shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#510074 - 14/03/08 06:58 AM "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

this may be a non-issue, but thought I'd ask.

Picked up my '08 (S) a couple weeks ago. Whenever I stop the vehicle and shut it off, the exhuast "ticks".. Quite loudly really, for about 10 minutes.

I've heard cars do this before, assumed it was related to the hot exhaust/cold weather, and never thought much of it.

Only reason I bring it up is because a guy I work with bought the same truck a day before I did, we travel the same distance to work, but his does not make this sound.

(on mine...it doesn't matter how far/long I drive..happens if I drive 2 miles or 20 miles)

What do you guys think? Is it an issue or a non-issue?

#510075 - 14/03/08 08:48 AM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't like it, take it back to the dealer... warranty's are your friend... but i'm willing to guess it's just as you said... hot exaust.

#510076 - 14/03/08 10:27 AM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Only reason I bring it up is because a guy I work with bought the same truck a day before I did, we travel the same distance to work, but his does not make this sound."

Now that's odd - same conditions/weather/commute etc - I'd expect them to behave the same.

Anyone wanna speculate what could be different?

Mine does that frequently, as have many vehicles I've owned so I don't really pay much attention to it.

#510077 - 19/03/08 12:19 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

The ticking sound is from all the heat shields around the exhaust. If your friends is not ticking, then that is quit rare. Ticking is normal, and over time I've come to like the sound of the ticking.

Patrick

#510078 - 19/03/08 01:52 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 08 ticks like that too. So did my 99 Cherokee I traded in. I think my Mom's Grand Cherokee does too. Thinking about it I can't remember any cars I've driven doing that, but I don't drive cars very often.

#510079 - 19/03/08 02:07 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

The ticking is the sound the exhaust and shields make when they are cooling off. No worries.

#510080 - 14/04/08 03:00 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 08 SE and it ticks too... Nothing to worry about I guess... I have heard a lot of harley do that smile Oh wait, bad reference...

--fabien
08 SE, 2650k and counting

#510081 - 15/04/08 09:56 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same ticking om mine, I had it on a second hand 2 months owned GMC Envoy.....(Oh No)...but I never had on my VW Passat (sh) owned for 5 years now.
But sems normal...don't worry

#510082 - 21/04/08 04:26 PM Re: "ticking" exhaust on '08
Anonymous
Unregistered

Totally normal, the exhaust is contracting as it cools down after operation. My VW GTI did the same thing.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal