shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51766 - 28/02/04 10:15 AM orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a search and none answeared my question. My ARB gets in the way of my orig. tow hook. I got the bumper on but it wont allow me to mount my Orig tow hook back on. What am I doing wrong?, and dont say "not useing the search tool" because I did.

#51767 - 28/02/04 10:20 AM Re: orig. tow hook
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
I don't think the origina tow hook will go back on with the arb. What most of us did is get the three hole steel horse hooks and attach them to the frame. What you might be able to do is to get some nuts that fit the original tow hook bolts and use them to mount it to the opposite frame horn. So that the hook will be on the right side rather than the left.

#51768 - 28/02/04 10:39 AM Re: orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know if this would work...or how strong it would be, but I was thinking about doing this soon. Where the ARB is connected, not the really low bolts but the ones about half way up, extend the bolts enough to put tow hooks. Would this work or would there not be enough support?

#51769 - 28/02/04 12:25 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Imacsae where on the frame are you refering to?

#51770 - 28/02/04 01:37 PM Re: orig. tow hook
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Throw the stock tow hook away. They are crap, they hang down too low and they break too easily.

#51771 - 28/02/04 01:43 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Throw the stock tow hook away. They are crap, they hang down too low and they break too easily.
Ok Ian I have thrown it out, smile now what? What brand tow hook should I go with and where should I mount it?

See ya in Moab. The beers and stories should be good!

#51772 - 28/02/04 02:24 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[b]Throw the stock tow hook away. They are crap, they hang down too low and they break too easily.
... What brand tow hook should I go with and where should I mount it?...

[/b]
Here you Go!!!

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#51773 - 28/02/04 02:29 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice but where do I mount it? Will it go in the original location?, my ARB kept the original one from working will this be a differant story? IS there a differant location that you guys are useing?

#51774 - 28/02/04 02:54 PM Re: orig. tow hook
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Yes the ARB will clear this tow hook. Note that you will be using the same holes, on the passenger side the hole is threaded but on the drivers side it is not (holes are in the same spot as passenger side).

For the drivers side, get some grade 8 nuts/bolts (slightly longer bolts than stock) and work the bolt through the frame (using a string to not lose it). There is a slot on the top side of the frame, about 12" toward the middle of the truck. The nuts will go on the outside.

For the passenger side use grade 8 bolts, same length as stock.

Do both sides, even with the ARB on these tow hooks will probably be the first thing to hit on some of the obstacles in Moab.

#51775 - 28/02/04 07:22 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Or just get some shackles for the front shackle mounts?

#51776 - 28/02/04 07:43 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
They are not tow points, they are jack points. Matt's been lucky so far. Eventually one will fail.

#51777 - 28/02/04 07:46 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Ah didn't know that thought they were like calmini's

#51778 - 28/02/04 08:04 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
They are a lot thinner material than Calmini's and not reinforced at all. I've seen him bend one getting tugged. I've seen pictures of them ripped open.

#51779 - 28/02/04 08:14 PM Re: orig. tow hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
They are not tow points, they are jack points. Matt's been lucky so far. Eventually one will fail.
Well, I geuss that answears my next question. Assuming I fail in mounting tow hooks to the front.

#51780 - 28/02/04 09:59 PM Re: orig. tow hook
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
It's a piece of cake mounting the steelhorse hooks, only I would use bailing wire or similar to fish them in on the drivers side. The set I bought came with the bolts and nuts in both standard and metric and they have come in handy since.

btw: I've tweaked the jack points on the ARB just snugging up winch rope I would hate to pull off one...imagine a couple of pounds of steel at the end of a strap or line flying through the air--something like that may not end well.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal