shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51852 - 03/03/04 06:41 AM Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had this Rack for a couple of years now. I believe it was significantly more expensive when I purchased it, though.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17095

It works great at immobilizing bicycles for trips on not-perfect roads. However it requires a lot of cranking to tighten down & release the bikes.

Many people who have seen this rack on my X thought it was OE because it has "XPORT" printed on the sides.

If you need a rack, this is just about the cheapest 4-biker you will find (for a hitch).

#51853 - 03/03/04 07:12 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

so you like the crank plate type that much? i had one for a short period of time and it gave me fits trying to carry my fiance's oversized aluminum tubing and my steel tubing bike at the same time due to the diameter difference.

i was thinking of going with this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cbolarge_photo.cfm?SKU=5138&Store=Bike

any thoughts?

#51854 - 03/03/04 08:23 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks like a sweet deal. Shit, I might have to buy one for that price! Thule charges 200 bucks for a design which is essentially the same.

#51855 - 04/03/04 08:35 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

A quick warning about one post bike racks. They work pretty well with standard male frame bikes (straight cross tubes), but they're awful for women's frames or any other type of frame. I would go with for the fork-like ones.

#51856 - 05/03/04 07:43 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Hawkeye Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs ,CO,USA
I have one by SARIS, it solves the problem of needing the top bar perpindicular to the ground issue. You can rotate the bike holder to fit almost any angle, thus I can carry any combination of conventional and nonconventional frame up to 5 bikes, it also uses the same mounts to carry skiis, thus eliminating the costly add-ons. I think the whole thing cost about $175.00
Now:
'04 Ttan LE CC
"Drink it up, this ones for you, it's been a lovely cruise"-Buffett

#51857 - 05/03/04 01:27 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any decent bike is unisex, anyway. I haven't seen a "womens" bike since the last time I was at Kmart.

For those with full suspension or nonstandard frame styles, they can just use this:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14511

#51858 - 05/03/04 07:43 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I have the one in Cranky's post. It is a 3 bike model. It started out a little long, or should I say far away from the bumper. A little trimming and a redrill and it is up close and snug. The problem is, I just purchased another frame which is totally incompatible. I don't like the idea of adding one of those stem to seatpost crossbars. Anyone local interested for $50. I know wrong forum, I was not selling it but thought if you are local and buying one anyway...

#51859 - 05/03/04 08:46 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was thinking about getting a hitch mount. But is there one where I can still tow my Jet Ski, and carry the bikes?

#51860 - 06/03/04 05:21 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

To do both (hitch)would probably involve some custom work.

There are bike racks which strap to the back door that shouldn't interfere.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17289

Anything you do will definitely have to be tested.

#51861 - 06/03/04 05:56 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been looking into this rack. Seems to be a decent rack. Its a wheel mount.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=BRF

#51862 - 06/03/04 08:38 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Xtracurricular Offline

I like the wheel mounts, especially since they would solve my frame problem. Most, if not all I have seen, do not tilt away to open the tailgate. That could be a pain if you have to take all the bikes off to open the gate. The reason I have stayed away from the roof mount is ease of loading, and to reduce all that wind resistance up there. I may attempt to modify the tilting top-tube mount one I have to be a tilting fork or wheel mount. I figure two trays, a few 1" square bars, and some minor welding and painting should do the trick. Anyone done something like this before?

#51863 - 06/03/04 10:10 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would be a pain if it didn't tilt but this wheel mount does tilt back in order to access the hatch. There is a diagram at the bottom showing it tilting back. It also raises up when bikes are not used.

#51864 - 07/03/04 09:06 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Xtracurricular Offline

Well, what do you know. If I would have only scrolled down. Looks like a quality unit with all of the features I would look for. You could even mount a bike with 20mm thru axles as the wheels stay on...nice

#51865 - 08/03/04 03:02 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check it out I've been looking for a bike rack, that will carry my bike and still allow me to tow my jet-ski, anyway found it, and it's not too expensive! laugh Sweet Bike Rack

#51866 - 16/03/04 07:39 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
CDXX Offline

Loc: Beverly, MA
I have one of Rhodegear's Interstate Hitch Racks. They're big & beefy with lots of adjustability and their aluminum finish matches the X's rack and step rails perfectly. Since I already have 2 Big Mouths up top, I was planning to go with the 3 bike ($230) which of course the bike shops were out of! To my surprise, the four bike was on sale for only $209! This unit was made for the Xterra. It is sweet! Now I can carry all four of our bikes and throw a canoe or 2 kayaks on top as well. Their site is under construction or I'd attach a link.

#51867 - 16/03/04 08:27 AM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody own a Draftmaster?

It looks like the way to go imo

http://www.draftmaster.com/#dm

#51868 - 04/04/04 02:56 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way, I just got my Xport and love it!

#51869 - 04/04/04 03:02 PM Re: Hitch Bike Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Syspila:
By the way, I just got my Xport and love it!
Love mine, too!

laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal