shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53797 - 09/03/06 08:31 AM Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys and gals -

My first post here. My employer recently bought me a 2006 XTerra X 2WD in Solar Yellow. I want to mount some lights right where the wind-deflector is at the forwardmost part of the rack, but of course the wind-deflector is plastic, so it's not suitable for attaching lamps to. I know it's easy to attach the lamps to the top of the rack, but I really want them right where the wind-deflector is, just in front of the basket.
Does anyone make a metal version of the wind-deflector on the 05-06 ? This would likely be stable enough for some lamps.
Another option is to remove the plastic wind-deflector, and fabricate a cross-bar that would attach to the under-side of the metal bars just before they meet the roofline. This would have to be fabbed up, of course.

Anywho, thanks for any info on this.

I love the truck. Excellent value!

Have a good one!

#53798 - 09/03/06 09:42 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Search the posts. Someone has mounted lights to the plasting wind deflector and it worked fine. They didn't even use a backing plate.

#53799 - 09/03/06 10:03 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. I looked a bit so far, but must not have used the right search terms. The lights I am going to mount are pretty heavy too, so I'll probably have to play with it.

#53800 - 09/03/06 11:24 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have no idea what the soultion is...

but...

what, in God's name, do you do that your boss bought you an X!?!?! [Freak]

#53801 - 09/03/06 11:45 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would mount them to the front cross bar on the roof rack for one important reason... To eliminate glare on the windshield. If you mount lights too far forward you get blinded by them.

#53802 - 09/03/06 12:34 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To answer Jake's question, I am the Southeast Key Accounts Manager for Hella. I'll be traveling all over the SE to customers, and of course trying to sell them lights. It helps to sell lights, if you have something to demonstrate them on. I had been looking at a few inexpensive SUVs, and the XTerra won due to *extremely* competitive lease rates that Nissan offers. The other two candidates were the Jeep Liberty CRD, and the new 2006 Toyota Rav4. The problem with the Jeep was that the lease rates from DaimlerChrysler were anything but competitive, and although I found some amazing deals on Liberty CRDs (like a new 2005 for under $20k), DC would not do a lease on a 2005 model, even though it was new. The Rav4 is a very nice vehicle, especially now that it has a 269HP V6 lifted fom the Avalon, and you can get a 3rd row seat (for midgets), and the fuel economy is great (EPA rating on the V6 of close to 30MPG), and the MSRP is very good, but being a totally redesigned vehicle, dealers are getting over list for them.
The X model I got had an MSRP of $22,700, and they discounted it down to right at $20k. This combined with the good lease rates made it the big winner, despite the not-so-good fuel mileage. Since they're paying for everything, including the fuel, that's fine with me.
I got the 2WD for obvious reasons. The truck will be doing almost all highway driving, and will likely never go offroad.
I really like the truck a lot, and can't wait to hang a bunch of our lights on this thing.
I'll probably have a new Manik Pre-Runner bar up front, but I really wanted to put the lamps where that wind-deflector is. If you stick them on top of the rack, you run into clearance issues sometimes, and it only adds to the mileage woes.

Glare on the hood from the overhead lamps is of very very little concern to me. The lamps will likely only be used for demo purposes, or the very rare use with the hi-beams. At worste, a flat-black hood section, either a decal or painted, would cure much of that.

#53803 - 09/03/06 01:17 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well then, bolt them puppies right to the air damn with a metal backing on the inside. Since they don't have to take the beating of off-road I am sure it would work.

Take a look at this.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=115

#53804 - 09/03/06 01:48 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I saw that, and that looks OK, but I'm looking to mount them directly in front of the plastic shield that says 'NISSAN', so that the bottom of the lamp is at about the same place as the roof-line.

Thanks again.

#53805 - 09/03/06 01:57 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Use the same idea, just take the air dam off to mount them. Just watch cause I heard a rumor that the 4 screws in the front holding the air dam down don't like to go back in once they are removed.

#53806 - 09/03/06 02:00 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, my only idea thus far has been to remove the plastic shield, then have my neighbor that's a welder fab up a piece of angle-iron and attach it to the two metal bars that run front-to-back, and use that as a brace.

#53807 - 09/03/06 02:06 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't even think you need to fab anything. The plastic used for the air damn is the same as the roof bin lid. With that piece of aluminum bar stock along the back they won't go anywhere. You can get the bar stock at places like Home Depot and just cut it with a hack saw and drill holes in it.

#53808 - 09/03/06 03:23 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
I know that you're talking about 05+ xterra, but I have mounted Hella Micro FF directly to the wind deflector. I haven't had any problems of the lamps getting loose or any. I'm sure you could do the same with 05+ deflectors...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/416928948/1416953552043574248yUQuWL (Copy & Paste)

#53809 - 09/03/06 04:49 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'll probably have a new Manik Pre-Runner bar up front
is this out yet...and where do I sign up?

#53810 - 09/03/06 06:26 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Well it's off of an early 2002 but just to give you an idea here's what I did to mine.

Front

Back

Don't know how big of lights you want to go, mine are 3.5" lights. They have seen lots of low branches and offroad abuse and are still holding up great. They have been on for the last 3.5 years. Hope this gives you an idea anyway...
If you are really worried about the weight of bigger light directly on the plastic you can pick up a piece of 1.5" flat stock (the lenght of the wind deflector) and use it as a brace in the back for strenght.

#53811 - 10/03/06 06:00 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

shinallb - My contact at Manik gave me a list of things available for the 2005-2006, and along with side-steps, tail-lamp guards, and a standard front bar, they also have the pre-runner bar in stainless or black. The stainless is part # 73260SP, and the black is 73260. I have a .jpg with the press release on it, dated June 2005, so I assume it's available, and why would he list it if it weren't? I would post the pic, but don't have a place to host it. I'll be glad to send it to someone if they want to host and post it.

XSAL - The Micro FFs look good. I always liked those lights, and they work very well. They actually make a strobe version of that lamp that is used in Europe called the BSX-Micro. We just started selling the Amber version here.

Pinoy - Your setup looks good, but I'm going to run 3 or possibly 4 Rallye 4000 Compacts. They're pretty heavy, I would say at least 5 pounds a piece, and 6.69" diameter, so I think that even with a bar behind it, that the plastic wouldn't work.

I talked to my neighbor last night, who's a welder and fabricator, and he said in the next couple of weeks he and I will get together and do something. We're probably going to have some tubing that ties into the side of the existing rack tubes, then comes up just above the plastic shield, then comes back slightly down, goes across, and ties in on the other side. It will likely also tie into two of the existing 4 holes in the front for the plastic shield, for added stability.He said if it works out, and if anyone else is interested, he might be able to make a few of them, but it's just speculation right now until we make one of them. I'll shoot some pics when we get it done.

Also, to answer Muzikman's statement, the 4 screws do in fact go back in. They're a bit tough to get out in the first place, because they seal them with a thread-locker originally. They use the threadlocker on all of the screws holding the feet for the rack on, as well as that front shield. Strangely, they do not use the thread-locker on any of the screws that hold the basket in, or that hold the basket support rails on the side.

Anywho, have a good one.

#53812 - 10/03/06 08:11 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out this setup on the fourtreks.com customer photos page.
Light Bar Mount Scroll to the bottom of the page for a pic.

It uses the FourTreks cargo rack brackets with a custom made bar to mount the lights. Me likey.

#53813 - 10/03/06 08:37 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a sweet gig! run Hellas on my SHHH Jeep and getting ready this summer to add Hellas to my X too. Hope you can wriggle the X for a Colorado Vacation. Plenty of trails that a 2X could do especially with a couple other Xs to help out.

#53814 - 10/03/06 08:39 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ouch - It ain't cheap!!!

<< Manik Light Bar Flyer Clicky>>

#53815 - 10/03/06 09:10 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy $|-||T!!!! Might as well just buy a Shrock at that point and have yourself a real bumper to mount them lights to.

#53816 - 10/03/06 10:08 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight in Armor:
Hope you can wriggle the X for a Colorado Vacation. Plenty of trails that a 2X could do especially with a couple other Xs to help out.
That would be great, but my territory is the SE, so Co is kinda out of the question. Even if they did send me that way, it would be by air being that far.
Sounds fun though!

#53817 - 29/03/06 12:25 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just an update.

I had my neighbor who's a welder/fabricator make a pretty neat rack that attaches to the outer retaining bolts that already exist to hold down the factory rack and front deflector. As soon as I get it powdercoated and mounted with lights, I'll post some pics.

#53818 - 17/05/06 06:50 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I finally got some pics of the roof rack with the lights.

These are Hella Rallye 4000 Compact Driving Lamps. The rack was custom-made by a neighbor who's a welder/fabricator. I primed it and painted it satin black to match the plastic roof pieces. It mounts directly in the holes already there. 2 in front on the wind deflector, and two on the sides for the roof rack.
If anyone's interested in a rack like this, I can ask him how long, but it will run you about $175 or so.

Oh, and if I keep my foot out of it, I can still average almost 21MPG with these lights on the truck.

Here's the Hella page about the lamps themselves:

Hella Rallye 4000 Compact

#53819 - 17/05/06 08:01 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what can you sell to us at as a great deal?

Huge market here...

What do you have to show us?

#53820 - 17/05/06 08:37 PM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Show Some more close ups of that light bar will you.

#53821 - 18/05/06 06:51 AM Re: Lights in place of wind-deflector on 2006 model ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinagua:
So what can you sell to us at as a great deal?

Huge market here...

What do you have to show us?
Not sure what you're getting at.

If you're talking about a 'deal' on the lightbar, I don't see where you get that from. It's not something the guy is gearing-up to mass-produce, or even to sell as far as I know. I mentioned it in passing that some others may want one, and he said it would cost at least $175 or so, but he would have to figure it out if people were really interested.
I know he worked about 6 hours on this piece, and that was with one part already being done off the shelf for another project.
If several people want them, he would have to take mine off and make a jig for it.
If I get a feel for how many people are seriously interested, I'll ask him and see what he thinks.
I don't think that $175 is unreasonable though, and no, I'm not making anything off of it. He's a neighbor and friend of mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal