2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524448 - 30/04/07 01:40 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't know what relationship you have with the dealer...
Word is, so far, like most all others, Nissan has told 'em to yank the whole thing and replace it. They'll prolly not even look inside.. But, my friends there will forward me any and all pics they have before it goes away.

#524449 - 30/04/07 01:59 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just noticed your signature..If parts aint flyin', you aint tryin'..

Not tryin hard AT ALL [Huh?]

#524450 - 30/04/07 02:14 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got a call from dealer. They're replacing the diff and both axles by this wednesday, all under warranty.

#524451 - 30/04/07 07:17 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious, what lift and tires do you have on it?

#524452 - 30/04/07 07:27 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Other than the sliders, right now it's a bone stock '07 OR AT.

#524453 - 30/04/07 07:54 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahhh....ok...I was just wondering if they were not questioning mods...but I guess they don't have to.

#524454 - 01/05/07 03:49 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats good that you get it back soon DBAX, otherwise that would suck if you couldn't make it to GONE.

#524455 - 01/05/07 04:07 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL, We're expecting our baby boy anytime (day/hour) now, so GONE is out of the question this year for us. Too bad really, there're a few people I was looking forward to meeting this year who've never been, and some old friends from here who I'd just like to wheel with. More than likely though, we're gonna' truck up to Ouray in August (he'll be a few months old of course, perfect for a road trip) for some Rocky Mountain High time.. Get that snorkle on, leave now, and we'll see you there. wink

#524456 - 01/05/07 04:38 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im working on it. Been visiting this site alot lately. laugh

Congrats to you and the Mrs DBAX.

#524457 - 02/05/07 05:21 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back in the saddle [ThumbsUp] Brought it in monday morning (4-30), got a call today (5-02) at 1:00 saying it's ready. laugh They were nice enough to give it a rinse, but left the inside as dirty as it was, and all the CV grease which let go and sprayed underneath is still visible in the pics [Huh?] .

#524458 - 02/05/07 05:45 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

They pick up the tow Dan? [Huh?] Waldo

#524459 - 02/05/07 08:27 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad you got her back and good luck on the Baby coming. Don't be nervous, well try anyways. wink

I can't believe that card made it here! Thank you very much.

Adam

#524460 - 15/05/07 08:24 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

So with no hubs to unlock the front...a long distance limp home is not going to happen I assume? Hmmm....Time to cancel Gone and other upcoming trips....My rear broke, the front cannot be far behind.... frown

#524461 - 15/05/07 08:36 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, you are not dead in the water. there would be nothing stopping you from removing the front half shafts. Not as nice as just turning some hubs, but also, not hard at all.

#524462 - 15/05/07 11:32 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

DBAX,

Congrats on the pending baby! I wont make it to GONE this year as well. Work is too time consuming.

Everyone,

My rear diff exploded too about a month ago. I have an 05 Off Road That I bought in April 2005. Whenever I turned I heard a loud clanking sound and I had all of the same symptoms like Lloyds. I took it to my Nissan Dealer and gave him two $20.00 bills, ($40.00) and he repleaced my entire rear end, free of charge. My X has 32,000 miles on it, and the underside is tore up from 2 GONE MOABs, I have the Daystar 2.5 in lift, and the front Shrockworks bumper with a Warn winch.

My Nissan service advisor at the dealership I went to in Los Angeles, said the actual mechanic tried to tell him that I had abused my X, but the service advisor told him to go ahead and replace it. It took about a week and Nissan even paid for 5 days worth of a rental car.

Every time I take my X in I tip the guy a $20 dollar bill and if its something big then I do $40. I'm not made of money, but its the best $20-$40 I ever spent getting $6,000 worth of rear end work done for free.

#524463 - 22/05/07 12:40 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Yeah, '07 Jas.. Here's the only pic I took as it was getting hauled off on the flatbed-
This is a broken stubshaft. The stub broke off just as the splines started on the shaft. I know this from tearing down 2 of these myself. The hardest part is to get the broken piece out of the housing. I guess you won't have to worry about that as it will be a warranty deal. The dealer policy is to replace it all.

#524464 - 25/05/07 06:45 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do both sides of the diff have side/sub shafts? I know the long side does (passanger side?), but does the short side too?

#524465 - 26/05/07 05:07 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, infact the part number is the same for both halfshafts. Both sides will twist off the same. As for my experience, I have only twisted off the passenger side (twice).

#524466 - 11/06/07 01:33 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
So I took in my Xterra for repairs at Peoria Nissan. According to the service advisor's boss, my use of the Xterra offroading borders on abuse.

This is what is being replaced.

1. Front Driver's side CV shaft.

2. Front differential.

3. Transfer case.

4. Rear differential.

This being said everything is covered by warrantee. That is the good thing.

#524467 - 11/06/07 04:48 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, is it fair to say that after reading this and the other post about broken drive train parts, that our 2nd gen Xterra's are pieces of crap?

Having read this forum and these posts about 4x4 issues when actually using the trucks to go off road, I no longer would consider or recommend the Xterra to anyone as a real 'out of the box' off road SUV. It really is just another fancy mall crawler after all.

#524468 - 11/06/07 04:50 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike in NRH:
Well, is it fair to say that after reading this and the other post about broken drive train parts, that our 2nd gen Xterra's are pieces of crap?

Having read this forum and these posts about 4x4 issues when actually using the trucks to go off road, I no longer would consider or recommend the Xterra to anyone as a real 'out of the box' off road SUV. It really is just another fancy mall crawler after all.
I agree whole heartedly. But then again my truck is being fixed right now. laugh .

#524469 - 11/06/07 06:36 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have already cost Nissan several sales, and after seeing what is going on with Toyota I am forced to reccomend the Jeep J/K. Now I NEVER thought that day would come! Jeep must be laughing all the way to the bank! Japanese goes downhill, and they beef theres up [drink]

#524470 - 11/06/07 08:59 PM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I no longer would consider or recommend the Xterra to anyone as a real 'out of the box' off road SUV. It really is just another fancy mall crawler after all.
This is exactly what Nissan made it for. If they wanted to trully compete with Jeep, the 2nd gen would have been smaller, lighter & with solid axle up front. The huge majority of xterras never see anything but asphalt. 4x4 is for winter driving.

#524471 - 12/06/07 06:36 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

As great as the new JK is (I was crawling around under a friend's 07 Rubi on Saturday), it has it's short comings.

Pros:
Jeep finally realized that the inverted Y steering sucks and now has factory crossover.

A JK with just new springs (or a BB) can fit 35's and get a 910 RTI (my 03 Rubi with 6" LA could only squeeze out a 905).

Jeep has decent factory upgrades. Bumpers, sliders, etc (their rear bumper sucks though).

Cons:
What were they thinking getting rid of the 4.0L inline 6 as an option?

No place to bolt up skid plates.

Now instead of an easy to make gas tank skid, you need a muffler skid.

The price tag on the Rubi is still way too high.

Again, what were they thinking with the engine.

So...now I know this isn't a Jeep thread, just thought I would share what I liked and disliked about JK's.

Now...

How the hell did you blow up the front diff, rear diff and TC all at the same time?

#524472 - 12/06/07 06:37 AM Re: Broken axle/CV joint on 05 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Quote:
[b]I no longer would consider or recommend the Xterra to anyone as a real 'out of the box' off road SUV. It really is just another fancy mall crawler after all.
This is exactly what Nissan made it for. If they wanted to trully compete with Jeep, the 2nd gen would have been smaller, lighter & with solid axle up front. The huge majority of xterras never see anything but asphalt. 4x4 is for winter driving.[/b]
But they added a factory locker?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal