shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51417 - 22/04/05 08:09 AM it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the brush guard and tail light guards came in that I had ordered from aries and my older brother says "who are you gonna get to put those on?" and i informed him that i was going to do it myself. He chuckled/giggled and said "impossible"

So yea... i put the brush guard on by myself with 0 help!
that's right, it IS possible!

my brother was shocked... i still think he's waiting for it to fall off or something.
[LOL]

#51418 - 22/04/05 08:21 AM Re: it IS possible!!
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Very cool. Nothing like doing it yourself. Gives you a sense of pride.

#51419 - 22/04/05 08:32 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good for you!

I had a similar experience last night. I put on a set of homegrown rock sliders by myself. An hour later and only minor injuries they are ready for abuse!

John

#51420 - 22/04/05 09:18 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XT Utah:
Good for you!

I had a similar experience last night. I put on a set of homegrown rock sliders by myself. An hour later and only minor injuries they are ready for abuse!

John
do you have pics?

#51421 - 22/04/05 11:15 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will post pics later today or tomorrow. I got them on really late last night and didn't have the energy to take pics [Sleep] .

The sliders were made by a local guy and seem to be identical to the Calminis.

John

#51422 - 22/04/05 01:52 PM Re: it IS possible!!
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
Congrats! Job well done. Pics of your truck following the work?

(I'm surprised you're not getting flamed for the whole "brush guard" thing, but it is your truck so enjoy it however you want.)

As for a winch bumper, those are a bitch to install alone. So are the Shrocks sliders, so ask a friend for help if you get them. I used a jack stand for one end and just picked the other end up into place and started the bolts!

-Jeremy

#51423 - 22/04/05 07:07 PM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were test fitting sliders on my buddy's cherokee the other day and found my shop stool very useful.

With the pneumatic lift on it, we just set the slider on it and hit the lever and it lifted to place. Then we just had to align and bolt.

I will have to get some sliders made for the X. My girlfriend absolutely wants a step and I don't want that thin tubing stock excuse for step to bend and damage the body.

#51424 - 24/04/05 03:49 PM Re: it IS possible!!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The shrock bumper was much easier with two people to hold/align/bolt on...but the sliders were a piece of cake, just get one end bolt on, swing up and get another on the other end, and then put the rest in...one man a few minutes, and done.

laugh

And yeah, the brush guards are not a good hard core off road mod, but, alot of people like them, and its their truck...and here's a newbie doing their own wrenching for the first time and feeling good about it....so, I'm all for it.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#51425 - 25/04/05 06:06 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is going to sound really shallow... but i basically got the brushguard because it looks good. haha. i know i'm gonna get a lot of crap for sayin that. but i couldn't help myself! i just HAD to buy it! kinda like how i just HAD to buy the last pair of shoes... the million pairs i had just wasn't enough :p

#51426 - 25/04/05 07:06 AM Re: it IS possible!!
TJ Offline

All brush guards are bought for the look, so don't feel bad....same with most new rims, etc.

laugh

If you are doing some off roading, you will want to take off the step rails and mud flaps, as they will typically get broken off/ruined anyway...and this way, you can sell them to people who don't go offroad, and use the $ to get rock rails instead.

laugh

Plenty of people off road w/brush guards w/o a problem, as long as their terrain/driving style keeps the impacts at bay...so its absolutely possible.

laugh

Enjoy!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#51427 - 25/04/05 07:41 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks TJ!
I don't really plan on getting into serious hardcore offroading. i just kinda wanna play around a little bit! just out of curiosity where would you get those rock rails at?

#51428 - 25/04/05 11:49 AM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancycpt_21:
thanks TJ!
I don't really plan on getting into serious hardcore offroading. i just kinda wanna play around a little bit! just out of curiosity where would you get those rock rails at?
Both Calmini and Shrockworks have the Sliders (Rock Bars)

I have the Shrockworks on my X, I prefer them to the Calmini, more protection, but it's a matter of what you like. They both work

#51429 - 25/04/05 12:09 PM Re: it IS possible!!
TJ Offline

If you wanted to get into serious hard core off roading, you would need a lot more than rock rails (sliders).

laugh

The rock rails just replace the step rails with really tough metal bars that protects your rocker panels and door areas from accidental damage...An easy job, a few minutes...just unbolt the original flimsy aluminum step rails, and bolt in the new sliders into the same holes the stock rails used. Easier than a brush guard.

Casual playing around, if you are going over a mogal for example, or too close to a rock or tree, you can easily crunch your trucks sides...

Also - in traffic, some one hitting you from the side/or opening their door into you, is fended off, protecting you from injury and the truck from more serious damage by absorbing the impact, and spreading the forces along a larger area...

And you can stand on it...

And, most importantly for casual playing around...if you accidentally get stuck in the mud, sand, a rut, etc...you can jack yourself out by the sliders with a Hi-Lift Jack, and you CAN'T do that without them.

So - For a casual off roader not doing hard core wheeling, just wanting to play w/o getting hurt/stuck...the sliders are a really good idea.

laugh

And I also prefer the looks/functionality of the Shrockworks Sliders.

laugh

#51430 - 25/04/05 01:44 PM Re: it IS possible!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks tj. i might take a look at those. I appreciate your helpfulness! smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal