shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#510687 - 03/03/05 11:03 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am extremely dissappointed with the new Frontier. And so my dislikes of that are directly ported over to the new Xterra.

I think Nissan is leaving it's mission statement, and starting to produce vehicles that cost more, but may (or may not; time will tell) sell more units. From a company standpoint, I completely understand it. But from a product standpoint, they're missing the boat.

#510688 - 03/03/05 11:08 AM Re: So disappointed...
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
I am extremely dissappointed with the new Frontier. And so my dislikes of that are directly ported over to the new Xterra.

I think Nissan is leaving it's mission statement, and starting to produce vehicles that cost more, but may (or may not; time will tell) sell more units. From a company standpoint, I completely understand it. But from a product standpoint, they're missing the boat.
Ok... now you lost me. So why bother coming to these boards, no less an X board. Why bother???

Sell your Fronty, get a Jeep and leave. wink

#510689 - 03/03/05 11:18 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well times change, and Nissan is trying to at least keep up, if not lead the way. I'm a new Nissan owner, so my observations are mainly from the outside (which is a good thing I think). I think the Pathfinder is a good example of what you're talking about. The Pathfind used to be a good, tough, SUV. It wasn't flashy, but it had decent room inside and was good on and off road. Now the thing is a beast. It feels huge when driving, and it's interior is darn close to feeling luxury.

It just seems to me that Nissan is shifting their SUV line up a notch, and maybe will add something else between the Xterra and the Murano. /shrug

I still think the Xterra ('05) embodies the rough and tumble outdoorsy image though...I mean heck the cargo area isn't even carpeted anymore.

If you want to talk about sad states of affairs in offroad vehicles, look at the LR3 vs. the old Discovery. I mean, my grandma could take that thing offroad now because they've made it so automatic.

#510690 - 03/03/05 11:18 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Sell your Fronty, get a Jeep and leave.
Ahh, no. Jeep doesn't make a truck. And they don't make a decent sport-ute, either. They make a damn good offroader, back in 1985, but haven't made anything worth spending money on, IMO, since then...

But back to the low end torque... I'm glad Nissan claims they get 90% of their torque below 2000 rpms. That's nice to know. But that was for the 3.3L V6, not the 4.0L. Here, look at the following dyno charts:

Stock, 2005 Frontier:

Stock 2001-2004 Frontier:

If you'll notice, the 3.3L hit +/- 200 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels, at 2900 RPMS. The '05 4.0L V6 doesn't hit 200 ft-lbs until around 3600 rpms. That's a pretty big difference, when you're pulling a heavy boat out of the water, or when you're hauling a lot of weight. Sure, more power is nice. But if it's not when you need it for truck functions, then it's just there for more speed, aka, pavement pounding, rice burning, waste-of-money power...

If you want to race an Xterra, then hell yeah the '05 is the way to go.

If you want a strong truck that's strong when you need it (low rpm power), then don't get an '05. Get an '04.

#510691 - 03/03/05 11:30 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Morvran:
maybe will add something else between the Xterra and the Murano.
Nothing "serious" will find its way in there. The only SUV I see coming to the lineup would be the XTrail to compete with the CR-V and Rav4, and though Nissan has said it won't come here, I saw a post from someone that saw a blurb in a magazine that it was going to happen after all.

#510692 - 03/03/05 12:22 PM Re: So disappointed...
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I think its so ignorant to expect the Xterra not to change at all. If you guys wanted the X to remain the same for the 2005, then why don't you just buy a used '01? If I have never owned an Xterra before and looking at buying an SUV, I would buy the '05 in an instant. Bigger, better, more powerful than the old models. A minivan it isn't!

#510693 - 03/03/05 12:42 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Ahh, no. Jeep doesn't make a truck. And they don't make a decent sport-ute, either. They make a damn good offroader, back in 1985, but haven't made anything worth spending money on, IMO, since then...
[/QB]
So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.

#510694 - 03/03/05 01:34 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If you'll notice, the 3.3L hit +/- 200 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels, at 2900 RPMS. The '05 4.0L V6 doesn't hit 200 ft-lbs until around 3600 rpms.
Are you comparing the S/C Frontier? Because the NA 3.3 only had 202 ft/lbs at the crank. The S/C 3.3 had 246. So unless that dyno is a S/C Frontier, that graph of the stock torque is not right.

#510695 - 03/03/05 01:50 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kung Fu Jedi:
So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.
Exactly... Since the first Xterra is gone, there isn't a decent SUV on the market right now. Gonna' have to wait for somebody to wake up and realize that everybody doesn't have to have leather and a smooth, cushy, on-pavement ride...

Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.

#510696 - 03/03/05 02:16 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it's a shame you don't feel the X still fits the bill for you. To me, it's the only real SUV on the market right now. The 05 is a great vehicle that I don't regret waiting for and buying. I respect your right to your opinion, but I just don't agree with you about the X losing it's roots. If anything, I'd say it's still true to it's roots while providing even more capabilities. Besides the more powerful engine, I love the track system for securing cargo in the back, the new cargo area which is so much easier to clean, and the addition of the steps to get to the roof rack more easily. The undercariage is much more protected now for off roading, the extra space inside is welcome for me, and I for one like the new roof basket with the lid on it. I can understand someone not being partial to the looks of the new one, as that's an opinion, even if it's one I don't share, but it's pretty hard to argue against the added capabilities and functionality of the '05 X, and as I said earlier, it's not really at that much more of an expense.

#510697 - 03/03/05 04:25 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

prices are going to continue to rise, its called inflation, simple economic principle, its foolish to think car manufacturers will continue to make a decent SUV at $18-20k unless they can figure out a way to dramatically reduce costs. granted inflation is low right now, the price of steel and other materials has gone up, not to mention the fact that the price of labor is higher also. So unless the nissan plant in tennessee moves to mexico or china, dont expect to see a lowering of prices.

btw...the new xterra rocks, can't wait to purchase one in a couple more months.

#510698 - 03/03/05 05:20 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kung Fu Jedi:
[b]So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.
Exactly... Since the first Xterra is gone, there isn't a decent SUV on the market right now. Gonna' have to wait for somebody to wake up and realize that everybody doesn't have to have leather and a smooth, cushy, on-pavement ride...

Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.[/b]
With a nick like porsche996, looks like your're seeking something the X will never have.

The X is slighty bigger, better engine, and more refined (although still cheap).

Looks like you're looking for a Jeep Rubicon which even the Old X can't beat for it's off-roading.

#510699 - 03/03/05 05:52 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like we are a little split on this, I agree with a few on here. Just feel in a way, that Nissan is selling out. I don't think they have yet, the 05 is a great vehicle with many capabilitiies, however, with some of the new features they are on the same path as all other SUV manufacturers. I was drawn to the Xterra because it was a back to basics vehicle that could provide for the needs of those that it was originially marketed for. I wouldn't want them to lose that, but I see it coming.

#510700 - 03/03/05 07:30 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reality, the first generation xterra really was the last true old-school style SUV. The only one of its kind to include a 5-spd manual, rear live axle with leaf springs, dash mounted parking brake, 4x4 lever, and a carryover chassis from the previous nissan trucks.

Really, the first generation xterra uses almost exactly the same technology as the 1990 4runners when they first came out. I loved the 2nd gen 4runners for their simplicity and truck features, which is why the xterra turned me on for a newer truck.

Now though, nothing is the same anymore. We will never see another SUV with a floor mounted 4x4 lever, dash mounted parking brake and stuff...

Truly sad. frown keep your 1st gen x's boys because it really is the last of its kind...

#510701 - 03/03/05 07:33 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by nhk8e:
Looks like we are a little split on this, I agree with a few on here. Just feel in a way, that Nissan is selling out. I don't think they have yet, the 05 is a great vehicle with many capabilitiies, however, with some of the new features they are on the same path as all other SUV manufacturers. I was drawn to the Xterra because it was a back to basics vehicle that could provide for the needs of those that it was originially marketed for. I wouldn't want them to lose that, but I see it coming.
Actually the new X is even more capable than the old one. If anything, it hasn't sold out. They did go in the direction of more goodies, but it isn't at the expense of X DNA.

If anything I wish the X OR version was more like the Rubicon, and was ruggedized a bit more.
It really needs a rubber floor, some bottom dimaond plate trim, and 2" more ground clearance. It think then it would be a worthy OR without compromising all-around comfort.

#510702 - 04/03/05 06:26 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’ve test driven & priced a lot of SUV’s, and with the X I see a lot of “Bang for the Buck” you’ve got good engine & 4x4 capabilities, without getting into too many unnecessary upscale amenities ie., NO leather, navi system, sunroof, 3rd row etc. etc.

Anything much less, would be too uncivilized for me.

For those wanting less & not more, sounds like a bare bones Jeep Wrangler may fit the bill.

#510703 - 04/03/05 08:49 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.
I expect you to be one of the first to buy a Crosslander if they actually make it to market then...

#510704 - 04/03/05 09:12 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrible:
Quote:
[b]Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.
I expect you to be one of the first to buy a Crosslander if they actually make it to market then...[/b]
If they can build them reliably (in other words, if they don't break the moment it rolls off the lot..), then yeah, I'll look into them. Just don't know if I'd buy something from an unestablished company, especially w/ as many problems as their having just getting the finances in order to start building/selling the darn things. Not much worse than buying a vehicle, and then having the manufacturer go out of business in a year or two!

#510705 - 04/03/05 12:33 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tahoe_x:
I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:
I don't agree. Top picture looks dated. The X looks more powerful with the 2005 updates.

#510706 - 04/03/05 12:46 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xray2:
It really needs a rubber floor
Kinda sad that the Honda Element has the interior that the Xterra should have had all along. Rubber floor, and waterproof seats...

#510707 - 04/03/05 01:42 PM Re: So disappointed...
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
I don't think it's going to sell as well as the new Pathfinder and Frontier. They're MUCH prettier, and have more frills. I see new Frontiers and Pathfinders all over the place, but I haven't seen a new X on the road yet (at least not a post-production one).

#510708 - 04/03/05 02:06 PM Re: So disappointed...
bburns Offline

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
Give it some time. Both the Frontier and Pathfinder have been on sale longer than the X. I've only seen X's on dealer lots in the last two weeks.

#510709 - 04/03/05 02:16 PM Re: So disappointed...
pdanko Offline

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
To me the appearance all comes down to not having a slant on the rear windows. if the pillar between the rear passenger and cargo area windows was slanted the '05s would look pretty darn nice. With it being completely vertical it looks like a cargo van.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -Voltaire

#510710 - 04/03/05 03:31 PM Re: So disappointed...
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
You guys crack me up... they should have done this, done that... let them do THEIR work...

Go drive it, go drool over it. Good job Nissan!

Some of you guys with negative comments worry me. Why so much energy expressing how much you hate it and can't stand it. Just post in other forums where you can share positive vibes. If I could ban you from just this Forum - I would. It's getting old... I could name the 5 of you that keep posting crap!

Editted to add: I guess the name of this thread gives you guys a place to vent... go ahead... keep venting. I will just stop trying to explain the other side. (kinda reminds me of Ian's sig - Nobody's listening)

TremorX - what's up with you? Get out and enjoy the fresh air... they've only been out 2 weeks. I've already seen 1 on the road in a town that has only had 2 to 3 per dealership.

#510711 - 04/03/05 04:39 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I kinda agree with fastdrmr - I like the body of the '04 better than the '05. I havent checked the inside of the '05 yet but shit man, Nissan has to make some changes to it - they can't come out with the same thing every year. Some ain't going to like whats done, some will. But we can all agree on one thing and thats that the X is a damn good truck. I am overly satisfied with my '04

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal