shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#530118 - 06/09/07 06:42 AM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

My dealer called me tuesday night to advise me that they were ordering the parts to replace the rear differential for my 2006 OR. As I have stated above I have not really taken my vehicle off road. I have used 4 wheel drive several about 4 times on pretty poor dirt roads. The one thing I have done out of the ordinary is that I tow a camp trailer. The dry weight is 3840 lbs so it is well below the tow capacity of my X.

#530119 - 07/09/07 07:54 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone been able to pin-point when in 06' that the 4 spider pkg was being installed? Mine is a Feb. truck. Anyone know?

#530120 - 09/09/07 01:13 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Went to a dealer that had 3 07 OR's on the lot and 1 used 06 OR. Checked the diff covers. Mine, a 05 OR and the 06 OR on the lot had no inprinted numbers or letters on the covers. All 3 07's had numbers with 36-06 large and easy to see. So... I would conclude that the new and OK diffs are easy to spot.

And...talked to the service manager, said only one X has come in with diff problems, numerous Titans have been in with problems, interesting. (Mossy-Oceanside)

#530121 - 10/09/07 12:32 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just FYI...

1990 Montero
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3 liters
Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 143 hp
Max Horsepower: 5000 rpm Torque: 168 ft-lbs.
Curb Weight: 3494 lbs.

2005 Xterra
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 4 liters
Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 265 hp
Max Horsepower: 5600 rpm Torque: 284 ft-lbs.
Curb Weight: 4375 lbs.

#530122 - 10/09/07 12:51 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only thing that explains is why the Montero isn't snapping axle shafts.

#530123 - 10/09/07 03:56 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw some comparisons else where, in regards to Toyota. The fact is the 3.0 V6 rear exceeds specs for a Ford 9", the front a Toyota 8.5". This is all components, axles, ring gear, ect. The newer 3.5V6 200-245HP trucks use a 10" rear end, around a dana 60 spec. So you have to ask, why did Nissan use smaller diffs with more power, yet fairly beefy axles? It makes no sense, other then costs. That was somewhat the conclusion on the Toyota discussion. Still, cost savings do no good if you are left holding the bag for millions of dollars in warranty work, and pissed of customers. And, they took the cost to build and engineer a solid engine and transmission.

#530124 - 11/09/07 03:34 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

The information below is interesting but not very useful since the problem does not seem to be ring gear size but spider gear or side gear weakness.

New Tundra differentials:

The V6 and 4.7 liter V8 get the differential with a 9 1/2 inch ring gear. This gear comes in two ratios depending on whether or not you order the towing package. This is the largest ring gear of any 1/2 ton full-size pickup truck. The 5.7 liter engine comes with an even larger 10.5 inch gear which is larger than most 3/4 ton pickup trucks.

FJ differentials:

An electronic locking rear differential with an eight-inch ring gear is available. The ring gear in the front differential of the 4x4 FJ Cruiser also measures eight inches.

Dana 44's - Nissan 8.5 inch

#530125 - 11/09/07 04:20 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still maintane its not the overall diff size that is our problem. It is just bad, cheap engineering. The stupid 2 spider trick, crappy front diff housing and thin cut locker gear. ALL of that could have been avoided for a couple of average strength diffs, instead of brittle like glass.

The Montero diffs are definately over engineered I will give you.

#530126 - 16/09/07 09:19 AM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Interesting. I thought I was the only one that had thoughts about issues with the diff's. I do get a howl out of the rear on my 06 on the highway around 70mph, but only when maintaining speed. And this is a vehicle that primarily sees highway driving, only occasional off road use.
I had the same exact problem. Thought that was just "what they all did". Finally took it in at around 23K and asked about it. They told me the diff was bad, and they replaced the entire rear end. After that the ride was MUCH quieter...something was def wrong with the original.

BUT, I've had a hell of a time with the dealership because they continue to screw things up. It's been back to the shop 4 times since I got it "fixed". First, the rear seal started leaking. Took it back and they replaced the seal. The next day I heard a grinding noise from underneath, so I crawled under and found that the sleeve around the yoke (on the driveshaft) was grinding on the extended part of the transmission. Took it back and they told me the drive shaft was "coming apart". They replaced the driveshaft and the extension case, and everything seemed good. I clawled under the X the next day to check out the work and found that the driveshaft was new, but the sleeve (that was causing the grinding) was missing, leaving my rear seal exposed and making me wonder if there is an alignment issue. Took it back and pretty much went off on the service writer. He talked the the mechanic and they claim that it came from Nissan like that but they have ordered a new one that "will include the sleeve". Now I'm just waiting for the part to come in...

BTW, It doesn't look like they have aligned the wheels after the diff replacement, at least it's not in the paperwork. Wouldn't that be a requirement? Seems like common sense to me... Should I press them on that?

#530127 - 16/09/07 01:26 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dealership I use is pretty good. I refuse to use the one down the road from me, even though it would save me an hour of driving for service, they are idiots and couldn't diagnose a flat tire correctly. I go in on Tuesday, they are going to check out the rear diff along with the passenger window rattle (regulator according to the service manager) so when I get it back everything should be done correctly. I hope.

#530128 - 17/09/07 09:15 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got my 06 off road back friday. Cost for replacing the rear differential was $2500.00. Glad this was under warranty. I haven't crawled under my X to see if I now have a differential with numbers on it. I really like my X, but if this is going to continue to be a problem I am going to have to consider getting rid of it.

#530129 - 25/09/07 12:10 PM Re: diffy concerns
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dollarlongnecks:
BTW, It doesn't look like they have aligned the wheels after the diff replacement, at least it's not in the paperwork. Wouldn't that be a requirement? Seems like common sense to me... Should I press them on that?
There's no alignment to be done on a solid axle rear. The springs locate the axle, and the center pins in the spring packs line up under holes in the axle spring perches.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal