2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52078 - 23/06/05 08:57 PM Suspension Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi ive got a stock xterra as far as offroad capability goes and want to know how much an inch bigger tire will help me in offroading and whether i can get away with being stock height in moderate offroad conditions. The reason for this is i am 16 and my dad wont let me lift it. "It looks bad and it will roll too easily." both false statements. thanks.

#52079 - 24/06/05 06:49 AM Re: Suspension Lift
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Zack:
Hi ive got a stock xterra as far as offroad capability goes and want to know how much an inch bigger tire will help me in offroading and whether i can get away with being stock height in moderate offroad conditions. The reason for this is i am 16 and my dad wont let me lift it. "It looks bad and it will roll too easily." both false statements. thanks.
I went up a size on the tire from 265/65-17 to 265/70-17 (roughly an additional inch diameter). I also went to a more agressive tread pattern - from the BFG Rugged Trail to the BFG KO. The extra inch and more agressive tread made a big difference in offroading. Trimming was not really necessary. Other than the tires, I am stock in height and have do well in reasonable conditions. (However, the more extreme the trail, the more modifications will be needed).

k_enn

#52080 - 25/06/05 12:24 PM Re: Suspension Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks man

#52081 - 25/06/05 12:56 PM Re: Suspension Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

figure for every inch increase in diameter you will get aprox. an extra 1/2 inch in highth.

The X is quite capable in stock form, ive seen people do/go alot of places with a stock X. Alot of it is skill, and the way I have built my rig, is it grows as my skill grows.

So take your time learn your vehicle and as you break things, and you will replace with better parts.

The important thing is TREAD Lightly and always with a buddy preferably some one experienced, and have fun.

By the way my boys are 9, 7 and 5 months and with the exception of the younger they are already fighting over who is going to get it, the love helping me with it, get your Dad out with you. smile

#52082 - 26/06/05 11:39 AM Re: Suspension Lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Don't be so quick to dismiss Dad.

The appearance is of course subjective...but, a lifted truck IS more likely to roll.

Not ALOT more for a 3" lift, but more.

The higher your center of gravity...the slower you have to go around corners, etc....its just physics....not your dad's mistake.

laugh

If you are a new driver (16)...learning to pick your line is more important than getting tall.

The taller you are, the more likely you are to get into trouble if you haven't learned how to pick lines.

Lines are the way through the terrain that keep your tires on the ground where they can push you/hold you up, and not get truck parts cought on obstructions, or get you perpendicular to the slope, etc.

If you make a mistake, you can roll over/fall off a cliff, etc. (Bad things)

If you make your mistakes while short...you are more likley to be able to recover/survive...kind of like learning to tight rope walk a few feet up before hitting the big top circuit....

Your dad will be watchinng you like a hawk....if you bang up the truck...it won't instill confidence....get good at it first...THEN upgrade components as needed.

Add armor (Plates, sliders...) before height - you will NEVER be tall enough to clear everything...you will need to slide over the larger obstacles anyway.

Reinforce weak links, like steering, etc...

in short...make the truck as bullet proof as you can so you come home unscathed, and instill some confidence that you are a mature, careful, driver.

laugh

When you get to the point where a lift is a potential reality...do it in stages...get parts that work for 1.5" as well as for 3", so nothing is wasted, and you (And your dad...) get used to it before going up again.

laugh

A t-bar crank and shackles is about $50, and is HALF (1.5") of the 3" lift.

The fatter tires help more than the taller tires...and you can do up to about 12.5" section width to 11.5" of section width depending upon your turning radius needs.

If you can trim the plastic around where the mud flaps mount a bit (an inch or so...)...you can get much larger tires under there.

Good Luck!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#52083 - 27/06/05 11:52 AM Re: Suspension Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks alot TJ. That helped alot.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal