2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#532948 - 12/07/06 08:16 PM $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So ive decided this summer my budget is only $1000 because of saving for school and the such. So i was thinking a couple of ways to go with my x including performance mods or on the other end, stereo mods.

So here are my choices:

1) Headers + Exhaust (prob Gibson but what else is there?)

2) AC AAL suspension package + bilsteins + tires(?)

3) adding all new speakers and subs, doing a nice job with good stuff and prob dynamat

im leaning to exhaust + headers, so just let me know what you guys think...

#532949 - 12/07/06 08:56 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you don't have sliders. You don't have a front or rear bumper. You do have 265 horsies. But you want to jack it up and put a loud stereo with a rumbly exhaust. Ya that sound real kewl why don't you do that.

#532950 - 13/07/06 03:45 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok!

Get yourself AC's front coil and shackle lift. Don't bother with the AAL for now. The front coil will lift the nose 2.5" and the shackle will raise the rear 1.5". It will be nearly perfectly level.

With the remaining $750-$800, get yourself a set of 285's (33"). I chose the BFG A/T's. Great on the street & off road.

Unless you plan on doing some pretty serious off-roading, I'd say hold of on the sliders until the next opportunity ($$$) for upgrading presents itself.

#532951 - 13/07/06 07:01 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

so 05XOR, you recommend that this young man get big tires and lift his truck BEFORE he has any sliders or bumpers to use as recovery points. And being youthful he will probably never go offroading in the Massachusetts snow. And never be stuck. And he will have to change a flat with his little factory scissor jack. Instead of a HiLift jack. Just so we have our priorities straight. His rig will look great while it's stuck with big tires and a lifted suspension.

#532952 - 13/07/06 07:43 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Catalyst--

It all depends what you want to do with your Xterra.

If you just drive around town, then something like a daystar lift for cosmetic purposes, or a better stereo, might be the ticket. Lifted Xterras do look cool, and nice stereos are fun.

If you want to drive your Xterra off road, I'd go with sliders, a shovel, and a hi-lift as your first purchases (make sure you learn how to use a hilift correctly, though, as it can kill you if used wrong). And make sure to learn how to TREAD lightly http://www.treadlightly.org

Personally, I think the Xterra has a fine sounding exhaust as is. I can't see messing with that.

#532953 - 13/07/06 07:46 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

chrishaynesusa:

Some of us have rear hitches for recovery (and I assume you know there's a front hook as well). I've seen both used with no problems, bumpers are NOT a requirement for a lot of people.

Some of us like better sound systems.

I had tons of fun in the truck without ANY mods, and BFG AT's with a lift would have sure come in handy. Even though I would have also liked sliders, they wouldn't have helped as much as rubber and clearance for the terrain I was in.

I now have tires AND sliders, and the lift will come later after some armor.

Quit with the shitty attitude, if you're not going to help then shut the hell up and stay out of the conversation.

To the original poster:

It all depends on your needs and wants...if you aren't going to do anything hardcore enough to require sliders (soon at least), you can hold off on them. Tires are one of the first things I would recommend doing if you're going to venture off the pavement, along with skid plates. A lift is also good if you want some clearance over small stuff underneath.

As far as the other mods you mentioned, I'd go for a sound system myself before headers/exhaust - I just finished Dynamat on the doors and replaced the speakers with Infinity 6x9's and 6.5's pushed by an Alpine 40Wx4 RMS amp. It sounds awesome. Took me forever to do but it's totally worth it. And although I love subs, I don't wanna give up the cargo room. I have a bunch of Dynamat left so I'll be doing the floor/wheel wells/cargo area as much as I can.

I don't much see the point in headers + exhaust, they can be cool but not worth the cash IMHO. You've got plenty of power and she's fairly loud as it is.

#532954 - 13/07/06 08:31 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

with gas prices ready to skyrocket...again, id save that $1000 for gas! smile

#532955 - 13/07/06 09:44 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by chrishaynesusa:
so 05XOR, you recommend that this young man get big tires and lift his truck BEFORE he has any sliders or bumpers to use as recovery points. And being youthful he will probably never go offroading in the Massachusetts snow. And never be stuck. And he will have to change a flat with his little factory scissor jack. Instead of a HiLift jack. Just so we have our priorities straight. His rig will look great while it's stuck with big tires and a lifted suspension.
Lift and tires is a hell of a way to go. Using a hi-lift on the road is never the smartest thing to do as they are not that stable. I'd still use my factory jack over my hi-lift as I never carry proper blocks to block the wheels when driving around town.

If he does go playing in the snow, mud or whatever, hopefully he won't go alone. If he does, well thats his problem and its not like your the one that has to go recover him.

As far as recovery points, the front tow hook will work fine unless he's crawling up huge ass rocks which I doubt he'll try is his first time out.

Another point, is it is his money so if he wants a stereo, tires, lift, nose job or whatever so be it. I've seen worse things done.

He's looking for positive feedback/ideas. Not to be made fun of.

With that said, my 2cents would be sliders (bout 450) and whatever is left towards a stereo, lift, or tires. I've personally jacked up my rocker panels when I didn't have them on my 02 X and have seen plenty of others damage them as well. That first time they catch your truck while dropping off a rock or step, you'll be glad you had them.

I'd hold off on an exhast for now as to me thats a very low priority as the factory 265 ponies is plenty for anything you'd want to do.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#532956 - 13/07/06 10:29 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are going to school full-time, I would save the money so you can do something fun every once in a while during that time. You have an almost new X as it is, save your money until you are at a point when you can do exactly what you want. Just my two cents.

#532957 - 13/07/06 04:29 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

- powdercoated sliders (about $400 delivered)
- calmini lift with alignment $300 (if you do the work to install)
- tow bar and wiring $200 (can be rear recovery point too).
- front skid your last $100 or so spent on that. or if you didn't already own it...tow straps/tire plug kit etc and 4x4 stuff for the trail.

#532958 - 13/07/06 04:41 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyFishingX:
If you are going to school full-time, I would save the money so you can do something fun every once in a while during that time. You have an almost new X as it is, save your money until you are at a point when you can do exactly what you want. Just my two cents.
agreed...save it for fun while in school as once you get there you will wish you had the extra $$$$

BUT...exhaust and headers are a waste of $$ IMHO...cheep lift and nice tires would be my choice if you are that bent on parting with your money laugh

#532959 - 13/07/06 05:03 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Yo chris-remember the regime "open mouth, insert foot, close mouth" enjoy ridicle. [Spit] [Spit] --JIMBO

#532960 - 13/07/06 05:27 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Call up Jim and get some SLIDERS. Then take the left over money and put it in a jar until you have enough saved up to get some nice 285 tires (all-terrains, muds, whatever you want).

#532961 - 14/07/06 03:23 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Catalyst,

I'm with ya on being at college but wanting to do a little something to my X. I'm debating between a new sound system or exhaust & intake because I'm limiting myself to about the same budget as you. I'm holding out on the lift/tires/wheels/armor for now just to see what else comes out and i want to be able to do it all at once. The way I see things is that the sound system or exhaust & intake are things I can enjoy everytime i drive the X. Once i'm back in school in the fall, i rarely have much time to go wheelin. Good luck on your decision.

"Never shit a shitter"

#532962 - 14/07/06 11:00 PM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Since you are going to college...

Keep in mind that wheeling can get expensive (especially if you start breaking stuff or getting flat tires).
If you plan on doing somewhat frequent wheeling, I'd get skids and sliders to help protect your X and prevent trail damage (and more $$$ lost paying to fix said damage)

Since I'm guessing you'll be on a tight budget the next 4 years, I'd do the sound system.
1st, it's not going to break and need repair (unless some drunk person vomits on your system)
2nd, you'll find the stereo a much better expense if you aren't wheeling your X. chicks dig trucks with sweet sound systems.
3rd - I second the motion by armandov about the exhuast and headers

A lifted X looks cool, but does eats up gas a little more and (depending on where you are going to school) could make garaging/parking the X a little more "fun." For Example, if you are going to college in the city of Boston- With just a 3" Sus lift (on my '01 X), there are no public parking garages in Boston my X will fit in (unless I take the stock roof rack off)...
so keep that in mind

Sliders and skids are a good investment, but if you aren't going to be needing the use of those items over the next 4 years (because of a lack of time to wheel)...then I'd spend my money on something you will be using

just my $.02

#532963 - 15/07/06 05:29 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sage advice.

Now that I've given it more thought, perhaps it would be wiser just to squirrel away your cash for school. You may need it for something important...like school.

Finish your studies and join the work force mob (it sucks). Then you can start racking up debt by modding your truck just like the rest of us knuckle heads.

j/k

#532964 - 16/07/06 04:55 AM Re: $1000 to spend...... but what on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You didn't mention just saving the cash as you do have a nice truck as is....having said that I would go for the sliders and skids. The first time they are "used", they will pay for themselves (a blow to an unprotected rocker panel can be extremely expensive). Besides, while returning to my truck in the parking lot of the grocery I observed a less than pleased young man inspecting the damage to his door after it slammed into my passenger slider. It's a shame, but sure beats having a big dent in my door due to his carelessness. Just a thought.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal