shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524291 - 04/03/05 01:39 PM 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Did anyone do any comparison shopping on these vehicles? They seem fairly closely matched in specs.

#524292 - 04/03/05 02:45 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought the Liberty was in a different size/weight class than the Xterra?? I always assumed the Liberty would be more competing with a Ford Escape, whereas the Xterra was more towards the Ford Explorer (old style, not the newer [more] bloated Explorer)??

Maybe not, but I don't think the Liberty is anywhere near the Xterra's class. It's just a touch too small for that. And besides, it's only got a 3500 lb towing capacity, and a very weak 6 cyl. engine.

#524293 - 04/03/05 02:45 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually like Jeeps, and I've owned a Jeep Cherokee which I very well might still be driving if it hadn't been stolen. I never had problems with it, and felt confident when driving it. That being said, I did not look very hard at the Liberty this time around for a few reasons. Firstly, I prefer the boxy-Jeep look, and have never taken to the look of the Liberty. Secondly I need semi-decent cargo space and the Liberty has about as much as a high school locker.

I think a better comparison would be an '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, although even this lower end JGC will sit at the top price range of the Xterra.

#524294 - 04/03/05 03:00 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plus to me, the X has a much better floor layout. More leg & cargo room, a little higher ceiling etc. etc.

The numbers on paper is one thing, but seeing them in person is another story all together.

#524295 - 04/03/05 03:24 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
For what its worth, yesterday I stopped into the dealership and guess what they were doing... a side by side comparison of an 05 X SE vs. 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I didn't get in the middle of it nor have any major comments against the Liberty but they were quick to note that the Liberty's fuel tank is in the rear and is dangerous when rearended. Also, it requires the Renegade to get a skid on that thing too.

I personally would never own a Jeeps. I have been on many trails in Moab, there is always a broken Jeep. They do not score well in that department...

I love Japanese! I love Nissan and its unique styling, whether up against a Toyota or Jeep. The X has become a part of me and I would not even want to consider another SUV... biased? Nah... lol.

The Liberty has quite the cute feel to it... just not for me.

#524296 - 04/03/05 03:38 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
fastdrmr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
I thought the Liberty was in a different size/weight class than the Xterra?? I always assumed the Liberty would be more competing with a Ford Escape, whereas the Xterra was more towards the Ford Explorer (old style, not the newer [more] bloated Explorer)??

Maybe not, but I don't think the Liberty is anywhere near the Xterra's class. It's just a touch too small for that. And besides, it's only got a 3500 lb towing capacity, and a very weak 6 cyl. engine.
I believe the 1st Gen X was in the same class as the Rav4, Escape and CRV. I will try to find something to back that up. It sounds funny, but that's what it has been.

Editted to add link: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2906&src=Sport%20Utilities

The new 05 is now being compared (at the dealership, on their info boards on the showroom floors) to the 4Runner, Liberty and other larger SUVs.

#524297 - 04/03/05 03:58 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

not to knock the xterra or anything but the jeep liberty is much cheaper than the xterra similarily equipt. Not only that but you can still have a few extra options and still not meet the price of the xterra SE. also jeep has a 2000 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months, hard to beat incentives while nissan has NO incentives on the 2005 xterra YET.

btw the towing capacity on the jeep liberty is 5,000 lbs, NOT 3,000. exact same as the xterra.

granted the jeep is much smaller cargo capacity than the xterra and only a 210hp v6, then again it doesnt weigh as much as the xterra either. jeep is fairly good offroad but not to the caliber the xterra is at.

all in all both are great vehicles, i know its a pro-xterra forum, i just don't want to sound bias calling xterra a totally superior vehicle when its not. Both vehicles has their plus's and both have their negatives. Its just gotta be your preference when it comes to choosing the right vehicle for yourself.

#524298 - 04/03/05 04:04 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did ask this on the Jeep forums I read, and even with the bias, they did have to admit the Xterra was a nice choice too smile

#524299 - 04/03/05 04:05 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh man, definitely the Xterra.

Dont even get me started on how much I hate uni-bodies! Yeah the liberty has 4wd, and its jeep, but its still a unibody and I personally would never get one. Not as durable and they cant isolate road noise worth crap compared to the truck frames.

Im obviously very biased towards truck frames though... cool

#524300 - 04/03/05 04:08 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know much about unibody vs. truck, but I would tend to agree with you. Of course Jeep says this "Jeep-engineered UniFrame construction—which combines Liberty's body and frame into a single, solid, durable unit—is stiffer and lighter than the body-on-frame construction used by truck-based competitors. It also contributes to safety and long-term dependability."

#524301 - 04/03/05 04:21 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigCanoe:
I dont know much about unibody vs. truck, but I would tend to agree with you. Of course Jeep says this "Jeep-engineered UniFrame construction—which combines Liberty's body and frame into a single, solid, durable unit—is stiffer and lighter than the body-on-frame construction used by truck-based competitors. It also contributes to safety and long-term dependability."
it might be torsionally stiffer, but realize that the entire drivetrain is attached to the body that you sit in! This means that if the suspension cant absorb something, the entire car takes the impact. It also means that the suspension is basically anchored to reinforced sheet metal rather than a steel frame.

On a truck frame, there is an entirely separate reinforced steel section that holds the suspension components. That frame is mounted to the cab through rubber mounts which take out a lot of road noise and smooth out smaller bumps. Not only is the suspension much stronger, but your ride is also better.

#524302 - 04/03/05 04:35 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's funny that your dealer had the Liberty as a competitor to the X. My salesguy had a Nissan-published booklet on his desk which he'd been readin which compared the X to the '05 Grand Cherokee...which is a better comparison imo.

#524303 - 04/03/05 08:24 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ruled out the Liberty as soon as my ex-wife bought one last year. Thank god she didn't get an Xterra. wink

#524304 - 04/03/05 09:07 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I owned a Liberty and rolled it, I consider myself very lucky that I am still here.

Anyways I had a pre-lowered Liberty SE and I took it Offroad allot and for being how small it was, it pulled out allot of larger domestic SUV mostly Chevy's wink . I liked taking it offroad but I did have a complaint it bashed it's skidplate the crunching sound was not good it made me cringe many times this is the result of just 8" ground clearence.

But the Liberty is very small and I had so many warranty issues I will NEVER BUY DOMESTIC AGAIN!!
Yes they are covered under warranty but after awhile when the jeep is in the shop every other week just takes to much time.
Now I'm not an X owner yet but I just came back from a test drive and now I'm set on buying one.
I do own a Pathy and no real warranty issues.
Good Luck in your decision but you were warned fron a previous Jeep Liberty owner.

#524305 - 04/03/05 10:36 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by keg:
[QB]not to knock the xterra or anything but the jeep liberty is much cheaper than the xterra similarily equipt. Not only that but you can still have a few extra options and still not meet the price of the xterra SE. also jeep has a 2000 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months, hard to beat incentives while nissan has NO incentives on the 2005 xterra YET.

QB]
Actually the way you quoted and upper-cased it, it is a knock.
Generally you will never, ever find incentives from Toyota, Honda, and for the most part Nissan.
American brands need anything to get someone to come in and even look at their cars.
The Jeep is nice for it's class, but the Xterra has really taken over the mid-size off-road arena.

Plus they should have kept the name of Cherokee.
Stupid american car manufacturers really need to keep the lineage for their good cars, not just rename something if it sucks just so people forget it.

#524306 - 05/03/05 09:36 AM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

sure i uppercased it to get a point across, nissan needs to get people to look at their cars. Im sure some incentives on the new cars would draw buyers in, simple marketing strategy. I guarentee you will see more jeeps on the road than xterras,pathfinders,armadas and theres a reason behind that, jeep is a well established name and brand. you gotta remember, nissan was in serious financial trouble not too long ago, they are just now bouncing back. The kind of cars i see coming from nissan are great, and they will continue to eat up market share from other brands. knocking the xterra? probably not, im just stating fact.

#524307 - 05/03/05 03:01 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
fastdrmr Offline

Incentives are bad bad bad (typed 3 times for emphasis). They are a blatant hint that their vehicles need help to sell and ruin the TMV of vehicles on the road. When incentives come out people that own the vehicle suffer and if you haven't noticed the market is flooded with used cars for sale.

6 months ago I was helping a friend find an SUV. He got a 4Runner, but that's beside the point, so is $$$. He checked out the Durango Hemi for $40K and was surprised to receive a lease quote for 1 year for a total of $18K. This means the vehicle would depreciate that much over the 1 year; yes that's expected but not to that extent!!! Funny part, we told them no thanks and they came back and offered an immediate $9K discount... For those that own a Dodge Hemi... this is bad news.

I hope that the Japanese car manufacturers hold their prices as long as possible. Toyota and Honda do this well, Nissan follows closely behind.

#524308 - 05/03/05 08:22 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

ATTENTION!!!!!

I just talked to 2 people today that have bought Liberties for their wives. BOTH I repeat BOTH have had head gasket problems by the first and thrird oil change. Antifreeze crossing over!!! Can you say rust problem later on, hmmmmm.

So I called a Jeep dealer about out of curiosity and they admitted that the liberty has has a problem with the head gaskets and they are working on it.

Also just so you dont think I am biased both of these guys I wheel with have Jeeps (WJ & TJ). They both love their Jeeps. But they already hate the liberties.

#524309 - 05/03/05 09:24 PM Re: 05 Liberty vs. 05 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI guys yesterday I saw my mother in Law jeep Liverty full equiped , ovbiously she is a Chrisler fan , for what its my concern I will never change My xterra 02 for an 05 liberty its just not there. You guys have to understand that Nissan is in totally another level than any american car personally I prefer nissan or toyota they are just strong sturdy vehicles
less problems less mechanics please get an Xterra

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal