shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#514074 - 01/12/05 05:57 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

nicely done [ThumbsUp]

#514075 - 01/12/05 08:57 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

i didnt get it off ebay. i ran into the same problems you did. the fella i mentioned in the post sells them off an electronics site also. i emailed him and worked the deal out to the price i mentioned. just email him and mention the price I got and the write up. He will give you a link to a checkout from the site. it might say higher shipping but he dosnt charge you for it. very nice guy to work with and very helpfull.

#514076 - 01/12/05 09:14 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually bought onr from them today, I called them directly 1-866-350-3229, due to not seeing it on EBAy, I was told he couldn't list it on EBay due to Homelink (Johnson Controls) not allowing it. So give him a call, I was quoted $250 shipping included.

#514077 - 01/12/05 09:18 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Beetle,

How many connections were on the plug connecting to the back of the new mirror? I have a 2005 Xterra, and it came with the Dim and Compass, but I also want the Temp and Homelink, so I was seeing if I could use the existing connector on my mirror, and just add the temp sensor. The current plug I have has 7 connections on it, with only the first 2 (from left to right)having wires connected, which should be switched power and ground, so I will still need to add a constant power if that is the case. Please let me know.

#514078 - 02/12/05 07:59 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

eist1, that price sounds right. im assuming you didnt get the wire trim piece since you already have a similar set up from stock. the plug you have on the previous mirror is a 7 pin while the new one is a 10 pin. the only way you could use the existing wires would be to do some extra work. im a helicopter electrician so wiring is my forte haha. anyway you would need to pop off the 7pin connector. one of your two wires is ground the other is 12V switched.the power should have a white stripe on the wire if not do this. Take a paperclip and make it straight. insert the paperclip into one of the slots. use a mulitmeter or one of those power finders with a bulb in the handle. use the paperclip lead and find somewhere to ground. now turn the car on. if it didnt light or show volts, turn it off and try the other. one should give you the power.mark the power wire with tape. now this is the pain in the butt. pull the paperclip. unlock the plastic lock on the connector, unocking the metal connectors on the end of the wires inside. they wont just slide out. you will need to use a paperclip again or something similar. with a keen eye find which of the four sides on the little metal inserts at the end of wire has the locking tang.your going to use your paperclip or something thin to push between that tang and the plastic connector housing. when you do that (from the front of the connector, not the back where the wires go in)youll have unlocked it. gently pull the wire from the back. do this for both. when you get you gentex51 you will need to find and remove the same two wires that you already have. When you get the new harness for the power, peel off the two wires from the main harness and take them out of the plug like before. your basically just swapping two wires you have to the new 10 pin. hope that helps.

#514079 - 02/12/05 08:25 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just cut, solder and shrink wrap the wires? wink

#514080 - 02/12/05 09:37 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info beetle, it might just be easier to use the wiring that comes with it, and then have a switched power and groung available above the mirror for future accessories, such as a radar detector.

#514081 - 02/12/05 12:48 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

you could cut and solder. but, maybe its from working on helicopters, i dont like cutting original wiring unless i have to. and to me, people cant see it but ill know its there. anywiring i do in my vehicles must be done as close to factory looking as i can. visible or not. maybe its an OCD thing.

#514082 - 02/12/05 12:50 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh and normally anyone who asks basic wiring questions most likley dosnt own a soldering iron. thats just from what ive seen.

#514083 - 02/01/06 09:11 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can any of you tell me what is the difference between MITO Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and the one provided with the Gentex Mirror? I went to the EBAY Store that beetlebailey got his mirror from. I noticed that the ones with MITO Harness are $20 more, and state that it is for easy install. What is the advantage of having the MITO Harness over using the original one? Any help is greatlly appreciated.

Also, I attempted to program the homelink on my lexus for the garage door. Considering that the instructions were followed properly, are there any exclusions to what the mirror can work with, as far as garage doors go? Is the Gentex Mirror Universal for any Garage doors?

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

#514084 - 03/01/06 01:12 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

first im not sure in the difference with those harness choices, but id say stick with what comes with it. it was plenty long enough and thick enough. As far as programming goes you just follow the instuctions and itll catch whatever signal your transmitting. ive never heard of a gentex having too much trouble doing just that.

#514085 - 11/01/06 06:31 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice writeup, beetle. If I didn't already have the auto-dimming mirror, I'd follow your specs--I dig the thermometer (not sure why Nissan didn't put that in the X's as they did the Pathfinders). Well done.

And is that a CAC card I saw on the dash? Don't lose that thing--it's a bitch!

#514086 - 04/03/06 02:15 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too want a temp reading in my X. The compass only display just doesnt cut it for me....looking on ebay I found a Gentex GENK21 that has autodimming, temp display, and compass, no homelink...it is $159 shipped on ebay. Thinking about going this route as I do not need the homelink.

#514087 - 05/03/06 08:48 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I ordered my GENK60 on Thursday and received it yesterday. Installed it today and it is AWESOME. Homelink, autodim, compass, temp, and map light.

#514088 - 06/03/06 01:53 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

how much was the GenK60? Did you order through the same route as beetlebailey?

#514089 - 06/03/06 06:23 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by muffle:
how much was the GenK60? Did you order through the same route as beetlebailey?
You have PM

#514090 - 07/03/06 01:38 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eist1,

Do you know which Gentex model number you purchased? Did you end up having to cut the xterra plug off, or the mirror plug? Thanks. confused

#514091 - 08/03/06 09:01 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys,

Getting quite a few PMs about my Gentex GENK60 mirror.

I bought mine from These Guys

I ordered it over the phone:
1-877-349-5891

He sold it to me below what his normal price is because he said he was a bit overstocked on that model at the time. I ordered mine on Thursday morning and it was shipped USPS and I recieved it on Sat - they ship out of IN and I am in MN.

for reference, you need the longer of the two wire covers that runs from the mirror base to the headliner. You won't need any adapter to fit the mirror to the windshield, as the mirror fits on the existing mount.

this thread provides all the info you need on installing it. I did not hook my map light to the door switch. the light operates separately from the oem map lights via the switch on the mirror itself.

#514092 - 14/03/06 10:21 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

dude that is awesome...
but too much work...
fo sho...
nice tho
how much did it all cost...

#514093 - 14/03/06 06:00 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would have bought that version if the X didnt already have decent overhead lighting. to me it just looked a little bulky. but cool deal if thats what you guys want. Just make sure you guys get that wire cover, it really pulls the clean look of the install together.

#514094 - 15/03/06 05:15 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just won a new Gentex Homelink, temp, compass, auto dim on eBay. I didn't need the additional map lights either. Man, I can't wait until it gets here.

#514095 - 15/03/06 06:49 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
to me it just looked a little bulky.
LOL bulky. It looks identical to yours. I didn't plan on buying the 60, just that he said he would sell it to me for 20 bucks more than the 50, so I went for it. Now that I have it, I am glad I bought the one with the light.

#514096 - 15/03/06 08:42 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

i guess the dimensions are the same. the picture on the site i bought from made it look bigger. hmmm. anyway...

#514097 - 15/03/06 09:09 AM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebailey:
i guess the dimensions are the same. the picture on the site i bought from made it look bigger. hmmm. anyway...
I just ordered up a GENK40 - just homelink and autodim - for my beater protege. I will have a Gentex mirror in every vehicle now. laugh

#514098 - 15/03/06 10:34 PM Re: GENTEX51 autodim mirror Install (pics!!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks again for the install walkthough beetlebailey. smile

I had a few hours to spare this evening, so I went ahead and instaled a GENK50 mirror in my '06. The process was very straightforward, although it did take a few hours, and now I can finally pull my extra garage door remote out of my glove box where it's been rattling around for the last few weeks.

A couple of notes from my install:

- I think I received the "heavy duty" harness with my mirror package, which added 2 inline fuses to the power connections, and a 2 inch wide quick disconnect approximately 6" from the mirror plug. The disconnect took a little extra work to get pushed under the headliner, but there was plenty of room for it. I opted to not use the inline fuses however, since they were going to be next to inaccessable once everything was installed.

- On my '06, the rubber gasket around the drivers' door was not glued in place, and easily pulled off and pushed back onto the door frame. Instead of using screwdrivers to slip the gasket around the trim pieces, I simply pulled it away from the door while working on the trim.

- I was finiding it difficult to push the temperature sensor plug through the firewall gasket, so I ended up finding a rod of approximately the same diameter (in my case, a screwdriver extender), pushing it nearly all of the way through the hole I put in the gasket, then pushing the rod the rest of the way out with the plug for the temperature sensor. This allowed me to get the sensor plug/wire through the hole without damaging it, while keeping the hole itself as small as possible. I also added some black general purpose caulking around the hole to seal it up further.

- As others have mentioned, definitely get the plastic wire cover (3"-6" expandable version) to finish off your install. It's trivial to install, and gives it a very nice look in the end.

Now I just need to find an empty parking lot to do a couple of 360 degree turns to calibrate my compass without everyone looking at me funny. [Freak]

DB.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal