spare is a little tight for my tastes - I have a 32" under there, and it would hit. I'm also a little leery of the welds and such on the Gibson, as it looks like it's ripe for rusting in that area?

As for the tip of the exhaust, yeah, that seems quite long! I'd trim it back a touch too...

I think I'm gonna go for the Nissan exhaust.

#50971 - 05/11/01 08:50 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Hmmm...

I'm a little worried about the Gibson exhaust vs. the Nissan one. For one, the clearance to the spare is a little tight for my tastes - I have a 32" under there, and it would hit.

BF: I have the trxus 285\75R16's. My spare DOES hit the exhaust... but it also hits the rear diff, right side shackle, and the bumper. The tire is now in my load warrier on top. No matter what exhause I had installed, no way is that sucker fitting under there. My BFG \ AT 265\75R16's fit fine in the area for the spare.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: stormy ]

#50972 - 05/11/01 08:54 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

If I do deceide to trim that tailpipe, and since it's already secured to the muffler, to get a clean cut, first I'll see if I can get my hands on a large tubing cutter. Then I'll remove the bumper corner piece (and bumper too if necessary), and that should give me enough clearence to make a nice clean cut, because I don't want to use that "Rice" tip. I figure 2" taken off should do the trick.

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50973 - 05/11/01 10:14 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Yeah, a tubing cutter is definately the best way to go... You'll be assured a nice, clean and dead-on cut. I personally haven't seen any that large, but I'm sure a plumbing supply place or Home Depot might have 'em.

Stormy - yeah, I hear that. My 265/75R16 TrXus is a seriously tight fit, but fully aired. I don't think the Gibson is in my future, but the Nissan one might be... I'm not really into putting the spare on the roof, that's just a pain in the ass, and I'd rather keep what mileage I do get...

#50974 - 05/11/01 11:28 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
stormy Offline

I have seen and heard the nissan h p exhaust. Very nice setup but I didn't inspect it closly. Is it stainless? Are there any dyno's on it?

Also, Gibson uses the stock mountings and exits out the side. How is the nissan different (I know it includes the "Y" pipe)?

#50975 - 05/11/01 11:34 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
I'm not really into putting the spare on the roof, that's just a pain in the ass, and I'd rather keep what mileage I do get...

You don't know the half of it! laugh

I'm saving my pennies to get the Calmini rear bumper... maybe

#50976 - 05/11/01 12:12 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
nissan is stainless.

#50977 - 05/11/01 01:51 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

I wonder, could I just order Nissan's performance "Y" pipe, and connect it to my Gibson? Is the Nissan "Y" pipe stainless steel?

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50978 - 05/11/01 02:03 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Nissan's is all stainless, and they both look identical in function - that is, they both lose the one resonator, and aside from the muffler itself, look similar. But IMO, the Nissan unit looks a lot cleaner, not so "cobbled together." I guess "more factory looking" would describe it.

#50979 - 05/11/01 05:23 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
OK, most alloys of stainless steel are non-magnetic. The nissan system, from the muffler (dynomax) on back is non-magnetic. The rest of the system - Y pipe and mid pipe *are* magnetic. In other words, a magnet will 'stick' to them. Is this part of the system made of mild steel? Don't know. IIRC there are alloys of stainless (low cost) that are magnetic and will get a light coating of surface rust. Is this the case? Don't know and have no way to tell.
Somebody want to pester nissuck and find out? I'm positive that the results of your inquiry would be of interest.

dave and xtoy - how much is really stainless? confused

#50980 - 05/11/01 07:22 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
Keep you receipt with the Gibson. I had one of their systems on my truck. After about a year one of the internal walls inside the muffler came loose and was rattling around inside. It had a lifetime warranty but I had lost the receipt and was out of luck. I've had pretty good luck with the Flowmaster stuff, although they probably dont make anything for the X.

Offroad Pics

#50981 - 07/11/01 07:50 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

I ended up trimming about 2 1/2" off the tailpipe, it now stops right below the bumper corner. I rented a big pipe cutter from TrueValue ($2.16), took off the plastic corner piece, and in less that 5 minutes it was done. After a couple minutes of filing, you can't even tell I cut the pipe. laugh

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50982 - 07/11/01 01:40 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
we'll need to see some pics of the final result laugh

#50983 - 11/11/01 10:43 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

I just posted pic's of the trimmed tailpipe. Check them out: http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=8437

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50984 - 11/11/01 10:34 PM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Excellent cut work, Sean.. The next to last picture looked really good.. How are you liking the Gibson, so far?

Saw some redneck today with a Flowmaster on his S-10, and man it sounded and looked like shit. I guess he got the aluminized one cause he had rust stains everywhere.. And it was just too damn loud for me.. :rolleyes:

#50985 - 12/11/01 04:58 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
Excellent cut work, Sean.. The next to last picture looked really good.. How are you liking the Gibson, so far?

Thank you sir. So far, I'm really liking the Gibson system alot. It's so quiet, I can hardly tell I have it on! I'll tell you, the muffler itself is a class act, it's so well built, I bet I could drive over it without any damage. My mileage is about the same, ~145 miles at the halfway mark on the gas gauge, even though I'm a little more generous with the throttle when merging on the highway. All in all, a quality product.

laugh

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50986 - 14/11/01 10:14 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Cougar Offline

Loc: Germantown, MD, USA
Good cutting job Sean.
I am getting my Gibson exhaust and iV cleaner late this week or early next week. Any advice or comment?? Thanks smile

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: imcougar ]

#50987 - 14/11/01 10:23 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Very nice, Sean! It looks great!

#50988 - 15/11/01 04:56 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by imcougar:
Good cutting job Sean.
I am getting my Gibson exhaust and iV cleaner late this week or early next week. Any advice or comment?? Thanks smile

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: imcougar ]

All in all, putting on that Gibson was a painless experience. Depending on how old your stock is, I'd start soaking ALL the exhaust bolts/nuts with WD-40 now to make removing the old system much more easy. Also, if you suspect the gasket that joins the new system to old, get a new one at the dealership. I even went out and bought a 1/2" drive 17mm 6 point socket for two toughest ones (you're also need a 14mm and a 12mm for the nuts that hold the system to the truck). The other thing would be to test fit/cut the tailpipe section before tighten the clamp fully. I assumed the length was OK to begin with. See what happens when you assume?

:rolleyes:

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50989 - 15/11/01 11:30 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Cougar Offline

Loc: Germantown, MD, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

All in all, putting on that Gibson was a painless experience. Depending on how old your stock is, I'd start soaking ALL the exhaust bolts/nuts with WD-40 now to make removing the old system much more easy. Also, if you suspect the gasket that joins the new system to old, get a new one at the dealership. I even went out and bought a 1/2" drive 17mm 6 point socket for two toughest ones (you're also need a 14mm and a 12mm for the nuts that hold the system to the truck). The other thing would be to test fit/cut the tailpipe section before tighten the clamp fully. I assumed the length was OK to begin with. See what happens when you assume?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the adivce.. i don't think i am goning to have too much trouble taking it down since my truck is only 3 months old. I'll probably go buy gaskets just to spare in case something happens and i don't have a car to go anywhere.. . smile anyway, i can't wait till the new exhaust and air system to be installed...

#50990 - 17/01/02 12:44 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Hey Sean, how's the Gibson doing after a couple of months?? I'm thinking about buying one.. smile

#50991 - 18/01/02 04:28 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
Hey Sean, how's the Gibson doing after a couple of months?? I'm thinking about buying one.. smile

So far so good, just the right amount of exhaust note. My only complaint is it doesn't look new anymore! The only thing I've had to do is clean the tip of the tailpipe with WD-40 a couple of times because I didn't install that ricey chrome tip which came with it (it's still in the box). All in all, well worth the money.

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#50992 - 18/01/02 07:53 AM Re: Question About Gibson Exhaust System...
xterrasd Offline

That was one of my main complaints with most after makrket exhaust systems, that damn chrome tip! Not appropriate for the X at all. The Nissan pipe is finished on the end BUT just pipe! I for one dug that.

I ended up with the Nissan stainless exhaust and have been very happy with it. The sound is great! Just enough to know it's there but not too loud. Hooked up with a fellow club member that's running the HKS and we got to compare. The verdict was that the Nissan exhaust is about the same as the HKS in sound.

RJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal