2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#531871 - 05/08/06 01:57 PM Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've just finished test driving an 06 Xterra and we're very impressed! We plan to tow a 4200 pound folding camping trailer. With the factory tow package installed, would you recommend any version (say, off road) over the others? Thanks!

#531872 - 05/08/06 02:11 PM Re: Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the trim level shouldnt make a difference for your application, unless (im not sure) one of them comes with a supplemental oil cooler.

#531873 - 05/08/06 02:58 PM Re: Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

trim package will not matter at all but an AT over an MT will.

#531874 - 05/08/06 10:24 PM Re: Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The AT and MT have identical tow ratings. The only advantage to the AT is the torque multiplication for getting things rolling. No clutch to burn out either. But the MT has a lower 1st gear ratio and you don't have the heat issues associated with an auto.

Leads me to believe that the tranny is not the limiting factor.

-Old Army

#531875 - 07/08/06 05:26 AM Re: Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Army:
The AT and MT have identical tow ratings. The only advantage to the AT is the torque multiplication for getting things rolling. No clutch to burn out either. But the MT has a lower 1st gear ratio and you don't have the heat issues associated with an auto.

Leads me to believe that the tranny is not the limiting factor.

-Old Army
Agreed in the next gen the tow ratings for both trannys are the same. Until in the previous gen where the AT's were higher.

#531876 - 07/08/06 09:31 AM Re: Best Version For Towing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is good information guys, thanks. I was not aware the tow ratings wer the same in the New Gen Models. I did notice that first gear on the MT was pretty limited when I test drove one last week. You can't wind that out too much.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal