shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51453 - 13/07/04 07:38 AM Break Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys, I just replaced the break pads, bought from "AutoZone" and costed like $55, ones with lifetime warranty. After driving like 20 min. every day, I get a horrible noise....and unless I break a little, the noise continues...
Should I change the pads with more expensive ones?
And one more thing: I get a weird noise in the morning, when I start the engine, if it rains the day before, like a belt is not tight enogh.
Please help!!!
Thanks,
Michael

#51454 - 13/07/04 07:48 AM Re: Break Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the sound that goes away after you start breaking, it sounds like dirt is in the hub housing or something related to it. I have the same problem. Pull them, clean it out really good and repack the bearings while your there. It would also be a good time to install Warn Manual Hubs.

#51455 - 13/07/04 07:51 AM Re: Break Pads
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Are you guys BRAKING or BREAKING. If its break time, I'm with you. If you need to slow down, you need to "brake."

Sorry to be the spelling nazi, but this one pisses me off.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#51456 - 13/07/04 07:56 AM Re: Break Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's okay I don't mind the spelling correction but, you should also punctuate properly too.

Quote:
Are you guys BRAKING or BREAKING. If its break time, I'm with you. If you need to slow down, you need to "brake."

Sorry to be the spelling nazi, but this one pisses me off.
If it's break time.
Nazi: Capitalize the N.

#51457 - 13/07/04 01:04 PM Re: Break Pads
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
I REFUSE to show the nazi party any respect (with capitalization or other)!

You're correct, an apostrophe was required and I blew it...

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#51458 - 13/07/04 08:02 PM Re: Break Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Ristea:
Guys, I just replaced the break pads, bought from "AutoZone" and costed like $55, ones with lifetime warranty. After driving like 20 min. every day, I get a horrible noise....and unless I break a little, the noise continues...
Should I change the pads with more expensive ones?
And one more thing: I get a weird noise in the morning, when I start the engine, if it rains the day before, like a belt is not tight enogh.
Please help!!!
Thanks,
Michael
Did you make sure and use the stop-squeak oil they give you with the new pads? If not, just take the pads back off and apply some of that stuff, re-assemble and you should be good to go.

#51459 - 13/07/04 09:06 PM Re: Break Pads
XterraDiver Offline

Loc: Monterey, CA
Did you have the rotors turned? If not, that is possibly the problem. The rotors have grooves in them from the hold pads. The squeek may go away with time as the pads and rotors wear.

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that these rotors can't be removed easily. Is that true anyone? If so, a brake shop is the only way to get them turned.

#51460 - 14/07/04 05:49 AM Re: Break Pads
Anonymous
Unregistered

sounds like your pads just need to wear into your rotors and then the sound will go away. another possibility, you installed them slightly wrong and they're rubbing in a bad way on the rotors.

as for the other noise, it's due to the humidity in the air condensing on the cold belt/pulleys. once they warm up, the sound will go away (like you said). it could be either that the belt is too loose or too tight. give it a pull and see how much play is in it. if you can pull it more than 1/2", then it's too loose. less than 1/2", and it's too tight.

#51461 - 14/07/04 09:30 AM Re: Break Pads
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by XterraDiver:
P.S. I thought I read somewhere that these rotors can't be removed easily. Is that true anyone? If so, a brake shop is the only way to get them turned.
The entire wheel hub has to be removed. See the backyard mechanic section.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal