shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#514049 - 26/11/05 09:39 PM GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i couldnt get my new X with the autodim mirror, the one they found had everything else but this so i took it. I asked the dealership if it could be installed and they said no. well i was disappointed. I saw a thread on here about a guy who did it in his 05 fronty. well i contacted him and got the same one he did from the same guy(great guys). I did the install today and will have pics and write up tomorrow. this has even more features then the stock offered one and is about the same price as that option. It has autodim,compass,temp sensor, and three HomeLink Buttons(garage door opener,etc.) Looks and works great. Like i said pics and write up tomorrow.

#514050 - 26/11/05 10:53 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome, I want to do the same and look forward to your write up.

#514051 - 27/11/05 06:25 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Walrus Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Do you mean Gentex?

#514052 - 27/11/05 08:14 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

oops yup i do, it was kinda late sorry haha. itll be up this afternoon.

#514053 - 27/11/05 03:16 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Beetle,
were did you mount your temp sensor?

#514054 - 27/11/05 03:59 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

give me a little while i just uploaded pics.

#514055 - 27/11/05 05:04 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok so like i stated earlier i had wanted this, was told i couldnt get it or have it installed,went and did it myself.It cost $256.99 with shipping (FEDEX)and trim piece included. Email Rob Farrell at info@brand-new.us . Got the idea from this guy http://www.reverendbiker.com/ Pretty simple steps. In addition to what comes in your box, grab some more zip ties if you want a cleaner install. Youll need a little waterproof grease to run around the seal for the temp sensor. And a torx bit to fit the new mirrors screw. they said #120 i used a #25 and tightened it hand tight. popping off panels can be unnerving but the pop is just the panel detaching.I hate reprogramming stations and didnt want to have to redo a blinking airbag light, i left the battery connected. also to verify everything with my multimeter.

1. remove the old mirror. youll need a thin,long flat hear screwdriver or equivalent. it will slide between the mirror and the glass mount(red arrow) to push up on the locking tang(green arrow)Rock back and forth, voila.

2.pull the panels. unscrew the handle with a #3 cross tip. Pop up and out the upper panel. Next the small panel just under the upper one. then the door sill panel. now pull the black plastic piece holding the kickpanel to the carpet in the front of the foot well. removed the kickpanel and then the reinforced panel behind it. place these nicely somewhere where they wont get damaged. Note you will have to work the weatherstipping on the door frame off the panels as they sit under it on the outer side. itll look something like this.

3. run the temp sensor. i didnt want the sensor exposed like ive seen on other set ups. i wanted to keep it away from direct wind and radiator heat.start applying a small amount of grease to the seal on the sensor, next open the hood and drop it down right behind the light assembly. under the X you will see the front left body mount it should attach to that.there is a small hole you can put it in.(red arrow). Zip tie it a coulple inches back to the mount. so you can remove it if need be later and to secure it better. for reference, the green dot is the underside of the front bumper.

4. now run the covered wiring along the driver side of the engine bay, zip tie it to the existing harness that runs under the airbox inlet.(red arrow shows the harness for the sensor)

#514056 - 27/11/05 05:05 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

5.slice a slit into the firewall and run the two wires thru(red arrow). be careful, the terminals are on the end and can bend easy. if that happens it will be crappy getting them into the mirror plug.

6. run the wires up the left side of the foot well and the a pillar and leave them on the dash for now.
7. Use the supplied terminal splices to splice into your 12 volt constant and switched. (red arrows) the pictures show you were. Kick panel is switched and a pillar is constant.

8. You will need to good ground. there is no ground bolt on the A pillar (like the 05 fronty) in the X. i had to look elsewhere. the kickpanel was home to a good ground with a bolt that did nothing.(red arrow) it is 12mm

9. the supplied terminal end was too small for this bolt so i spliced in one of my extras in my wiring kit. fit great.

#514057 - 27/11/05 05:05 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

10. run the wires for the power down the a pillar and into the foot well. you will have to peel apart the three wires to allow them to go to different spots. The black/white is switched, the outer black is constant and the inner with the lug is obviously ground. Dont zip tie anything yet. you should now have both the temp sensor wires and the power wires on the dash.
11. Mount up the new mirror. just slide it on and tighten down with the torx bit. 1 ft/lbs torque is enough by hand.
12. Attach temp sensor ends into the mirror plug. youll need pop up the white lock so they can slide in. use the lower left two spots. either way is fine. then lock the white piece back down. snap into the back of mirror.
13. run the wires into the headliner starting at the mirror left. use a credit card or ID. leave enough for the mirror to move and wires to remain against glass. unclip the wire clip(green arrow) and put wires uner it. Use optional 6 dollar trim piece to hide wires(red arrow).

14.Plug the wires into the respective places and screw in ground. test mirror out.
15 mirror should remain off until key is in on postion(if not switch your power wires)then should diplay temp,and a direction with CAL next to it. the center green light should be lit and should turn red upon pressing each homelink button. the N button will turn off display. Cover front(front of car side) photo sensor with tape or finger. shine a light in the rear. the mirror should dim accordingly and the display should dim.
15. Ok i left the tails on the zip ties for these pics so you could how many i used. theses are the wiring routes.The large amount of temp wiring excess is wound up and tied off just it enters the foot well behind the firewall. I didnt shorten it for fear of if i splice it or soldered it, the resistance values might change something.
A PILLAR

KICK PANEL

FORWARD FOOTWELL

UPPER FOOTWELL (red arrow is brake mechanism)

#514058 - 27/11/05 05:06 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

16. make sure everything is away from where it might meet plastic and rattle or might short out on.
17. Snap all plastic back in opposite the way you took it out. Remember the weather stripping goes on the left edge of the peices. except the kickpanel and sill panel which rest on the seal. use the passanger side as a guide. if you have trouble getting the stripping over use a flat blade screw driver and angle it on(two pics). dont slide it against the plastic, we all know it mars easy.use your fingers to work it over. do this till it look s like you never touched anything. Note the colder it is the stiffer the rubber will be, try performing in a garage or warm part of the day for best results.

18. follow the rest of the instructions for garage door openers and compass calibration.(you can drive it around and it will learn the direction after you input the magnetic zone your in)
19. ENJOY your stock,stealth,pimp,top-o-the-line addition to your X. wont your friends be jealous.

#514059 - 27/11/05 06:23 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, U R awesome. (I'm impressed.)

#514060 - 27/11/05 06:43 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

why thank you. Im in the process of figuring out a way to have heated,signal mirrors like the kind most big SUVs have. I have contacted Muth, a major manufacturer but they dont have enough demand for current gen Xs or Frontys. So im trying to figure out if i can mod an existing kit or convince one of these companies to get on the ball.

#514061 - 27/11/05 09:32 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok after driving at night it worked great. one thing to note is the auto dim function in city driving. you will have headlights coming at you alot and center highway lights shining on your windshield. this cuased the mirror to be less dim then normal if a car is behind you. my solution will be one of two things. i could open up the mirror splice in a interupt switch to the front photocell to cut its light sensing off. or somehow rig a small hatch or something to cover the sensor. Its definetly not a big deal. i just wonder if i could rig this up.

#514062 - 28/11/05 11:19 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, nice write up...I will order mine soon. Gentex should pay you a nice sum so they could incorporate your directions into theirs for other X'ers! ;o)

-Matt

#514063 - 28/11/05 11:28 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
That's a great write up... [ThumbsUp]

#514064 - 28/11/05 11:37 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice write up. One of the most detailed ones I have seen and kudos on all the reference pictures. [ThumbsUp]

#514065 - 28/11/05 03:02 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys. if anyone installs one ill field any questions they have.

#514066 - 28/11/05 03:10 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great write up...wiring looks pretty simple too. I was going to ask about the tape on the top of the window behind the mirror..but then realized it's a DOD sticker cool

#514067 - 28/11/05 03:16 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

sure is, but im ETSing tomorrow so its gettin peeled off.

#514068 - 28/11/05 04:28 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
thanks guys. if anyone installs one ill field any questions they have.
Here's a question: What's the purpose of the front sensor then? Why not just stick some electrical tape over it?

#514069 - 28/11/05 09:10 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

the front sensor allows the mirror to know its dark out. the problem is when you get too much ambient light in the front like i said. it still dims but not as much as im used to. manual mirrors are very dark all the time. the front sensor is the base light the mirror uses to decide to dim or not and how much to dim. the rear takes in headlights. a comparison is made and dimmed accordingly. if you put tape on it, then it would dim in daylight and your direction/temp display would dim also.

#514070 - 28/11/05 09:21 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, the front sensor is only for dimming the display of the compass/temperature, correct? Or does it also dim the mirror? If it also dims the mirror, why? Shouldn't dimming the mirror be left to the rear sensor and not the front?

#514071 - 29/11/05 12:40 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Basically the front (side closes to the windshield) sensor lets the mirror know if it's day or night. The rear (the side facing you) sensor let's the mirror know if there is a car behid you.

If it is day time. The mirror will not dim because it does not need to. If it's night and there are no cars behind you, it will not dim because it does not need to. When someone pulls up behind you at night the mirror will dim to prevent it from blinding you.

If it's a good quality mirror it uses the front and rear sensor to adjust how much it dims depending on how bright it is outside and how bright the lights behind you are.

#514072 - 29/11/05 04:48 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

mukizmans got it.

#514073 - 01/12/05 11:59 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

beetle, how long ago did you buy the mirror on ebay? It doesn't appear to be listed there any more. confused

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal