shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#528036 - 30/12/05 05:12 PM 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't want to rattle Carlton too much, so y'all can check out info. as you want.

But AC (http://www.4x4parts.com) just released 2.5" lift coils AND rear AAL or Shackles (your pick) for $197.50. That beats the hell out of the "cheap" spacer lifts that are available (for a higher price, I might add!)

If you just want the lift coils, they're only $139.99.

2005+ Xterra Lifts

#528037 - 30/12/05 05:41 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

that's cool

The only thing I don't like is having to extend my break lines and ABS. As I am still getting my hands dirty this look more out of my reach and would have to bring it to a shop to do the work.

I like it though

Now do you think that you could add both this lift and the other together and get your 4.5" of lift?

Or was that just a really dumb question and I should leave now.

#528038 - 30/12/05 05:46 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't leave now.
You'd think that they would provide you with the things you need to do the MOD correctly. Why not put in the wires for the ABS and the extra brake lines, charge us, at least we won't have to hunt down parts trial and error.

OR, Give us resources to get the parts locally, part numbers etc. Shock lengths vendors.

Looks like just what I want, besides the missing parts.

MC

How stupid can they get?

#528039 - 30/12/05 06:24 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea for new options! Couple things though,
First:
Why wouldn't we need new front shock/struts since it is extending the travel?
Why would you need to alter the lines if they are the same size shackles as the Daystar lift and no changes are needed there?

No more questions yet, but this looks like a better solution, eh?

#528040 - 30/12/05 06:28 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I wrong or this a better way to lift the X by 2.5 inches then the daystar solution? PLEASE SOMEONE WITH MORE TECH KNOWLEDGE HELP EDUCATE ME... Are they right that a this will not change the CV angles? If that is the case then no alignment would be needed afterwards, correct?
This seems to be a great Solution / Package.

#528041 - 30/12/05 06:43 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AZN8iveX:
Am I wrong or this a better way to lift the X by 2.5 inches then the daystar solution? PLEASE SOMEONE WITH MORE TECH KNOWLEDGE HELP EDUCATE ME... Are they right that a this will not change the CV angles? If that is the case then no alignment would be needed afterwards, correct?
This seems to be a great Solution / Package.
Reread what they are saying as the CV angles will change just like they will with the Daystar lift. The only thing they are saying is that the CV joint angles will not get too extreme to cause problems.

You will still need an alignment with this kit.

Using longer coils is better than spacers like the Daystar lift but the installation will be more of a hassle since you need spring compressors to do it.

The fact you need to dig up longer lines for the brakes and ABS adds a certain hassle factor also.

The coils should handle more weight as is mentioned for a front winch and bumper so this also would be a plus for the longer coil lift if you are going that way.

#528042 - 30/12/05 07:10 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Add says...

"…Coils keep the factory CV angles and steering components within factory design parameters."
( EDITED after re-re-reading it I think I see what you are saying...)

This to me means "No change" of CV angles and No alignment necessary. Am I misinterpreting it?

( EDITED after re-re-reading it I think I see what you are saying...)

I aggree about the brake hoses, ABS lines, and the need to compress the coils makes this a hard install, but I am more concerned about the actually product in use. Plus I will get to use braided lines for the brakes for added safety.

#528043 - 30/12/05 08:13 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

No matter what they say those springs are going to be puttin' a hurt on those stock front shocks/struts... i would try to find shocks just a little bit(about an inch) longer than stock. -jus my 2 cents

#528044 - 30/12/05 08:16 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AZN8iveX:

This to me means "No change" of CV angles and No alignment necessary. Am I misinterpreting it?
An alignment IS necessary after the lift, without question. A shop coil press, is the only safe way to install the coils with this setup. One of those rental/harbor freight presses would make for a damn scary day doing a mod.

Performance wise this is the best lift available so far....

#528045 - 30/12/05 08:28 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gabe,
Who in town should I have do the work? This is likely beyond me.

#528046 - 30/12/05 08:37 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, any shop should have the press available. Some place like desert rat would probably be able to do the install and alignment in one shot.

Cheaper method:
You could probably take off your stock coils and shocks, take them with the new coils to a shop and have them do the swap for you, take them home and put the back on, then drive to an alignment. The rear add a leaf and shackles can be done in about an hour tops. I would call a firestone or other type of shop and see if they would just swap the coils for you.

#528047 - 30/12/05 08:39 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Gabe.

#528048 - 31/12/05 01:38 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

So which is a better solution AAL's or Shackles on the rear? How do you know that extension lines have to be put in. I don't remember hearing anything from daystar about this with there kit.

Just a few more questions. Are the coils with these kits different lengths?, because the kit with the shackles says you get 1.5 inches of lift and the AAL's claims 2.5 inches of lift.

#528049 - 31/12/05 01:48 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bgloveX:
So which is a better solution AAL's or Shackles on the rear? How do you know that extension lines have to be put in. I don't remember hearing anything from daystar about this with there kit.

Just a few more questions. Are the coils with these kits different lengths?, because the kit with the shackles says you get 1.5 inches of lift and the AAL's claims 2.5 inches of lift.
As for the rear, if you are looking for more suspension travel in the rear the shackles will allow the rear tires to droop and stuff more. AAL will make the rear pack stiffer and more difficult to bottom out. Shackles have more of an "offroad" benefit. AAL serve more for towing or for someone who carries more weight in the rear of the X (keeps the rear from sagging.

As for the brake lines the ability to droop the rear further probably causes the brakelines to extend more than stock allows thus needing longer ones. True the daystar kit doesn't require them and uses longer shackles as well but AC must have done some research on this.

#528050 - 31/12/05 01:51 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Gabe.

#528051 - 31/12/05 02:01 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC XTERRA:
Don't leave now.
You'd think that they would provide you with the things you need to do the MOD correctly. Why not put in the wires for the ABS and the extra brake lines, charge us, at least we won't have to hunt down parts trial and error.

OR, Give us resources to get the parts locally, part numbers etc. Shock lengths vendors.

Looks like just what I want, besides the missing parts.

MC

How stupid can they get?
How much of a mod princess are you? Have you ever heard that trucks are built not bought. You are the type of guy who would complain about the calmini SAS because they don't give you the axle too, or a number of someone who has one for sale or a shop to put your gears in :rolleyes:

As for the "how stupid can they get?" lets see you get off your ass and put months and thousands of dollars worth of engineering into a lift that is A: functional B: cost effective and then we will all sit and see if you want to go state by state and list all the suppliers of brake lines/shocks/and all other potential parts some customer may need. Gimme a break. If you really want the kit you will put some effort into making it work for your vehicle. Sorry if you are offended by my comments but I am impressed more by people who do the work with their own hands instead of paying a shop and those who use their god given ability to think, problem solve and adjust. Than those who brag about how someone else put their lift on and did all thier work and then try to show off as if they are the hands and minds behind the work.

--I do appreciate the contribution you make to our armed forces, freedom is not free.

#528052 - 31/12/05 03:24 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Gbizzle:
Quote:
Originally posted by bgloveX:
[b]So which is a better solution AAL's or Shackles on the rear? How do you know that extension lines have to be put in. I don't remember hearing anything from daystar about this with there kit.

As for the rear, if you are looking for more suspension travel in the rear the shackles will allow the rear tires to droop and stuff more. AAL will make the rear pack stiffer and more difficult to bottom out. Shackles have more of an "offroad" benefit. AAL serve more for towing or for someone who carries more weight in the rear of the X (keeps the rear from sagging.

As for the brake lines the ability to droop the rear further probably causes the brakelines to extend more than stock allows thus needing longer ones. True the daystar kit doesn't require them and uses longer shackles as well but AC must have done some research on this.[/b]
I have to seriously doubt the need for extensions. I think the Daystar lift has 2 inch rear shackles while this lift has only 1.5 inch rear shackles. Additionally, the Daystar lift has already been installed on an X for a few months and we haven't heard about any problems with the lines.

Won't be sure until someone gives it a shot though.

EDIT: I just realized that there are two lifts available. The shackle lift is 1.5" and should not require extensions. The AAL lift is 2.5 inches and does appear to require extensions.

#528053 - 01/01/06 09:32 AM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm seriously considering the 2.5" over the Daystar option. I can do brake lines, I'll just replace with braided, but it's the ABS wiring I'm more concerned with if that requires extended, is there some kind of harness extension that will clip right in, or is this gonna require some cutting / soldering?

#528054 - 01/01/06 10:04 AM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rinky I thing the lines are my biggest concerns too. The other gotcha on the 2.5 inch lift is that it requires longer shock for the rear. I am really hoping to hear from Double D on this issue. His expertise may be invaluable. He is a living Xterra 05 / 06 suspension expert.
Maybe he could recommend the appropriate replacement shock for this upgrade or if they are truly needed.

#528055 - 01/01/06 12:35 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another nice thing about the AAL (other than the price), is that it should fix the bottoming out problem that some people are experiencing. The shackels likely won't fix the bottoming out.

#528056 - 01/01/06 11:51 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really really
really
really cannot imagine needing longer shocks with either lift...I did a 2" lift with my last vehicle, 2wd '99 Dodge Durango and those incredibly awful and inadequate shocks didn't give me a second of problem with the added distance.

#528057 - 02/01/06 07:42 AM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

haha.. I like the term "Mod Princess". If you don't like it, just wait for about a 1/2 a dozen people to figure out how to do it before you get involved.

As far as the brake lines..usually, in jeeps, I was thinking to bend the coiled braided reinforced part down and then drill and remount the rubber line mount a little lower- assuming it comes off the frame. I prefer rubber lines, braided ones won't stretch, they just snap.

I don't know about the abs wiring. This type of lift shouldn't exceed 2 inches or so, otherwise and IFS subframe job should be done. What I like is the option to put more spring rate in to compensate for skid plate and winch weight.

even so, I would only want a winch mount- not the whole bumper. the front diff is kind of small and weight is bad in general.

#528058 - 02/01/06 09:46 AM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mike100:
haha.. I like the term "Mod Princess". If you don't like it, just wait for about a 1/2 a dozen people to figure out how to do it before you get involved.

As far as the brake lines..usually, in jeeps, I was thinking to bend the coiled braided reinforced part down and then drill and remount the rubber line mount a little lower- assuming it comes off the frame. I prefer rubber lines, braided ones won't stretch, they just snap.

I don't know about the abs wiring. This type of lift shouldn't exceed 2 inches or so, otherwise and IFS subframe job should be done. What I like is the option to put more spring rate in to compensate for skid plate and winch weight.

even so, I would only want a winch mount- not the whole bumper. the front diff is kind of small and weight is bad in general.
All true. But adding some sort of mount to your current bumper will NOT fix one the major problems with the X bumper: APPROACH ANGLE. With the aftermarket bumper, you don't just get a winch mount. You get a huge improvement in approach angle; this is a life saver off-road and its value cannot be overestimated.

IMHO getting the stronger springs up front, then adding a bumper and a winch to them, is the best option.

Personally, I decided to cancel my Daystar order and wait to see how this new lift works for people. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the spacers just weren't an option for me; because I'm getting the Shrock bumper and will also add a winch at some point in the future.

#528059 - 02/01/06 10:29 AM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what will it take to fix the abs problem on this?
Just re-wireing?

-G

#528060 - 02/01/06 03:19 PM Re: 2.5" coil lifts now availabe; NOT spacers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody know what size tire will clear with both of these lifts?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal