2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 11 of 39 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#519987 - 07/04/04 08:49 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ill buy this once i turn 40 and need a family car because thats what it has become. I would never think of taking this off-roading.

#519988 - 07/04/04 09:37 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
All I can say is I had a blast yesterday. It was very cool seeing the truck in person.

A couple of us pressed one of the Nissan guys about the possiblity of getting a factory locker for at least the rear (pointing out that the Titan has it as part of the towing package) and all we got was "there is still alot that hasn't been decided".

They stressed that the '05 won't be out until MAY of '05, that this was the only drivable '05 X in existance.

I think it bodes well that they have an actual "offroad" model slated for production. It wouldn't suprise me if we saw upgraded skids, a locker and other offroad related goodies offered.

Or a different take on the interior. Don't know if anyone noticed the rear is not carpeted (!!) finally! They were also asking about the rest of the truck - as far as finishing materials. We may get a factory ruggedized X for offroarding (no carpet, water resistant seats, etc.) They seemed genually interested in our feedback and we gave it ("I would love to be able to hose out the interior!") I can't wait to see what they are going to offer with the offroad model. They seemed to get that there are a sizeable number of us that like to take these things offroad. They stressed the larger fenders for larger tires, how there wasn't anything hanging down underneath (indeed, it's very flat underneath - should be easy to skid). As others have pointed out, they seem to have really been listening to everyone's favorite issues over the last 5 years and tried to address them.

As for price, I personally (as well as several others) stressed that one of the key reasons for the X's success was price. We gave examples. I think Nissan understands that price is one of their large selling points and I wouldn't expect too much movement in that area, or as others have pointed out people will simply go elsewhere.

All in all it was a great time. Got some good free stuff, got to see the new X and go to NYC for the first time. Good stuff....

#519989 - 07/04/04 09:38 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

And as for the badges :rolleyes:

They can be removed easily enough. I did give them a little crap about how with every generation they seem to be getting bigger :p

Note the keylocks are now integrated with the handles...

#519990 - 07/04/04 09:41 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
mxmuday Offline

Loc: Battle Creek, MI
I like the new model. Some nice, new features plus I think Nissan did a good job maintaining the unique styling characteristics that make an Xterra stand out visually (hatch bulge, roof drop for the stadium seating, roof rack, etc.) to maintain its identity. I think they did a lot better at this than Toyota did with the 4Runner and it could have always been much, much worse. Think of the poor Chevy Nova fans that saw their beloved muscle car evolve into a pseudo-Yugo. That was pretty funny.

#519991 - 07/04/04 09:50 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did he really just say MAY of '05????!!!!

Is that really going to happen?

#519992 - 07/04/04 09:52 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's still the same truck! I dunno, when I think of the 5 year, all out redesign, I want something that looks new. To me, that just looks like an evolution like the '02 was to the '00/01. I realize the engine, etc, make for a substantial change, but whatever.

Honestly I'm glad it's not that different. I just bought my '00 two weeks ago. Now I don't have to feel so annoyed that the "newer, better looking one" is out. It doesn't look very different to me.

And I also prefer the round headlights.

#519993 - 07/04/04 09:59 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder how many of the items (rear bumper step, lockable basket, etc.) are going to be options!

Also I wonder how long it will take for the basket cover to start rattling.

Not totally impressed except for the engine upgrade.

#519994 - 07/04/04 10:02 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
The electronic transfer case. Well I'd really like to see exactly what they went with.
Again, I'm going to assume it's the same new TX15 unit used in the Titan w/ 5.6:1 low range and which does NOT offer an AWD mode. I'll have to get my head under a Titan today to be sure.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#519995 - 07/04/04 10:07 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you complaining that the new design verges on mediocrity-

Think of it this way: Nissan COULD have gone the other direction with it. They could have tried to create the all-in-one outdoorsy vehicle that monstrocity called Aztec was supposed to be. Instead, they have given you an updated design that follows the rest of the current Nissan line, without losing the X's original heritage. Not only that, but they have improved the platform in just about every aspect of performance. There will always be people who like/dislike any body design, not matter how hard a manufacturer tries. But by improving the platform across the board, Nissan has set itself up for a big success. (As long as the price stays low)

#519996 - 07/04/04 10:22 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nickm:
Did he really just say MAY of '05????!!!
They were quite emphatic that this was a PRE production unit, and that alot was still up in the air. The '05 X is still a ways off.

I still want one smile

As for the rear locker, this (combined with the smirk and a "there is still more to come" from the Nissan guys) is heartening:

From this page under Drive Configuration Available advanced off-road traction capabilities.

Talk about vauge but in a potentially good way laugh

EDIT: Oh, to address another concern, the stadium seating is still there. I think the bump in the roof is reduced because the front of the truck got raised - they cited all around headroom improvements, and said that the back seats have gained 3" of space - that's quite a bit! Also, the new roof rack is much more integrated than before and that could be contributing to a bit of an optical illusion.

#519997 - 07/04/04 10:26 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Yeah, they also touted the double deck glove compartment - seams they really listend when we complained of lack of storage (the storage in the back sounds like it is going to be at least 7" deep - no more rubbermaid contairs full of tools!)

#519998 - 07/04/04 10:26 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
OffroadX Offline

I don't recall May 05 being mentioned, just early 05. May is really far too late to introduce a vehicle as a 2005.

The bumper step won't be an option, if it makes it to production it will be on all of 'em.

Prices should start in the low 20's, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go a bit over $30K for a fully-equipped model. Remember, there's no engine choice available to let you really bargain-basement the spec, cheapest you can get is a bare-bones 4x2, but it will still have the 250+ hp 4.0 V6 and a 6-speed manual, so you're getting a lot for the money. Add in optional crap like the VDC/traction-control, sunroof, leather, etc. and even today you can MSRP a 2004 SE/SC at $31K.
I'd say a decently-equipped 4x4 manual will probably come in around $24-26K.
Also consider that a price increase is certainly justifiable considering that there are so many improvements, most we've all been wanting to see: Engine/transmission of course, rear discs, no more t-bars, the old failure-prone steering is gone (is R&P better, we'll see), significant interior storage, 60/40 split rear seat that doesn't require the cushions to be removed to fold, center shoulder belt in back, more room for larger tires, no more snag-prone rear spring perches, no more lame parking brake etc. Sure there are a couple of steps back with the electronic t-case and the lack of selectable 4x4 hubs, but the former is just fine and the latter, while knocking the mileage down a tad, is still OK.

Just remember the prices being discussed are PURE SPECULATION and nobody knows what the base or ceiling will be and Nissan didn't offer any ranges at the preview either.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#519999 - 07/04/04 10:30 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I don't recall May 05 being mentioned, just early 05. May is really far too late to introduce a vehicle as a 2005.
OK, then it's definitly March. He threw out the projected release date, and I didn't write it down (D'oh!) but it started with an M. He stressed a couple of times that it was going to be a late release. He also commented that several in the company thought they (the Xterra marketing guys) were insane for showing the new X this "early" in the game.

I think they are going to have another hot seller on their hands - as you said, there is alot to like about this new truck.

#520000 - 07/04/04 10:34 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Factory clutch bypass for the manual transmission.

See http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/nissan2005/xterra/colour/14_2005_xterra.jpg

Lower left. If it stays smile

EDITED Again: D'oh - it is an oil pressure guage - need to get glasses.

#520001 - 07/04/04 10:36 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by INXS:
THEORY ON NEW X SALES:

Here is my theory and I would be curious to your reaction:

X owners are very loyal and love their vehicles, and are not as likely to trade in for a new model.........................

Thus, new vehicle sales are dependent on continually recruiting new owners--moreso than other vehicle types...

Just my observation.
While attracting new owners to a particular brand is essential to an automakers success, brand loyalty is an absolute priority. Just as you continued to replace your Camry three times, Nissan would like to see their customer base "graduate" from a Sentra to an Altima to a Maxima to an Armada. Or in this case from their entry level SUV , the X , to a Pathfinder to an Armada or Titan. That is the nature of the business.

If you build it, they will come.

Just ask any Chevy or Ford guy about brand loyalty. Ask any Toyota owner what is the most reliable car on the road or an Accord owner about to trade it in on an Acura how many Hondas they have owned since their first Civic couple.

The X was marketed as an entry level SUV. It got a number of people who hadn't previously considered one into an SUV and was a first new vehicle or first truck for many of the owners. Don't let the overwhelming enthusiasm of the people on this board for their vehicles fool you.

The people here, the enthusiast, represent just a portion of the actual X owners. There are a lot of people out there that drive their vehicle for the 4-5 year term of their loan and then trade it in and start over. The 1st generation of the X is just coming up on being 5 years old now. You are going to see a lot more of them being paid off as they start hitting that 100mile+ mark on the odometer.

A 100 thousand mile truck is a 100 thousand mile truck. Like it or not, things start going wrong as you start getting up in miles. So people are either going to keep their 1st gen. X as a weekend vehicle or a play toy or they are going to sell them and buy something else before they have to start paying for major repairs.

The enthusiast that is truly attatched to his vehicle might just drive it into the ground and replace the engine. We might start seeing the off-roaders among us shed the X of it's interior trim as they start installing roll cages and fuel cells.

But for the most part, people will sell them or trade them in and get something else. Some may have added members of the family and a nicer income since their X purchase and might be stepping up to the Armada or choose that since they are a little older now they would prefer the luxury features of a Pathfinder or it's Infinity sibling.

But regardless, there will be a great number of people that find themselves drawn to a unique vehicle with an interesting roofline and a bulge on the rear hatch and feel a wonderfull femiliarity. They will get behind the wheel and it will feel comfortable, like home. Then they will take that test drive and it will seem solid and firm, crisp yet powerfull. And they will fall in love all over again.

Oh yes. Nissan built it and they will come. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by munckee:
It's still the same truck! I dunno, when I think of the 5 year, all out redesign, I want something that looks new. To me, that just looks like an evolution like the '02 was to the '00/01. I realize the engine, etc, make for a substantial change, but whatever......

It doesn't look very different to me.

Think Porche 911. Think Corvette. Think Miata. In the world of cars they are all very distinct vehicles with a huge enthusiast following. The key for manufacturers is to preserve the characteristics that make the vehicle unique to the marketplace while updating the technology, performance and design.

This X is a complete redesign. It's on a new, more rigid platform, new transmission, transfer case and engine. They did all this while preserving the look that makes the X unique. The roofline, the rear end, and the features that distinctly identifiy the X are still there while having the platform, engine and the driveline that we'd all covet.

All this while still looking like an Xterra on the outside.

#520002 - 07/04/04 11:00 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
I'm curious on what Brent said about the central shoulder harness seatbelt for the rear. I wonder how this would mount and how would you get it out of the way when lowering the seats. Any idea of when we might see pics of the interior other than the dashboard.

#520003 - 07/04/04 11:06 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
I'm curious on what Brent said about the central shoulder harness seatbelt for the rear. I wonder how this would mount and how would you get it out of the way when lowering the seats. Any idea of when we might see pics of the interior other than the dashboard.
Probably built into the seat...Look at the new Expeditions for an example.

#520004 - 07/04/04 11:35 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA

Another photoshop job (slightly better this time) ... moved the rear badges a little and fixed the front end.

If THIS was the end result, I'd trade mine in in a heartbeat.

ON ANOTHER 2WD. OOH YEAH EAT THAT (not really)

edit - Notice also that I kept the headlights square. It's not the shape that really makes the 02-04 look better, it's the framing. Looks less 1980's Toyota-ish. The new Nissan front-end looks too much like it was designed by Ford.

#520005 - 07/04/04 11:41 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just talked to two local Nissan dealerships (VERY large, high volume dealers) and they both said they expect their first shipments in September. Hopefully they're not giving me car dealer run-around.

#520006 - 07/04/04 11:44 AM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
I love the 2005 X.

I love the way they updated the X, and yet kept the classic Xterra look so that my Xterra doesnt look obsolete.

I love the 2005 X.

#520007 - 07/04/04 12:31 PM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
DocNo Offline

Quote:
I just talked to two local Nissan dealerships (VERY large, high volume dealers) and they both said they expect their first shipments in September. Hopefully they're not giving me car dealer run-around.
I think you are getting the car dealer run around (trying to preserve '04 sales - can't blame them).

They were emphatic on a late launch. Only one drivable '05 X exists right now (and it's in NYC!)

March or May - I don't remember exactly. May sticks in my mind, Brent thinks that is too late - I would agree but they were emphatic on a late launch.

Don't care - I still am really jazzed about it. I waited a year for my first one - if I decided to trade up I can wait a year again smile

EDIT: In looking over the materials I got yesterday, the Xterra is labled as "Xterra Show vehicle (On sale early 2005)" so that would fit more with the March timeframe.

#520008 - 07/04/04 12:33 PM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
CCX Offline

Loc: California

If someone comes out with a replacement front bumper like the one shown here in this Photoshop hack job (it's a ARB Safari), they offer the e-locker and solar yellow, I could be interested in one in a year or two. cool

#520009 - 07/04/04 01:20 PM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterraroy:
[b]i see a jeep liberty in my future.
They're pretty [Rainbow] looking, though.[/b]
Seems like people at heep have some plans...

Quote:
- The refreshed Jeep Liberty will more clearly differentiate the Liberty from the Renegade, which so far only is seen in the addition of a light bar on top of the current Renegade. The 2005 Renegade will have large fender flares, skid plates, a heavier duty luggage rack and light bar, headlight and taillight covers, as well as a slightly different front end than the standard Liberty.

source

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#520010 - 07/04/04 01:32 PM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
OffroadX Offline

As usual the dealers don't know jack. March or May, it's not til sometime in 05, we heard it fromm the head of Nissan's truck/SUV division himself for crying out loud...

Seatbelt may be integrated into the seat, or may be like I've seen elsewhere and the reel will be mounted to the roof (a-la the CR-V).

Brent

#520011 - 07/04/04 01:39 PM Re: Where are the 05 pics?!
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
Probably not jacking you around, I talked to a buddy at Peoria Nissan here in AZ and they said between Sept and December. Pretty hard to tell when Nissan tells them "Fall 04". My guess is they're "assuming" September is when the first ones will roll out.

My opinion of the '05 (since everyone is giving their's) is where do I sign up for one? I like it very much, except for the location of the rear badge, and will more than likely trade my 2000 in for the 240 ponies. The lack of power along with the mileage have been my only complaints of the Xterra so with the engine change I'm thinking of moving up to the '05 probably mid year when the prices drop a little from the new release. I'm expecting the new ones to run 30K plus, I doubt that it will continue to be a realitively cheap SUV but only time will tell on that aspect of the vehicle.

Page 11 of 39 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 38 39 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal