2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51431 - 26/03/04 07:43 PM Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi... I'm new to Xterra ownership and to the board... I got some good ideas/tips on the new bumper/winch combo here so I thought I'd run this one past ya...

I'm going on a long (1 year+) trip in my Xterra. I have a lot of gear going with me and don't want it to be visible when I park in populated areas (which, admittedly, won't be that often). I'd love to have a cargo cover that runs from the tailgate to the back of the front seats to hide my gear from nosey onlookers. When I ask for something like this, all of the after markets folks look at me like I've asked them to independantly hover 6" off the ground for an hour or so. confused

Does anyone have any ideas how I might accomplish this? The rear seats will be folded down and the gear can be arranged to fit below the window line. If only I could cover it! smile

Many thanks! [Wave]

#51432 - 26/03/04 07:47 PM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SaMo_Scott:
Hi... I'm new to Xterra ownership and to the board... I got some good ideas/tips on the new bumper/winch combo here so I thought I'd run this one past ya...

I'm going on a long (1 year+) trip in my Xterra. I have a lot of gear going with me and don't want it to be visible when I park in populated areas (which, admittedly, won't be that often). I'd love to have a cargo cover that runs from the tailgate to the back of the front seats to hide my gear from nosey onlookers. When I ask for something like this, all of the after markets folks look at me like I've asked them to independantly hover 6" off the ground for an hour or so. confused

Does anyone have any ideas how I might accomplish this? The rear seats will be folded down and the gear can be arranged to fit below the window line. If only I could cover it! smile

Many thanks! [Wave]
Umm.. a large tarp? Or do you need some over priced "OEM" cargo cover...

#51433 - 26/03/04 07:51 PM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I would suggest a heavier black car blanket, if you want to snug it up, attach/sew poles at either end.
Can't say I've seen anything on the market that cover a 6' length under tension.

#51434 - 26/03/04 09:22 PM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Blanket or tarp, but here's my opinion on the whole thing.

If I were a curious thief and walked up to an SUV that had the seats folded down with a cover over all the stuff stored in there I would be very curious what is valuable enough to cover up. My point is that I don't much see the point. confused A thief who is already eyeing your truck isn't going to change his mind after seeing that something that could be valuable is being hidden, IMO.

#51435 - 27/03/04 03:39 PM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Seeing something back there might be more of an incentive for all other thieves.

All my duffle bags I travel with are black, as long as I don't pass the window line, the X will look empty (I also added a second tint for this reason to my rear windows)

#51436 - 27/03/04 09:24 PM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
20-100 Offline

Loc: Quebec, QC, Canada
Maybe you can build something from a roll-up window blind.

Just fix the mounting hardware on both side of the truck (behind the front seats), go to home depot at get a window blind (have it cut at the correct width)... Just stop them from cutting the lower bar (cut it yourself wider than the blind to be able to anchor it in the same groove than the actual cargo cover.

#51437 - 28/03/04 07:26 AM Re: Oversized Cargo Cover?? Please Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am torn on weather covering it is a good or bad idea. Concealment may prevent someone from casually noticing what you have back there as they walk by. On the other hand, if someone takes a good look inside and sees you have something covered up, they will want to know what. If you do cover it. Make sure that the color of the material matches the interior. I think you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Good Luck

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal