shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51830 - 15/10/05 09:13 AM Have a problem with battery and alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been going off road and driving through some big puddles. My problem is after that the low battery and brake light come on. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to solve it?

I just got a new alternator and battery put in and it still happens. Do i need a skid plate put under engine to protect from water coming from underneath.

#51831 - 15/10/05 10:32 AM Re: Have a problem with battery and alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Skid plate will not protect you from water coming in, it's not water proof, it's rock proof.

You most likely just had some wires get wet. When did it happen? How long has the light been on?

Double check your battery with a multimeter (should put out 12+ volts when trucks is off and 14+ volts when truck is running). If that is as it should be then let it be for a couple of days and the lights should go away.

#51832 - 15/10/05 02:51 PM Re: Have a problem with battery and alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also check the point on contact where the ground cables attach to the frame as that area may be corroded/rusted a bit. Look at the cables themselves for any corrosion also. cool

#51833 - 15/10/05 06:33 PM Re: Have a problem with battery and alternator
Weasel Offline

Loc: San Antonio
Try reseting your computer by unplugging your battery for a good 30 mins. That usually cures strange warning lights for me.

Me: Um, That's Dan Marino...

#51834 - 16/10/05 07:51 AM Re: Have a problem with battery and alternator
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for such quick replies
i will try what you guy's suggested and get back to you.

wondering though if i need bigger battery because i have 4 hella black magic lights on top, when offroading i try not to run them the whole time. But when i go we are out there fro little under an hour

thanks for help again and i'll get back to you guy's

Bios the thing is i just had my local nissan dealership put a brand new battery and alternator on. Couldit rust or corroied in 3 day's?

#51835 - 16/10/05 08:12 AM Re: Have a problem with battery and alternator
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
If you do change your battery, go with, IMHO, an Optima RedTop Battery Gel Cell. One of the best I believe! Get the one which I think for the V6 Xterra comes with a set of dual posts, top and side, so you can always add an auxiliary fuse block set up if you add allot of electrical accessories!

Optima RedTop

Find the right battery for your truck and check out the prices here. Pretty Damn good:

BatteryJackInc

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal