shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52120 - 04/01/06 09:47 PM Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can I instal a tow hook to the back of my x. Anyone done it, pics, also where to get one?
Thanks

#52121 - 05/01/06 09:34 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

There realy isn't a rear recovery point on the X. What most have done is to install a tow hitch and use a D-ring hitch adapter.

#52122 - 05/01/06 09:44 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put a 10,000 lb tow hook on each side in the rear a little while ago....they are kinda useless right now as I don't have my BL put on yet, but they will be great after it goes on.....the bumper is in the way without the BL though.....there are two holes on the frames rails in the back that you can use.....I just drilled a new hole to match up with the tow hook holes.....

#52123 - 05/01/06 09:53 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

The easiest way is to install a tow package with a 10,000# pigtail like me:

Others have suggested the D-ring type, but that's not practical for me. With all the dumbasses that get stuck with road tires around here, it's just a pain to mess with that D-Ring all the time.

#52124 - 05/01/06 01:36 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

#52125 - 05/01/06 03:17 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

fpmdl3,

Joe over at the MXO helped me out with getting one of those.

I have a hook installed at the tiedown points on the frame rail just behind the bumper on the opposite side of the muffler.

There are already 2 holes in the frame. Hoppy, as I see, did the same thing but I used a drop down bracket. The bracket is pretty much a piece of thick steel with matching holes, it's about an inch thick. Drill a third hole in the frame, add the bracket and attach the hook.

P.M. Pinoy on the MXO for more details, and he'll give you great advice.

#52126 - 05/01/06 03:47 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

jeff what do you do if u get stuck, what process do you use to get yourself unstuck and how do people attach straps to the back of you?

thanks

#52127 - 05/01/06 04:02 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gprsh924:
jeff what do you do if u get stuck, what process do you use to get yourself unstuck and how do people attach straps to the back of you?

thanks
Well, the hook is right there in the back.

#52128 - 05/01/06 04:26 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah it looks like you would just latch on a toe rope, where did you get the hook show in your pic JeffW?

#52129 - 05/01/06 05:08 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Truck accessory stores, fleet supply stores, and ag supply stores should have the hooks; if nothing else check ebay. Alternatively you could get a recovery bumper. I should get mine finished this weekend I just need to put plate lights on it. smile

You might be able to bolt something on where the hitch is (or would be) bolted to the frame. I wouldn't pull much from there without the frame stiffeners though, it isn't really built to take a lot of abuse.

#52130 - 05/01/06 05:26 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike704:
yeah it looks like you would just latch on a toe rope, where did you get the hook show in your pic JeffW?
I got it on ebay for ten or fifteen bucks.

Looks like they have 'em from $7 to $35.

ebay

So for $7 plus $10.40 shipping, you can get a 10,000# tow hook.

#52131 - 05/01/06 05:52 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you everyone for the response. It seems like it will work out for me. I asked this question because 2 days ago I had to pull out my friend who has a 1982 jeep. I had to go throuth thick mud and a few hills here and there, to get him out. I also had my friends tacoma help me pull to. He was pulling me and I was pulling the jeep.
Anyways, it would of been easier if I had a better toe hook in the back, rather than tieing the rope to the hithc. But it worked.
I will try put up a pic of my car. Maybe mike704 can help me. He lives by me.

Sorry for long post.

#52132 - 05/01/06 06:41 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

so i assume then that the toe hook that attatches to the hitch used the big bolt with the pin to secure it? Thanks

#52133 - 05/01/06 08:14 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok now i see i did not see the hook at first but now i understand how that works, thanks

#52134 - 11/01/06 06:06 PM Re: Toe Hook
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Been using this for over 5 years with no problems at all:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1288897

Bonus, it can be used on any other 01-04 Xterra that might otherwise not have a rear tow point on it.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#52135 - 12/01/06 05:56 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never liked the idea of pulling from the shackle mount. If I break a tow hook it just means that I am still stuck but still have the possability to be recovered. If I break a shackle mount, unless I carry a welder, I'll be stuck on the trail with a very interesting problem. smile

#52136 - 12/01/06 07:41 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
I never liked the idea of pulling from the shackle mount. If I break a tow hook it just means that I am still stuck but still have the possability to be recovered. If I break a shackle mount, unless I carry a welder, I'll be stuck on the trail with a very interesting problem. smile
Twice I have seen someone winched using the shackle as the attachment point and the shackle was pulled right off the frame.

It does make for an interesting trail repair.

#52137 - 12/01/06 11:12 AM Re: Toe Hook
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Winching from the shackle itself is stupid. The portion that is taking the load in my setup is welded to the frame and has taken plenty of hard yanks. I'm comfortable with it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#52138 - 12/01/06 12:31 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

JeffW - or anybody else that wants to chime in - have you ever had any problems with your strap comming off of the receiver mounted hook?

I am trying to figure out why I should or shouldn't spend $40-50 on a receiver mounted shackle when 4 wheel parts is selling a receiver mounted hook, strap, regular shackle and bag for $59.

So is there a huge advantage to using a shackle instead of a hook? It seems to me that the majority of the time, the answer would be no.

Opinions?

#52139 - 12/01/06 01:17 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

you don't really need to have anything back there, in the tow hitch... The handy-dandy yuppie special (d-ring or hook) looks nice, but it's really a waste of $$.

I mean, if you have it sitting around, then by all means, feel free. But you can have the same effect by just fishing the strap into the hitch & securing it w/ a hitch pin. Only reason you would HAVE to have the suburbanite special, is if you're using a 3" or larger recovery strap, as those are pretty hard to fit into a receiver. The 2" is perfect, though, and honestly, is already more than enough for our size vehicle anyways.

#52140 - 12/01/06 01:50 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use 2 straps and one is 2" and the other is 3".Yes you can fit a 2" strap in tot hte receiver but wouldn't be easier if you just hooked it over something rather than trying to sneak the strap in there? Especially when your attachment point is under water or filled with mud.

#52141 - 12/01/06 02:16 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the part number of the bag and kit from 4wheel parts?

#52142 - 12/01/06 02:18 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

#52143 - 12/01/06 04:37 PM Re: Toe Hook
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I believe the side loads on a hitch pin by a strap, as the strap would tend to concentrate the force at the middle of the pin as it tightened, could bend/break the hitch pin...and the solid receiver mount distributes the load across the entire exposed pin section.

I agree that the d-shackle sticking out in back there is a departure angle nightmare (But apparently a good bumper lance...) wink ...and if I had my druthers, a simple frame mounted hook is fine.

I have D-shackles laying around my garage, so popping one in is the easy way out for a tow point in back...But I can't say I'm pleased with it, other than that it works great for recovery.

laugh

At least the new rear bumper carrier (I'll get soon) has tow points built into it.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#52144 - 13/01/06 06:02 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I believe the side loads on a hitch pin by a strap, as the strap would tend to concentrate the force at the middle of the pin as it tightened, could bend/break the hitch pin...and the solid receiver mount distributes the load across the entire exposed pin section.
Guess you haven't seen a strap lately... The loop end is several inches thick/broad. It's a 2" receiver hole. Put it in, and it fills the whole thing. The loop ends never flatten out, hence the loading is along the entire shaft of the pin.

You would've had a good point, if you said the receiver shackle puts the pin in double shear, so the pin has twice the strength as with the strap... But you didn't. So you're still wrong. [Finger]

Either way, it doesn't matter. The pin is stronger than the hitch it's attached to. That's intentional... Can't afford to have trailers falling out because the hitch pin wasn't strong enough.

#52145 - 13/01/06 06:59 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by B.:
JeffW - or anybody else that wants to chime in - have you ever had any problems with your strap comming off of the receiver mounted hook?...
Never

It works great for any kind of strap or chain. With all the cold weather around here, it sure beats monkeying with that D-ring!!

Sometimes it's nice to have one in front, too:

get good tires and don't end up like ^these^ guys!!

#52146 - 14/01/06 10:47 AM Re: Toe Hook
TJ Offline

Porche -

I was trying to be brief, but that's what I was referring to...and, I've seen pins bend that way....a fabric loop, regardless of its thickness, tends to concentrate the load on the center of the pin.

We have a ASTM test rig in the shop, and we do failure analysis on structural loads, etc...and the pins can hold fine if within the insert, but can fail when merely strapped directly.

Yes- they can take a good deal of load w/o failing, but, they are NOT as strong as the hitch...as in they break/bend BEFORE the hitch is damaged...every time.

I think the saving grace for the technique is that the vast majority of pulls are much lower loads than the winches or trucks are capable of, so you could theoretically use the technique your entire life, and never have a problem...or have it break the first time, all depending upon the exact circumstances.

I think a hook is the most convenient to throw a loop over, and that the D-shackle is the least convenient...as it requires you to unbolt it every time....which takes about 5 seconds, vs 0 sec to throw over the loop. (Yes, I keep the threads lubed...)

On longer pulls, the loop can pop off of the hook, it never comes off of the D of course....and for hairy winching on precipices, etc...I don't trust hooks to not get knocked off a winch hook...I like to get the winch hook locked onto a D-shackle if possible when the terrain/situ is gnarly and the truck's are bouncing around as they're dragged along.

laugh

I keep hitting my leg on the stupid hitch thing, and cars behind me tend to get hooks more easily embedded, so the D-Shackle is a bit less dangerous, and for me, an acceptable compromise.

For most wheeling though, a hook is much easier to work with, and a hitch pin is the same convenience as a D-Shackle, but more prone to failure.

If the hitch pins were 7/8" or 1" diameter like my D-Shackle bolts, that would be different, but they are way skinnier than that.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#52147 - 15/01/06 08:25 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Agreed.

But regardless of folks feel about Brent's method, that looks like a handy item to have around. I've pulled people out several times who didn't have proper recovery points. Risky and scary, but what else can they do if they're stuck?

I think I'll pick one up.

#52148 - 15/01/06 08:41 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that solution is cheaper than this but I thought I'd mention this for comparative purposes.
A universal frame hook set with R, J, and T hooks

here:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/recoverygear/ scroll down to Mac's Custom Tie-Downs Transit Cluster (TC-1) $20

or here:
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=351&DEPARTMENT_ID=65

called Cluster Hook RTJ at 14.95

for professional frame attachment in the industry price seems reasonable. looks more versatile than the large D-ring. Just my .02

#52149 - 15/01/06 08:43 AM Re: Toe Hook
TJ Offline

The other thing that comes in handy to recover those recovery point challenged is a tree strap or tow strap...you can wrap it around a sturdy part, and pull on that....which also allows you to balance the load point across a larger area.

The downside was, for me, I have had a few straps fray in the past when I didn't think about where the strap would rub under tension on the way out, etc...effectively ruining the straps...Over the years, I got better at it.

laugh

#52150 - 15/01/06 08:49 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry those but don't think that I want to sacrifice straps for other people while I come up on my learning curve. The hooks mount to specific vehicles and I would rather have it rip out of an approved frame attach point due to corrosion, weak parts, etc... than to ruin straps or break other parts when the strap tensions that I had not forseen.

#52151 - 15/01/06 10:03 AM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

Toe straps work great for me. As I mentioned earlier I pulled my friend out of trouble. He has a 1982 jeep wrangler. Light but, it was very muddy and hilly were I had to pull him through.
Worked for me.

#52152 - 15/01/06 12:02 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

frank it is TOW not toe

#52153 - 15/01/06 12:37 PM Re: Toe Hook
Anonymous
Unregistered

you know what gprsh924
suck it

oooh yeah, nice mods
and Texas won the national championship