shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54678 - 04/12/00 09:25 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Anonymous
Unregistered

How interesting...
The mirror offered by donnellye is the same that's offered by Xterrapats. Click on the user's instructions and check it out. I also believe this thing will wotk in an 2000 with a slight amount of wiring/electrical work. Might need a new mirror mount is all.

Quote:
Originally posted by kennedyusmc:
Here's another aftermarket that's cheaper than the mitocorps one ($200). Also, you don't have worry about hookin it up to the rear backup lights.
This is probably the one I'll be getting.

http://www.donnellye.com/_private/prod01.htm

Also here's an Xterra owner who has given a description of how they installed it!

http://www.donnellye.com/customer.htm

#54679 - 04/12/00 10:16 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Well, I installed one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers that I picked up from Target this weekend. It was cheap - and it's a good thing. It's crap.

The indoor works only after the unit itself normalizes to the temperature in the cabin. If you get in the X and it's 32 degrees in and out, then hit the heater until it's 60 inside... Until the whole unit warms up, it'll read whatever it wants (cold plastic).

The outside sensor I place in the door jamb. Only problem is, I think it's too near the top, where there appears to be a vent/hole going through to the engine compartment. It's freezing outside, yet my outdoor sensor says 40-50 degrees! My guess is that engine compartment air is warmed, and somehow passes through that opening... I haven't really looked yet, so I'm not sure. I'm gonna try and re-locate the sensor.

If neither works out, TO THE TRASHBIN with it!

#54680 - 04/12/00 12:27 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
OK, I just spoke with Jamie in the parts dept. of Marlboro Nissan and he got his Nissan rep. involved. Here's the skinny:

1. There is no "pre-wired" harness that the new mirror simply plugs into. The mirror needs Power, Ground, and Temperature Probe connections. It comes with excellent instructions, tailored to the Xterra to explain where to mount the probe, where to tap power, and where to ground.

2. There is a discrepancy between the actual mirror mount on the windshield glass. The new mirror is a "wedge mount" type whereas the stock mirrors on the '00 X are "channel type." According to the Nissan Rep. *ALL* '01 XTerras have the Wedge housing on the glass and are therefore "compatible" with the new mirror. A Y2K-X would require a new windshield mount.

So... the only thing that would scare me is trying to remove the old mount without shattering or cracking the windshield. Also, just in case the Nissan guy is wrong (it's happened before...) you can take off your existing mirror and look to see if you have channel (bad) or wedge (good). There are pictures to compare with on XTerraparts.com. Also, Marlboro Nissan's "Internet Rate" is $168.00 which is cheaper than XTerraparts.

Happy wiring!

------------------
Thanks,

kjw & the
"PNUT-MNM"

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#54681 - 09/12/00 04:51 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Wy_Xterra Offline

Loc: Gillette, WY. USA
Well, I've checked and my 2000 Xterra has the old style button for the mirror

But after reading some info on the donnelye site I gather that one could heat up the button on the windshield to soften the adhesive and then use maybe dental floss to remove the button.

Then maybe one could order a new style button from Nissan and remount it with the proper adhesive.

What does anybody think of this?

#54682 - 09/12/00 06:05 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
blue Offline

Loc: Erie, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Wy_Xterra:
Well, I've checked and my 2000 Xterra has the old style button for the mirror

But after reading some info on the donnelye site I gather that one could heat up the button on the windshield to soften the adhesive and then use maybe dental floss to remove the button.

Then maybe one could order a new style button from Nissan and remount it with the proper adhesive.

What does anybody think of this?

From a thread on another board, you can change the clip. According to Steve Richardson at xterraparts.com, the part number for the clip is 72708-4B000.

------------------
Blue
'01 XE/3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

#54683 - 09/12/00 06:58 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Wy_Xterra Offline

Originally posted by blue:

>From a thread on another board,
>you can change the clip.
>According to Steve Richardson at
>xterraparts.com,the part number
>for the clip is 72708-4B000.

okay, thanks will see if button will come off.

Russ

#54684 - 10/12/00 11:55 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
sclute Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN Silver SE
I bought one of those mirrors before I knew about the channel vs wedge mounts. I have a 2000 X with the wedge. let me know if that heating up the mount and using floss to pick it of works. I want my mirror!

does anybody else know of a good way to remove one of those without cracking the windshield?

#54685 - 10/12/00 12:00 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
blue Offline

Loc: Erie, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by sclute:
I bought one of those mirrors before I knew about the channel vs wedge mounts. I have a 2000 X with the wedge. let me know if that heating up the mount and using floss to pick it of works. I want my mirror!

does anybody else know of a good way to remove one of those without cracking the windshield?

Xterraparts.com has installation instructions, including how to remove the stock mirror.

------------------
Blue
'01 XE/3pk Auto
Just Blue 4x4

#54686 - 02/01/01 05:29 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hopefully this will end the question about whether or not an '01 comes wired from the factory. It does not! My dealer told me it does. XTerraparts.com (where I bought the mirror) says on their website it is wired for it and they confirmed it on the phone. Well, it isn't. That being said, installation is very easy. About 1-1/5 hours. A bit less if you hurry. And it was well worth it. The quality of the mirror is excellent (thanks Donnelly). I really wanted it for the temp. and compass, but the auto-dimming works awesome too. Very happy, but now I know it's only 15 degrees out right now--how depressing!

------------------
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pack.

#54687 - 02/03/01 12:06 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Wy_Xterra Offline

I finally took the plunge and removed my 2000 year model, slot type mirror mount. So that I can order the new wedge mount & dimming mirror with temp guage.

1.) Prep,by removing stock mirror. Using a 8d nail and inserting in bottom hole and pushing up does the trick.

2.) Prep, by taping around the mount with clear shipping tape as insurance to protect window from scratches.

3.) take permanent marker and trace mount outline on outside of window. (test this, and be sure it will not rub off, but will come off with alcohol later, test in dark area of window on outside edges.)

4.) Prep mount by taking a q-tip and Acetone and applying to edges of mount to soften glue. (hey it helps, not sure about window on this, but no ill effects here.)

5.) Carefully take a thin hacksaw blade and slowly work from top or bottom and sawing through glue, go slow and don't apply force which will either break window or scratch window. Keep blade flush to window as possible.

6.) take your time it takes a while.

7.) Once mount is off, apply more acetone to clean up remaining glue. (I used this and box cutter knife/blade to cleanup.

8.) I also took time and throughly cleaned the window with hot soapy water to insure no Acetone left on window.

RESULTS: mount off, minimal scratches, and only on mount are which will be covered up by new mount. (i.e. 1 small nick)

Much safer than heat which will affect laminate in window. (bubbling). Just don't force it in any way.

10.) Order new mount and mirror if not already done.

Hope this helps.

Russ
WY_Xterra

------------------

#54688 - 09/03/01 10:17 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
DuckX Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Xterraparts.com

Code: 999L1-AM001
Price: $179.95

------------------
01~XTerra SE
V6 4x4 Auto

#54689 - 09/03/01 12:12 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
You guys are gonna hate me for this but....

I have a 2001 with the "wrong" mount for the mirror. I got the mirror for Valentine's day. What to do....

I took the old mirror off and after 5 seconds of diliberation I tried the new mirror on the old bracket. It took a "little" force (if I did it again, I'd use some lithium grease) but it slid down and sort of "snapped" in place. Its good and tight and I left it there.

I'm not saying it will globally "work" for everyone but I'm guessing now that Nissan is covering their butts in case someone uses too much force and snaps a hole in their windshield. All I'm saying is, "try it." Use some grease and some lite force and it will work.

Your mileage may vary, but my mine looks great!

------------------
Thanks,
Puhnutmenum

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#54690 - 09/03/01 12:30 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
CMorHiker Offline

Loc: Lake Zurich, Illinois
I have one of the earliest '01 models and the dealer's mechanic called the glass company to come install a new "button" and the glass guy discovered my X had the correct one on it, making his trip unnecessary. (I got mirror & installation free, so I let them deal with it.)

BTW -- I love the mirror.

------------------
2001 SE 4X4
Alpine Green

Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza

#54691 - 09/03/01 07:55 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Nova Offline

Loc: Fremont, CA, United States
I have a 2001 XE 4X4 and I looked at my mirror mount and it is the wrong type. It is the channel type and Xterra parts.com says that it is the wrong type. So when someone says that all 2001 X's have the new wedge style mount they are wrong. I also looked behind the front grill and I saw something that looked like a temp sensor under the horn. Can someone tell me what it is. It looks like a little button with wires comming out of the back of it and it is mounted under the horn and to the same bracket. Thanks.

------------------
"I want the world, I want the whole world, give it to me."

Veruca Salt
Willy Wanca's Chocolate Factory

Veruca Salt
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

#54692 - 09/03/01 09:02 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I think what you saw is a temperature sensor for the A/C. I'm not 100% that's what that is, but I think so. Anyway, it isn't wired for it like sooo many say it is. It isn't hard though. Just busy work, nothing difficult.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#54693 - 12/03/01 03:12 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Wy_Xterra Offline

UPDATE TO MIRROR MOUNT QUESTIONS!!!!

OH MY, BOY I'AM I DUMB!!!

okay, enough caps,

For those of you who have a 2000 extra and wanting to install the EC mirror.

I finished installing my today, but found out that the OLD style button will work. It is the Mirror mount/attachment that has the wedge vs channel in them.

My old mirror, including the bracket/mount that goes on the button is a channel type, the new mirror is a wedge type.

BOTH will work the the original windshield button.

So before you take the risk of removing the mount (which is possible) order the mirror and see if it will fit on the button. (betcha it does.)

Russ

------------------

#54694 - 05/04/01 10:06 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
x_whistler Offline

Loc: Beaverton, OR., USA
I got an auto-dimming rear-view mirror...

It looks really cool with the temp & direction guages...They actually work too. What a surprise...I've installed stuff like this before and it didn't work.

I got mine installed 1week after I purchased my rig...The dealership installed it for me...They only charged $165.00 for the mirror, & $25.00 labor to install. It turned out to be a very good deal for me.

I recommend this mirror highly to anyone who owns a 2001 X...

Good Luck,

------------------
Andy
x_whistler
PNWX Member
res052bt@gte.net

#54695 - 14/01/02 01:22 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Xtayder Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
I too just got a Donnelly auto dimming temp/compass rear view mirror.
I had it put into my 2001 X that was originally purchased in April '01. It was all part of the deal for me to buy the vehicle so I'm not sure how much it costed exactly, but it was around $300 (Can$).
It works great and as a bonus it actually helps block the sun from coming in over the top of the mirror (where the sun visor doesn't help) because it is taller than the standard mirror.
The temp and compass seem very acurate.
The autodim I don't know about. I haven't had it too long and nobody's had their brights on behind me yet. Also, the Xterra has tinted back windows that already reduce some glare.
Here in Calgary weather can change drastically during the winter months due to chinooks so it's nice having that temp guage.
cool

#54696 - 15/01/02 12:15 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
Cougar Offline

Loc: Germantown, MD, USA
i just got one from xterraparts.com (it was a christmas gift though). I am going to hook it up sometime this weekend.

#54697 - 15/01/02 05:26 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
XxX-1 Offline

Loc: So. Cal
Is it a possibility to get some kind of group rate on the mirror if enough people bought at the same time?

#54698 - 16/01/02 07:00 AM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
mwc896 Offline

Loc: Northern VA
Is it possible to get and install the 2002 version of the compass/ temp gauge(the one where it is above the map lights instead of on the mirror) in an earlier model X? I'm a fan of how that looks.

#54699 - 16/01/02 06:26 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
ekh Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Md.
Hey Guys,

I installed mine about 2 days efter I bought the truck. The install is not to bad. You have to remove both plastic kick panels, both door sill plates and the welting on between the doors and the body. You also have to remove both plastic grab handles from the "A" piller and the plastic covers under the handles. Why remove both sides. Because the Temp sensor wires come up the passenger side and the power wires come up the drivers side "A" pillers.

The temp sensor wiring goes thru the wiring boot in the firewall on the passenger side of the truck and the power is sourced from the fuse box directly using a funky fuse tap device which came in the kit. the instuctions reference fuse #20 7.5A ELEC-ACC 6th from the top and 4th from the left.

The Nissan Part Number is 999L1-AM001 and I got a heafty discount of the mirror from my dealer. The price I got equals the price on XterraParts.com less shipping of course.

One prerequisite, YOU MUST HAVE THE WEDGE TYPE MIRROR MOUNT. No exceptions here. The mirror will only slide on and tighten up on the wedge mount. XterraParts.com sells the replacement wedge mount to glue on your windsheild but I would not try and remove the old mount unless I had full coverage insurance 0 deductable on glass breakage.

There are one or two more tricks to the install but I have wasted enough server space already. Post further questions here or email me. I am going to putting together a how-to for the site for this install in the next few weeks. wink

Ekh.

#54700 - 08/02/02 08:15 PM Re: New Auto Dimming Mirror (w/ compass and temp guage)
spillboy Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I know I am coming in a little late on this, but WHO NEEDS a dimmer on their mirror? The tint on my '01 is dark enough! I think that holds a lot of the weight in the price. Secondly, I have searched the world over for a reliable dash/window mounted Temp. & compass guage, but there are nothing but cheap-os out there. Anyone seen a simple (or complex) temp/compass combo that has nothing to do with the mirror? PLEASE let me know! I miss the standard setup I had on my Cherokee Laredo before I got my X!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal