shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53822 - 18/05/06 07:02 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by blue02:
Show Some more close ups of that light bar will you.
And I'm sure Calmini will give you technical drawings on their stuff too.

#53823 - 19/05/06 05:51 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought this topic was VERY funny, coming from a Hella rep.....

#53824 - 26/05/06 11:28 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 06xblue:
I thought this topic was VERY funny, coming from a Hella rep.....
Why is the topic funny, or am I mis-understanding what you mean?
I obviously work for a lighting company, and I wanted to mount lights in a certain place, so I wanted to see if there was anything already available to do it. Since there wasn't, my neighbor made something up.

I think it worked OK, but that's just me.

#53825 - 26/05/06 12:46 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He asked for close up pictures of the light bar not technical drawings. Calmini won't give you the drawings because it's their busines to manufacture the parts and make money. Your reply to blue02 appears contradict this statement.

Quote:
I don't think that $175 is unreasonable though, and no, I'm not making anything off of it. He's a neighbor and friend of mine.
Other members have fabricated things for the X and had no issue with sharing information.

#53826 - 06/07/06 02:04 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by redorange:
Quote:

He asked for close up pictures of the light bar not technical drawings. Calmini won't give you the drawings because it's their busines to manufacture the parts and make money. Your reply to blue02 appears contradict this statement.

Quote:
I don't think that $175 is unreasonable though, and no, I'm not making anything off of it. He's a neighbor and friend of mine.
Other members have fabricated things for the X and had no issue with sharing information.
How much more close-up do the pictures need to be? It's clear how the bar is attached to the truck, and I even stated somewhere that it is attached into 4 of the roof rack mounting holes, which you can see in the pictures. The guy's profile says he's a metal fabricator or something, if I remember correctly. If that's true, he should have no problem going off of the pictures I posted.
As I did not make this thing, I didn't feel it was my place to completely undermine any possibillity that the guy could ever hope to sell any in the future (if he ever wanted to), by giving detailed instructions on the thing, and basically giving away his intellectual property. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't know where to begin since I'm not who made it.
People that complain about others not sharing information, when there's clearly enough information already to complete the task, are usually just looking to basically get something for almost nothing.
You can see by how long it's been since I've even looked at this post, or any others, that I have *way* more going on than allows me time to go out and take multiple angled hi-res pictures of specific parts of a roof rack, because some people would rather get someone else to do as much of it as they can get them to, rather than go out and attempt it themselves.

Some of you guys seem to have plenty of time to complain about 'not sharing', but strangely not enough time to go out and do something on your own. Not everything worthwhile is a bolt-on, guys.

#53827 - 06/07/06 02:12 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

gee...

you came looking for ideas... people willingly shared theirs with you... pics and all, and details of how to do it...

now that you've found your solution, you don't want to share...

nice...

#53828 - 07/07/06 08:52 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ccotenj:
gee...

you came looking for ideas... people willingly shared theirs with you... pics and all, and details of how to do it...

now that you've found your solution, you don't want to share...

nice...
How about reading what I already posted?! I DID share what I had, including about 4 pics that show exactly how the thing goes on there. I also stated that I did not make it, and know nothing about welding or fabricating, so I couldn't tell you the 'details' of how to make it. What do you want me to do, pull it off and make a CAD drawing for you in my 'spare' time?
Even so, if you look at what I provided, including the pics, and simply take that to a local welder, he should be able to recreate the same thing.

If I '...don't want to share...', why would I have even gone through the effort of posting the pics and telling anyone about it?

I've been in a few clubs and more than a few online auto forums in the past, but you guys really take the cake.

Get a life.

#53829 - 07/07/06 09:00 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

defensive little prick, aintcha? [Freak]

nah, these guys don't take the cake... try some bmw boards on for size... these guys are minor leaguers compared to them... :rolleyes:

#53830 - 07/07/06 09:20 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Instead of buying that expensive prerunner deal why don't you have your neighbor (who seems to be talented enough) build you one for way cheaper and probably alot better looking too?

#53831 - 07/07/06 09:32 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by alex:
Instead of buying that expensive prerunner deal why don't you have your neighbor (who seems to be talented enough) build you one for way cheaper and probably alot better looking too?
We do a lot of stuff with Manik. We give them lights for show trucks, and they give us bars for our stuff, so it was simply easier, and of course cheaper.
My neighbor would have taken quite a while if I asked him to make one. He took all day making the thing for the roof, and it's pretty small.
I actually like the way the Manik unit looks, and it's a snap to put on.

#53832 - 07/07/06 09:33 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Looks like you have your solution already, but here are my roof lights. They've been up there and used for 3+ years at least. Worked well for me.

Also.....you're a rep for Hella. I'm sure they would be thrilled to know of your outstanding discourse with potential customers.....maybe not your direct customers, but end consumers none-the-less.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#53833 - 07/07/06 09:52 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Yo TripleJack--You're first mistake was to mention that you're a HELLA rep-you're second mistake was to answer some of these BAJA 1000 experts (brain dead) questions-I think you're presentation was appropriate [Spit] [Argue] --JIMBO

#53834 - 07/07/06 09:56 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OT: Brad, i didnt get a chance to check out your truck a whole lot in richmond, but that thing is badass.

#53835 - 07/07/06 10:03 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Also.....you're a rep for Hella. I'm sure they would be thrilled to know of your outstanding discourse with potential customers.....maybe not your direct customers, but end consumers none-the-less.[/QB]
And what about anything I have said here is inappropriate? Some of the people on here accuse me of things, insinuate things , one calling me a prick, and I simply stated the facts.
I wonder if *their* employers would be thrilled to know of their outstanding discourse with people in general.
Is it different because I stated that I worked for Hella, and do not hide behind the perceived annonimity(?) of the Internet? I didn't come on here to sell product, I came here to find useful information, and to meet people and socialize about a common interest.
I worked for 6 years in Customer Service, and I assure you that I am very good at it, and go out of my way, over and above what is required of me, or the company, to take care of either a direct customer, or a consumer, but when someone says something that isn't correct, just like here, I will call them on it. Just like when a guy called here saying that a set of our lights caused his alternator and batteries to fail, and he wanted us to pay the bill to fix it. I knew he was feeding me a line, and even talked to the shop that fixed the truck, who told me he was just trying to get someone else to pay for it. Do you think we rolled-over for that one?
On the other hand, there have been countless times when consumers have called here saying something was broken, and in many cases, it was either not a defect, but damage caused by them, or the item was *way* out of warranty, or as is usually the case, they don't have their receipt. In 9 out of 10 cases, I will usually just give them the part they need, or whatever it is. I even had a guy call here after the first of the year who told me he dropped a lamp when installing it, and broke the lens. Obviously not a defect, but I sent him a new one anyway.
I know how to deal with people, and get along with 90% of people in this world, but I will call a spade a spade.
I just guess that the other 10% happen to all be concentrated in this forum.

Oh, and while I disagree with your opinion, I do think you have a nice rig.

#53836 - 07/07/06 12:51 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So how about if you were to ask your neighbor if you could post close up shots? If he doesn't plan on making any more of them, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing a few details. I'd like to see the mounts at the roof rack if so.

#53837 - 07/07/06 05:18 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
OT: Brad, i didnt get a chance to check out your truck a whole lot in richmond, but that thing is badass.
Quote:
Originally posted byTripleJackInGA:
Oh, and while I disagree with your opinion, I do think you have a nice rig.
Thank you both.

And I will now apologize to TripleJackInGA for my knee-jerk response. I did not completely read this thread before my reply, and made my answer in reference to that quick review of the thread. I w was not completely informed before stating.

Enjoy your new X. Congrats on the light bar solution. [ThumbsUp]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#53838 - 07/07/06 07:56 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im not clear on why folks are giving Triple Jack' flack. The light bar mount is not his idea to share, which he stated. Thats all good, now maybe he will talk with his neighbor about fabbing up some more for purchase,or maybe not after the red carpet treatment he got.

Triple Jack' the bar looks good, damn good. Dont sweat what a few have to say. Enjoy the ride [ThumbsUp]

#53839 - 07/07/06 09:29 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey TripleJackInGA, the lights look awesome!! I have a couple questions for you...

1)How much would you estimate your entire lightbar setup would cost? Including lights and necessary accessories.

2)How were you able to run the wiring from the lights into the cabin for the on/off switch?

3)Have you spoken with your neighbor lately about him "mass" producing the bar you have?

Thanks for your time. and once again, great lightbar !

#53840 - 09/07/06 03:01 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GoJoeGo:

2)How were you able to run the wiring from the lights into the cabin for the on/off switch?

Doesn't look like they are wired at all. Makes sence too if they are just for looks to promote for the company. Although, if they are wired, i'd like to know how you did it too, because it sure looks clean.

#53841 - 12/07/06 06:07 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey TripleJackInGA, the lights look awesome!! I have a couple questions for you...

1)How much would you estimate your entire lightbar setup would cost? Including lights and necessary accessories.

3)Have you spoken with your neighbor lately about him "mass" producing the bar you have?

Thanks for your time. and once again, great lightbar !
1) As far as the total cost, it's hard to say since he would be making the bars, but let's assume it's $175. The lights I have on their go for about $114 each, minus the wiring going up to them, relays, switches, etc. You can get away with running just two relays if you run 55 Watt bulbs in them. The relays will run you about $8 a piece, and the switch is a part # 96517, which will look almost factory. It will run you about $7 (you can use one switch for the whole thing). Not including the wiring, with the lights I used, you would be looking at about $770.
That being said, the lights I used are about as expensive as any Halogen light comes, and is top of the line. You can certainly use something less-expensive, such as the model 500 Driving Lamp, and they go for $45 each, which would drop the total down to about $424. You can also now find these lamps at Wal-Mart (the 500s), so you may be able to get them even cheaper, or check eBay. lots of people sell it on eBay.
Of course you can also go with fewer lamps, and if you simply do not like Hella lamps, you can use something else entirely.

2) I've been traveling quite a bit lately, so I have yet to complete the wiring, but I do have it in place.I just need to make the final connections. I ran a bundle of 4 14guage (I think) wires through a hole I drilled in the roof directly behind the plastic wind-deflector on the front of the rack.I damn-near poked a hole in the headliner when the bit popped through the roof, even though I started with a small bit and worked my way up. I did it on the Driver's Side, and then put the wires into some plastic loom to protect them from shorting on the sharp metal. I also siliconed the crap out of it after I fed them through.To date, we've had some pretty hard rain, and I have yet to see any signs of a leak. I fed this whole thing down the Driver's Side A-Pillar, under the dash, and through the large rubber grommet on the firewall on the Driver's Side. I just made a new hole in it, which you can do by taping the end of your wires to a long flat-head screwdriver, and just pushing it through a thin spot of the rubber from the inside of the cabin, then going to the other side, removing the tape, and pulling the screwdriver back out, leaving the wiring where you want it, with a nice tight seal around it in the grommet. I'll have my relays mounted on the Driver's Side inner-fender, with a larger, maybe 10-12 guage single wire going from the relays to the Pass. Side to the battery.The two wires for the switch can be small, since the relay needs only very little Amperage to operate, and it isn't carrying the load for the lamps themselves, and easily routed back through the same grommet, and I will have the switch located in the empty switch blanks in the center stack, but you can put the switch anywhere.

3) I haven't spoken to him about that lately. I know if he does it, he said he will want to take mine off and make a jig for it. I'll try and get with him this week or this weekend, and ask him more seriously.

#53842 - 12/07/06 08:18 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TripleJackInGA:
I'll try and get with him this week or this weekend, and ask him more seriously.
So a horse, a clergyman and a blonde walk into a bar and the bartender says, "so, you gonna mass produce those things?" But seriously though... [LOL]

#53843 - 12/07/06 12:03 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The bar looks good. Don't know what the big prob is. Just look at the photos...You can see how it was attached.. Nice job!! cool

#53844 - 15/07/06 01:35 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

TripleJackInGA,

Thanks for the detailed response... I've only had my X for 5 months now and I'm developing that never ending mod list. The lights look awesome, but Im always hesitant is drilling permanent holes anywhere.

#53845 - 18/07/06 11:55 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
TripleJackInGA,

Thanks for the detailed response... I've only had my X for 5 months now and I'm developing that never ending mod list. The lights look awesome, but Im always hesitant is drilling permanent holes anywhere.
I am too normally, but at what piont in the truck's life would anyone intentionally drive around with any part of the rack, including the wind-deflector that the hole is directly behind, removed? at worste, you have a 5/8" hole that can be welded up and fixed to where you would never know it was there if you absolutely needed to.

Oh, and to show you how not worried I am about it, this truck is leased. Do you think the leasing company will take it apart to find the hole? I've turned in leased vehicles before, and at best they take about 2 minutes to walk around the car and look for obvious damage.

At any rate, it's up to each individual as to wether they want to do that or not. The only alternative for me if I hadn't drilled a hole would have been to run all the way to the back of the rack and down through the lift-gate. Doing this would have required a *much* bigger guage of wire, since I would be going about 30 feet or so with the wiring, and voltage-drop would have killed the power.

#53846 - 18/07/06 11:59 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I only saw my neighbor once briefly this past weekend as I was busy painting the inside of my house (and still am). I did mention it, so I'll try and get with him again and see if he came up with anything.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal