shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#510662 - 02/03/05 12:47 PM So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van. mad Agreed...the bigger engine and convenient storage as well as the new fold down seat are great...HOWEVER...the switch for 4wd? the carseat belt in the roof in the back? the hand brake in the middle? Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why? I love the looks of the previous vehicle as well, I have an 04. I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road (not that their is anything wrong with soccer moms...but the x, in my opinion, should't be their vehicle...had to vent, I feel better now smile

#510663 - 02/03/05 12:53 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

maybe nissan wanted to expand their market for the xterra, after all it is their cheapest SUV, more sales couldn't hurt.

#510664 - 02/03/05 01:21 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.

#510665 - 02/03/05 01:57 PM Re: So disappointed...
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by nhk8e:
Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van. mad Agreed...the bigger engine and convenient storage as well as the new fold down seat are great...HOWEVER...the switch for 4wd? the carseat belt in the roof in the back? the hand brake in the middle? Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why? I love the looks of the previous vehicle as well, I have an 04. I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road (not that their is anything wrong with soccer moms...but the x, in my opinion, should't be their vehicle...had to vent, I feel better now smile
You are entitled to your opinion. Sad thing is that your opinion does not match the majority of the XOC community - pre 2005!

Poke around and you will see that every change, down to the locker was taken from this community and the real users. Take some time and find out why they did what they did.

You think it looks like a mini-van, that's fine! I personally think they did a great job! Thank you Nissan for listening.

#510666 - 02/03/05 02:02 PM Re: So disappointed...
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
the switch for 4wd? the hand brake in the middle?
I dunno how these fit into your paragraph. What's wrong with having a switch? So what??

And as for the hand brake in the middle, FINALLY. I'm taking it you don't drive a manual? Sitting on a bouldery slippery hill, trying to get going again is a pain in the ass with the fucking handbrank under the dashboard. Besides, now when it snows you can just reach down and sliiiiiide your ass around those corners like weeeeeeee!

#510667 - 02/03/05 02:08 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

In 99 the Xterra was what brought Nissan back from Death and when Fiat sent Ghosen over too for that matter. The automobile industry is changing. Off-roaders represent such a slim market segment, that Nissan must focus on the vast majority of buyers (all taken from data upon car sales). business is business.

This is exactly why the multi-billion dollar aftermarket exists. To fill the niche's, to cater to the customers who demand more from their vehicles (ie. XOC members). Nissan has built a better vehicle in virtually every dimension. The old X was a little small, this one is a little bigger. The old x was underpowered, this one has enough power...etc etc. XOC demanded a locker, Nissan put it in (again thanks to e-locker technology). Nissan designed a package for the "Off-Roader." Shocks, Lockers, bigger tires, 4x4 assit option...almost everything members do to their own rigs.

Yes, a button shifter for the 4wd might suck, but its a standard across the model line and prob the same part (cutting costs). If you dont like it, Atlas makes a great T-case and Advance Adapters will def. help you mate it to the trans. ALL YOU NEED IS MONEY FOR THESE MODS, just like Nissan needs money too, to produce vehicles and operate a multinational corporation. Auto manufactures think on a grand scale, catering to the masses whereas Specialty manufactures think on a smaller scale, catering to the niche markets. thats business.

#510668 - 02/03/05 02:17 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is definitely all a matter of opinion, and again, just venting. I do drive a manual, I am happy for all the 05 owners, there are the pluses, but...again...opnion, I love the old X. I figured I would get a lot of feedback. In time, when this X dies on me, I probably won't have a choice but to drive the newer X. Just wish they had stuck to the basics as was the original intent.

#510669 - 02/03/05 03:52 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mtbcyclist:
Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.
I am not usually opinionated about too much but for the diverse crowd of "X" owners, I think the quote of "Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] " is a little idoiotic. [ThumbsDown] mad [ThumbsDown]

#510670 - 02/03/05 03:54 PM Re: So disappointed...
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
As much as I absolutely loathe the 05, I don't get your complaints.

#510671 - 02/03/05 04:41 PM Re: So disappointed...
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
Quote:
Originally posted by mytrophy:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtbcyclist:
[b]Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.
I am not usually opinionated about too much but for the diverse crowd of "X" owners, I think the quote of "Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] " is a little idoiotic. [ThumbsDown] mad [ThumbsDown] [/b]
Well I do have to agree. It is really [Rainbow]

#510672 - 02/03/05 05:05 PM Re: So disappointed...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
the switch for 4wd?
Worked perfectly in my test drive

Quote:
the carseat belt in the roof in the back?
Uh, it's not for carseats, and it's also a new requirement by our government. Bitch at the NHTSA not Nissan.

Quote:
the hand brake in the middle?
Don't you DARE diss the hand brake - we finally get a real hand brake and you are bitching? Idiot!

Quote:
Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why?
Where we asked them to - you neglected to mention real improvements such as the spare tire tucked way up to improve the rear departure angle, nothing protruding below the frame to get hung up, the ability to have larger stock tires, FACTORY LOCKER, BIGGER ENGINE that gets BETTER GAS MILEAGE.

Seems like they were paying attention to me. You can't please anyone, but if your three complaints above are the best you have where were YOU going and why?

Quote:
I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....
Yup, soccer moms want rear lockers, stiffer shocks, improved dparture angles and box ladder frames :rolleyes:

Quote:
just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road
OK, I still fail to see the validity of your point. An electronic 4x4 control, seat belt and parking brake in the center console do not make the X a soccor mom mobile :rolleyes:

Why don't you actually drive one before inserting your foot into your mouth.

Sorry, I just had to vent - I feel better now

#510673 - 02/03/05 06:12 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm starting to like this forum. Venting is met with anti-venting and followed with uber-venting. :-)

I think I know what he meant by not liking the switch. When I was deciding between the '04 and the '05, I was dismayed to see a knob controlling the 4wheel settings. Coming from a Jeep and a Land Rover, I enjoy the feeling of actually putting the car into 4hi and lo. But I've gotten used to this switch thing quickly.

As for the soccer mom thing...there's not a 3rd row seat in it or anything hehe. Although they *did* reduce the cargo room which kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I'd rather have more cargo room than rear seat room, but that's just personal preference. I care more about room for my dogs than my human passengers. :-)

#510674 - 02/03/05 07:51 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

nhk8e ::: you've got to be joking!! ??

There NO way the new 05 X is too mini van’ish. You need to go test drive a few (mini-vans), and update your test vehicle reference points.

I like all of the X upgrades, while still remaining true to the X base character.

You should drive a Envoy, TB, or Highlander, they are too mini-van like.

#510675 - 02/03/05 08:57 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

i mostly agree with you nhk8e!

seems the new xterra is being marketed more and more towards the weekend warrior city folk. they even mentioned in their website how cool it is "to rush past people on the 4 lane freeway on the way to the mountains".

the new xterra really has lost a lot of its original flare. it doesnt seem as rugged and simple as it was. everything got computerized too, with the 4x4 engagement, variable valve timing, electronic throttle, VDC, UDC, BCC, idiot controls yada yada yada...

the original xterra was made (or seemed to be) for people who just want the classic style sturdy built bare bones suv. it definitely aint that anymore! the price more than shows it.

once and awhile, i watch the promo video tape they gave out with the 2000 xterra brochures when they first came out (that cardboard thing) and realize how much things have changed...

What really gets me is that they have an OFF ROAD 2wd versioN of the new xterra!!! [ThumbsDown]

#510676 - 02/03/05 09:30 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

you make a good point, im sure there are quite a few people who like to keep things simple but the majority of people just want more out of an SUV. It was inevitable that nissan used more innovation to build their cars instead of sticking to the same old plan. Did you really expect them to fall behind to competition? It's a new design so they needed new technology and new features to draw sales. Most people love new technology whether they understand it or not. In my opinion, It's one of the best and most affordable SUVs on the market. I mean comeon would you rather have a jeep liberty instead? haha

#510677 - 02/03/05 09:35 PM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:

#510678 - 02/03/05 09:49 PM Re: So disappointed...
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
...Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van....
You got a '04 4x4 Xterra....I don't understand what you are Bitchin' about...Just enjoy what you have...and enjoy Life for crying out loud...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#510679 - 03/03/05 06:22 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that everyone has opinion on what they like and don't like. For instance, there isn't anything on the Chevy lot that you could GIVE me at the moment, yet I see tons of Impala's, Malibu's, Cavalier's etc. driving around. For me, the new X is awesome. I still like the old one as well, but the new one just a wonderful upgrade in so many ways.

Besides, what other SUV out there right now is as capable as the X for someone who has an active outdoor lifestyle or enjoys going offroading? Perhaps the Jeeps, but nearly everything else is designed for on-road comfort and mall crawling. Nissan really did a great job of listening to their customers and building a more capable vehicle. I respect anyone's right to have an opinion, but there really isn't much to compare the X to if you want a good, solid, very capable offroad vehicle that doesn't break the bank. And despite what some people are saying, the price hasn't gone up that much, especially when you consider all the refinements and additions.

#510680 - 03/03/05 06:46 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

price hasnt really gone up much

2004 prices (MSRP)
2WD XE 4-door wagon, manual $18,000
2WD XE V6 4-door wagon, manual $19,400
2WD XE V6 4-door wagon, automatic $20,400
4WD XE V6 4-door wagon, manual $21,400
4WD XE V6 4-door wagon, automatic $22,400
2WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $24,700
4WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $26,700
4WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $26,700
4WD SE S/C 4-door wagon, automatic $28,000

2005 prices (MSRP)
4dr Off Road 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $24,200.00)
4dr Off Road 2WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $23,200.00)
4dr Off Road 4WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $26,700.00)
4dr Off Road 4WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $25,500.00)
4dr S 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $21,600.00)
4dr S 2WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $20,800.00)
4dr S 4WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $23,700.00)
4dr S 4WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $22,900.00)
4dr SE 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $25,300.00)
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A) $27,300

the only price that is different unless you look at some of the base models, you also gotta remember the base 2004 xterra has a 4 cyclinder engine and the 2005 base model is more capable, the SE prices are about right on.

#510681 - 03/03/05 06:46 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

2001 XE
3.3L 4x4 5-spd

posted March 02, 2005 10:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:

I don't see what the problem is. The shapes are basically the same. The '05 looks more refined, aerodynamic and stronger. My roommate had a 2000 X and it was cool and very practical. It helped me move from my apt and I didn't have to rent a truck! I think the new X should be just as good. I'm tempted to do another test drive tomorrow when I get my oil changed!!!

#510682 - 03/03/05 06:52 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by keg:
the only price that is different unless you look at some of the base models, you also gotta remember the base 2004 xterra has a 4 cyclinder engine and the 2005 base model is more capable, the SE prices are about right on.
But that's the whole point. They've gotten rid of their cheap starting point, aka, barebones SUV. Remember the "Everything you need...nothing you don't".

Well... Why do we NEED 260+ hp, with virtually no low-end torque, in a SUV? You NEED those numbers for a pavement pounding, carry the kids around but don't venture out into the wild, SUV.

Or how about a 2WD "Offroad" edition? Is that really "Needed"? You know what a 2wd "Offroad" vehicle is called? A tow vehicle...

Everything you need, and nothing you don't? Not anymore. That's no longer what the Xterra is. And that's what the griping is about. Where is the barebones SUV the Xterra was supposed to be? It's stuck in 2004, never to be brought back.

Just think. In a few more renditions, the Xterra will be bloated like the present day Pathfinder is, and then Nissan will have to make a choice as to which one to get rid of. Not only that, they'll introduce yet another "barebones" SUV to the market, and start the cycle all over again...

#510683 - 03/03/05 07:46 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the whole 2wd "Off Road" edition. That's an odd choice. However, how many people actually bought an '00-'04 X 2x4 XE manual with the four cylinder engine? To me, that X is practically useless. Complete lack of power, forget about off road capability, you'll have a tough time in snow, and basically you've got an SUV body, but not the SUV guts. I'm sure there were people who bought them just to have an SUV, but sales had to be very low. I don't think I ever saw one of these on the lot where I live.

My dealer had '04 XE's dressed out almost exactly the same as my '05 S and the sticker price was nearly identical. Granted, you can get the '04 a lot cheaper now as they're trying to blow 'em off the lot. My point is, that the whole "everything you need, nothing you don't" concept is a matter of opinion. What I need may not be the same as what you need, and I certianly needed a lot of the refinements on the new X. The current lowend X is a little more money then the older model, but what you get for that money is well worth it. If you're happy with an old I4 engine, 2x4 X with no options, then more power to you. But name me one other true SUV out there right now that offers as much as the X at such a great price.

#510684 - 03/03/05 08:44 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What really gets me is that they have an OFF ROAD 2wd versioN of the new xterra!!!
Yea, its really great too, I like the blue fabric, the wheels are the best looking of the 3 models, and the bilstein shocks give it a great ride. I almost went for an SE until I discovered that the Off Road was made in 2x4. I aslo added the step rails as an accessory and it looks great [ThumbsUp]

#510685 - 03/03/05 09:52 AM Re: So disappointed...
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
the irony here is that the '04 is much more of a pussidied soccer-mom-mobile than the '05

in 2000 the X was back to basics, everything you need, nothign you dont... '01's were ok, not much changed... then progressively every year they got more pussified and included more things you didn't need or want.

2005 fixes that

#510686 - 03/03/05 10:44 AM Re: So disappointed...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
But that's the whole point. They've gotten rid of their cheap starting point, aka, barebones SUV. Remember the "Everything you need...nothing you don't".

Yeah, the 4x2 4-cylinder was a lame duck, and Nissan was right to drop it. Otherwise, base prices haven't changed much for comparable models as someone pointed out on another board:
The base XE 4x4 was $21,800/$22,800 (MT/AT) for 2004, the 2005 S 4x4 comes in at $22,900/$23,700 (MT/AT). In fact, the 04 SE SC 4x4 automatic, without additional options, started at $28,400, $1100 MORE than the most expensive 05 SE 4x4 automatic that comes in at $27,300 without additional options.

Well... Why do we NEED 260+ hp, with virtually no low-end torque, in a SUV? You NEED those numbers for a pavement pounding, carry the kids around but don't venture out into the wild, SUV.
Huh? Per Nissan: Powering the new Xterra is a standard 4.0-liter DOHC V6, rated at 265 horsepower and 284 lb-ft torque. The new engine ... has been specifically tuned for SUV and truck applications. Not to mention 90% of the torque is available under 2000 RPM, and Edmund's said "The 4.0 V6 provides so much bottom-end punch that it feels like a V8 has taken roost under the hood." I drove one, and while the gearing does eat a lot of the off-the-line punch, it catches up kicks in real strong real quick.

Or how about a 2WD "Offroad" edition? Is that really "Needed"? You know what a 2wd "Offroad" vehicle is called? A tow vehicle...
As I said before, it's a trim level, just like S and SE. If they gave it the locker, I'd feel the same way you do, but I see no harm here.

Everything you need, and nothing you don't? Not anymore. That's no longer what the Xterra is. And that's what the griping is about. Where is the barebones SUV the Xterra was supposed to be? It's stuck in 2004, never to be brought back.
You own a Frontier, what do you care anyway? How do you feel about the exact same points in relation to the Frontier? It has the same "pavement-pounding" engine with "virtually no low-end torque." It has a 4x2 "Nismo" Off-Road version, with a locker no less, some "tow vehicle" eh?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal