shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#547243 - 19/06/06 10:57 AM Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I get the "everything you need, nothing you don't" concept of the X, but does anyone else find it odd that the X does not even have and option for GPS navigation system yet? Given the "go anywhere, do anything" tag line you hear, I find it odd that there is no option.

#547244 - 19/06/06 11:01 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point. To make it worthwhile, it would need Topo maps instead of city streets and restaurants, like found on most car navigation systems.

#547245 - 19/06/06 11:34 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think it is odd. For the target audience of the X, I think most people wouldn't want or buy a fixed automotive GPS unit option.

If you want GPS, you want it portable, and would have a handheld that could be used in the vehicle if needed (for example, I have an etrex legend).

mitt

#547246 - 19/06/06 01:43 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Add moonroof and leather to that list.

These arn't ment for what this truck is made for.

For OR use, use a trail gps unit. see thread for nice cheap bracket.

#547247 - 19/06/06 02:45 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can't satisfy everyone, Xterra owners are even worse, get 5 Xterra owners together and you will get 8 different opinions about what GPS should be in there. Not even mentioning the software!

I use a Garmin GPS 60 CSx Color, Cards, USB to computer, Garmin software galore, typo, streets, fishing, all you want. Ex Ant port, Power port, read on, http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60csx.htm

I have mine with me 24 - 7 Biking, wheeling, camping, driving, fishing (as a Backup to my Garmin 188C) Trust me, I did a lot of research in making my choice. This was the best and lest expensive choice for what (Key word) "I" wanted. I bought the Garmin mounts for everything.

Ya know it would really suck if you got deep into the woods and had to hike out and all you had was a dash unit.

But I suppose you can remove a dash unit, and ant. And carry the 12V battery with ya? MC

#547248 - 19/06/06 02:53 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC XTERRA:
But I suppose you can remove a dash unit, and ant. And carry the 12V battery with ya? MC
[Spit] [LOL]

#547249 - 20/06/06 05:59 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is not meant as a flame, but I'm glad they don't. As the previous posts state most people in the target market most likely have a personal GPS unit. Also it is getting more common among manufacturers to have an option for a year or two then it becomes a part of the standard equipment and I don't need nor want to pay for one because it is standard equipment.

#547250 - 20/06/06 07:26 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

while I would prefer a free in dash GPS unit that integrates other comp features, I dont mind having my pda/bluetooth/gpa setup. It goes from car to car, works as a computer/internet, and I can use it in rental cars.

#547251 - 20/06/06 08:17 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by s4iscool:
[QB]while I would prefer a free in dash GPS unit that integrates other comp features...QB]
Oh, I can assure you that if it did come with a dash GPS, it WOULD NOT be free. They'd have to jack the price up. That's how they've kept the price down for the everything you need, nothing you don't aproach. Otherwise it'd be like a 35k 4Runner

#547252 - 20/06/06 08:24 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would take it if it was a $1000 option - but no - usually it adds $2000+ to the price of the vehicle.

For that price - go and get an in dash unit and have it installed professionally.

#547253 - 20/06/06 08:54 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
Quote:
Originally posted by s4iscool:
[QB]while I would prefer a free in dash GPS unit that integrates other comp features...QB]
Oh, I can assure you that if it did come with a dash GPS, it WOULD NOT be free. They'd have to jack the price up. That's how they've kept the price down for the everything you need, nothing you don't aproach. Otherwise it'd be like a 35k 4Runner
i know, thats why I said I would take it only if it was free. Over 1k and its not worth it because aftermarket units have more features built in for about $1k.

#547254 - 20/06/06 09:47 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
No

#547255 - 20/06/06 03:09 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
No

#547256 - 21/06/06 12:32 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyFishingX:
Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
[b]No
x 2[/b]
X 3 [drink]

#547257 - 21/06/06 12:45 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm on the other side of the fence. I have an indash GPS and I love it. I agree with the "everything you need, nothing you don't" slogan which is why I purposely did not get the RF package because I knew I was going aftermarket anyway.

Then again, why is the RF package available? A good sound system is not "needed", right?

#547258 - 21/06/06 02:51 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'll tell u what I think is odd.....that the off-road model doesn't come with the freakin TEMP GUAGE!!!!

#547259 - 21/06/06 03:33 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
defibvt Offline

Open the window laugh

#547260 - 21/06/06 05:49 PM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

right, and i'm the one that gets hammered for smart-arse remarks..........

it aint the heat i'm thinking of, it's when it gets cold.

trust me, it's 109 here today and 113 tomorrow, i have no interest in opening the window!

i just thought it was kinda stupid that the one w/ the most extra stuff is missing such a simple thing that probably don't cost much to put in.

#547261 - 22/06/06 09:34 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an 04 Maxima and I got it with the in dash NAV system and find it indespensable. If nothing else, I can press two buttons and navigate myself home from anywhere. There are some nice advantages to having it built in. Lack of theft without taking the car is one. If they want the GPS, they can take the car too.

Regarding what kind of GPS would be needed, I don't think the decision factors are too broad. It's a vehicle, which drives on and off road, so why can't it have navigation maps and topos? With the memory costs these days it shouldn't be too difficult. I should probobly design one myself.

Let's be honest, of those of us to trek off the beaten path, we'd use handheld units which do have their limitations and require a fair amount of hands on interraction than what may be in an in-dash model does. To me, these are separate tools, like the differnce between a brad nailer and a framing nailer. You use the right tool for the job. you get the idea.

#547262 - 22/06/06 09:49 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
defibvt Offline

Give me a map, trail guide, compass and I will get you there. Yeah it is old school but the batteries don't wear out in a compass.

#547263 - 22/06/06 09:50 AM Re: Does anyone else find it odd......
defibvt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by waterman7474:
right, and i'm the one that gets hammered for smart-arse remarks..........

it aint the heat i'm thinking of, it's when it gets cold.

trust me, it's 109 here today and 113 tomorrow, i have no interest in opening the window!

i just thought it was kinda stupid that the one w/ the most extra stuff is missing such a simple thing that probably don't cost much to put in.
Dude, I am in AZ so I feel your pain. However in the the desert who cares. Hot is hot. If it helps you can buy an aftermarket one fairly cheap and they are easy to install. That is what a lot of older gens have done.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal