shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#533447 - 12/06/07 07:07 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
Will call them tomorrow. I cant believe your entire drive train is being replaced under warranty, and I have to get a lawyer just for my rear diff, known to be silly weak! mad Would love to know what happened to the t/case, we dont need that too! frown
I think I suggested this before - But drag yours over here to AZ from NM and run a rental car back until it's repaired! smile Peoria Nissan in particular - Where DBax & Defibvt both took theirs, seem to be pretty good at replacing stuff under warranty.

#533448 - 12/06/07 07:54 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
My guess, they won't know.

They will just drop the entire case and replace it.
Your probably right but at least I can try to find out for future reference for others.

#533449 - 12/06/07 03:24 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad I have a 1st gen X, but now I'm wishing I had talked my wife out of a 2nd gen Frontier.

I know the guys with Titans on titantalk.com were encouraging all their rear diff failures to file a complaint with the NHTSA at NHTSA Complaint Investigation

Certainly couldn't hurt to get the ball rolling to get nissan to pay attention.

#533450 - 12/06/07 04:22 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I started a NHTSA complaint already. I encourage folks to call in.

#533451 - 14/06/07 05:52 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Today Nissan told my lawyer to pound dirt today. It was really surprising what they said, many illegal things, rediculous acusations and things that violate there own warranty!

So now we are going through the BBB arbitration process...hopefully surcum and decide it is not worth the cost of fighting a losing battle. Unfortunately if we go to court it will get expensive. So hopefully the BBB will work, and we CAN get lawyer fees.

#533452 - 15/06/07 04:15 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the Link to the Web Album that shows the Spider Gear pieces from my Rear Diff.

I'm going to try and get some time on the Realtime X-ray machine at work and see if it shows anything interesting. If it does I'll post.

Enjoy.

#533453 - 16/06/07 05:51 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you wheel your truck any? Is it just my emagination or does the way those gears broke look odd? Like a boxed, fractured pattern? Almost like the metal was completely failing? Weak metal? Too much heat? Caused by being sao overwhelmed/ under engineered?

Broken spider gears I have seen before in rigs with large tires and extreme wheeling simply looked, well, broken or stripped. Yours looked like an over baked caked or like they were nuked!

#533454 - 16/06/07 09:18 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

[LOL] Yeah, I've wheeled for Hundreds of Miles in our Desert and Mountainous areas. There were only a few times where I may have stressed the Diff, but I always crawl using the locker instead of hammering through it.

I would not have known I had an issue until I got the Shrock cover and then had the leak I needed to fix. The Dealer told me that the took it for a test drive when I dropped it off and it went out completely on them. [Just in time!]

It really looks to me (and I tried my best to capture it in the pictures) like the heat treating did not go completely through the gear and the Tooth was pushed off of the gear through shear force. Maybe a solution would be to remove the Spider gears and re-heat-treat them, but I'm not a metalurgist and don't know if that would do more harm than good.

I'm hoping I can get on the X-Ray and find some more evidence to put forth, but I don't expect much from it.

I do feel for you man, but I'd have to say that you and maybe a couple others [that I haven't found] are the only ones that couldn't get it covered under warranty and until there are more of you with 'out of pocket' expenses you'll have a hard time pressing Nissan into a solution.

I hope the Best for you and understand anyones distrust and heartbreak over this, but on the whole my X has been good to me. However it doesn't appear like I'll have it for Hundreds of Thousands of miles like I had hoped. It will get very expensive unless I swap everything out for Bullet proof and then find the next weak link.

Adam

#533455 - 16/06/07 10:13 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

My brother in law does no destructive testing for Goodrich, who make Turbine parts and Jet Engine fan blades etc. I'll see what kind of investigative work he might be able to do on that piece of metal too Adam!

#533456 - 16/06/07 01:06 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
My brother in law does no destructive testing for Goodrich, who make Turbine parts and Jet Engine fan blades etc. I'll see what kind of investigative work he might be able to do on that piece of metal too Adam!
I'll give him one of the two pieces if he can run some additional tests. Thanks! wink

#533457 - 14/07/07 06:21 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arbitration hearing is set for July 25th. Only took 2.5 months! Lets see how it goes....

#533458 - 16/07/07 07:13 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good luck.If there is anything I can do as a fellow failed diff owner, let me know.

Nissan is covering my rear diff, it it ever comes off backorder.

#533459 - 16/07/07 06:25 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Nissan is covering my rear diff, it it ever comes off backorder.
That's nice! How did you manage to make them cover it? I think you had said that you doubted they'd cover it because of your mods...

#533460 - 16/07/07 10:04 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't do anything to make them, they just did. I deal with Pittsburgh East Nissan in Wilkins, PA. So far, they have been good to me and other local club members.

#533461 - 17/07/07 06:23 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
All this crap seems to be up to the individual dealer. I guess it pays to get in good with one.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal