shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54945 - 04/07/01 01:12 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
2kxtra Offline

Loc: Woburn, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[BThe Xterra "weighs" 4000 lbs. That's when you lift it vertically. When you are pulling it, you have tires to roll on, and it weighs only a fraction.[/B]

True enough, but what about when the X is stuck. It could take considerably greater force to get it out again.

------------------
Rob
"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

"not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

#54946 - 04/07/01 02:21 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Chosin_Xterra Offline

Loc: Mililani, HI, USA
Being one of the unlucky Xterra owners to have already had my vehicle rear ended by a tractor trailer in heavy construction traffic on a highway, I know the strength of the Xterra's front AND rear bumpers. I also know that the rear bumper crumpled (probably as designed), and the "plastic" end pieces popped off, and were used on the replacement bumper eventually installed by the body shop. The front bumper was pushed in and down by the vehicle I was pushed into by the semi(all told, replacement parts, and labor for the repairs was less than $700). I welcome the strength of the replacement bumper, but would also rather have an "option" of having just the bumper, and not the spare tire carrier. I like the look of the Xterra without the spare tire on the rear of the vehicle, and that's the way mine will stay.

------------------
Butch & Lisa
LYLAMYM
'00 BLACK SE 4x4
I'm out here fighting for your right to burn that flag

#54947 - 04/07/01 03:21 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Chosin_Xterra:
I welcome the strength of the replacement bumper...

Remember, aftermarket bumpers are designed for off-road abuse. Getting in an accident on the street, with a much sturdier bumper (front or rear) will result in forces being directed to the vehicle differently.

Crumple zones are there for a reason, safety. The stock bumpers are designed to absorb energy, aftermarket bumpers are not.

Had you had aftermarket bumpers on your Xterra in your accidents, you may have wound up with much more expensive frame damage, that may be beyond repair.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#54948 - 04/07/01 05:43 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Chosin_Xterra Offline

Loc: Mililani, HI, USA
You're right about the frame damage. I was impressed with the look of the bumper, as well as how sturdy it sounds to be. I'd like to get some more info when/if available about getting just the bumper without the spare tire mount, and the Class III hitch. Any possibilities for that combo from Steve at Calmini?

Butch

------------------
Butch & Lisa
LYLAMYM
'00 BLACK SE 4x4

#54949 - 04/07/01 07:59 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here is my .02 on the Calmini rear bumper.

Cons:
First off, $900 forget it.
Second, where is the license plate?
Third, the tire should be all the way on the left side, it blocks too much of the drivers view.

Pros:
I like the rap around side pieces, it will complement the ARB well.

------------------
Goliath the X
Cloud White, XE, 3-Pack
31 X 10.5 M/T * AR-767 Rims * Rock Sliderz *
MAXC Member

#54950 - 05/07/01 11:29 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Holy overkill, Batman... It's a bumper, not a tank fascia!

Glad to see more options coming down the wire, though! Bring it on!

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow
"Sleep... A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine."

#54951 - 05/07/01 11:46 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath The X:
Cons:
First off, $900 forget it.

You guys crack me up.

You'll pay $650 for an ARB, which has to be modified to fit since it's made for another vehicle, but $900 for a rear bumper, designed especially for the Xterra, with a swing out tire carrier is too much ?

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#54952 - 05/07/01 12:08 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Holy overkill, Batman... It's a bumper, not a tank fascia!

Glad to see more options coming down the wire, though! Bring it on!

exactly.

------------------

#54953 - 05/07/01 12:17 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
You guys crack me up.

You'll pay $650 for an ARB, which has to be modified to fit since it's made for another vehicle

The ARB mods, when necessary, take little time, are within the skills of 95% of the population, and don't cost a penny. Oh the agony of it all. BFD.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#54954 - 05/07/01 01:21 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
The ARB mods, when necessary, take little time, are within the skills of 95% of the population, and don't cost a penny. Oh the agony of it all. BFD.

Brent

Don't know if I'm right or not, but I was thinking (crowd growns...."again" :-)). Anyway, isn't comparing ARB and Calmini like comparing apples and oranges?
ARB has a fancy laser cutting, production line type set-up (which, by the way, I think they could whip out an Xterra specific bumper at the drop of a hat if they wanted...but I digress, back to my point).

Calmini (though I have not been to their shop yet) is more of a craftsman type set-up. You know, hand made from scratch.

You probably see where I'm going, so I'll stop. But a quality made item (especially one made really well) will cost extra. I think that you will find that any rear bumper will cost more than an ARB cuz, I guessing that they will all be hand made.

Think about most of the rock sliders. Seems like a slam dunk. Get a metal tube. Weld on some extensions with flat plates at the end and drill away. Viola, $30 sliders (Krylon paint extra). You will never see these sliders (unless you do it yourself) because, again, they are hand made.

I did a double take myself but after considering what has gone into making all the turns, angles, supports....and making it look nice... I don't think he is really going to make a killing off the Xterra bumper. How long would it take you to cut out the parts, weld, put together and finish a bumper so that it looked like it belongs on an Xterra?

(should I write commercials, or what? ;-))

------------------

#54955 - 05/07/01 01:33 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
How long would it take you to cut out the parts, weld, put together and finish a bumper so that it looked like it belongs on an Xterra?

(should I write commercials, or what? ;-))

hey, when you start charging $; the customer has the right to demand better. the customer has the right to critique the product (which only helps calmini).

if calmini cant make something alot of people like for a price they like, eventually someone else will.

if the rear bumper is going to be 3 pieces, why not show a 'basic' pkg without the side pieces and with the stock plastic bumpers back on?

personally, it looks like a homemade item to me. very coarse in execution. i don't think being 'handmade' means its better or worse. cars used to be 'handmade' but i think they are alot better now that they employ a bit of machinery, dont you?
there's alot of 'custom' junk and alot of 'machined' junk-- for a mass produced product, a machine cutting pieces is easier for quality control, so i would lean towards that for something that wasn't 'one-off'.

the front calmini bumper looks great, though. what with the intergrated winch area and 'brush guard'-- why not some of that good thinking on the back?

------------------

[This message has been edited by neil (edited 07-05-2001).]

#54956 - 05/07/01 05:42 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by neil:

personally, it looks like a homemade item to me. very coarse in execution

I couldn't agree more. The best design and execution will win out hands down. A good product speaks for itelf, no selling required.

My question is could you expand on the "home made" and "coarse" comments? I'm wondering cuz when I make something....boy, you KNOW ITS HOMEMADE! I was impressed with the finish, smooth lines and clean in appearance.

------------------

#54957 - 05/07/01 07:24 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

Well Brent, I've installed 2 now, and both required a serious amount of drilling and grinding. Do you have cobalt drill bits handy ? I didn't. $50. You'll need a die-grinder, or a 1/2" drill too, most people don't have a die-grinder, and only a 3/8" drill.

Everyone who has posted about mounting an ARB has mentioned taking several hours to get it on. That's not what I'd call a bolt on solution.

And what do you know about it, you don't even have one.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#54958 - 06/07/01 11:34 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
ARB has a fancy laser cutting, production line type set-up (which, by the way, I think they could whip out an Xterra specific bumper at the drop of a hat if they wanted...but I digress, back to my point).

just FYI, ARBs are actually hand welded and such not in jigs, if memory serves. only the parts are laser cut. Calmini laser cuts stuff too according the info on the sliders i thought.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
2000 Alpine Green 4x4 Auto, ARB, Warn XD9000, 32" BFG MTs

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 07-06-2001).]

#54959 - 06/07/01 11:49 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Well Brent, I've installed 2 now, and both required a serious amount of drilling and grinding. Do you have cobalt drill bits handy ? I didn't. $50. You'll need a die-grinder, or a 1/2" drill too, most people don't have a die-grinder, and only a 3/8" drill.

Everyone who has posted about mounting an ARB has mentioned taking several hours to get it on. That's not what I'd call a bolt on solution.

I didn't have nearly those problems getting mine installed.

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#54960 - 06/07/01 01:09 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
You guys crack me up.

Which "guys" are you referring to, since you've said that exact same thing on 2 different boards in response to 2 specific people?

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#54961 - 06/07/01 02:42 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:

I got the pathy/navaro bumper & had to drill 2 new holes on each side & didn't use anything special. Just use 2-3 drill bits that increase in size so that one fat bit doesn't have to do all the work. Also, in the "rock sliders" thread you mention the imperfect fit of EOE sliders as an indication that they'r hokey compared to Calmini; I'm sure EOE doesn't mind being compared to ARB which you're essentially doing if one looks at these two threads together....

------------------

#54962 - 06/07/01 06:26 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
just FYI, ARBs are actually hand welded and such not in jigs, if memory serves. only the parts are laser cut. Calmini laser cuts stuff too according the info on the sliders i thought.

Your correct. I spoke with Steve and he does do that stuff. I was thinking out loud and I stand corrected. Thanks.

------------------

#54963 - 17/07/01 05:05 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
OK guys, put your guns away... I have some more info on the Rear Bumper, we are talking about the Calmini rear bumper aren't we?

-------------

I talked with Steve at Calmini, and got a bit more on the rear bumper.

They are thinking of making several versions of the bumper, one that is similar, I guess, to the KMA, one that is similar to the one shown on the site, but made from three pieces (for shipping's sake) and possibly a 3rd version.

You will be happy to know that the Class II tow point is a 1/4" walled reinforced 2" reciever hitch, as one would expect. It is rated at 3000 pounds mainly because of liability, as the 5 speed owners are only rated to 3500#s, but also because a jacked up Xterra, say, with 4" of lift, even with a 7" lowering hitch, towing a poorly balanced load, can cause problems to vehicle handling. It's a safety concern for handling, not for dead pull strength. I am not sure if he said anything about the strength of the tow point for recovery, I imagine it's at minimum double to triple the rating for TOWING. Just because the bumper can handle the weight, doesn't mean the Xterra can pull it.

The rear recovery points are there, and they are made of 1/4" steel, plenty of strength for pulling and shackle attachment. They are also, I believe the point where the side pieces mount to the center bumper point, I imagine this makes the bumper setup a great deal stronger when it comes to lengthwise twisting.

The side pieces are bent to fit around the body inner structure, so the bend at the bottom has to be there to protect the truck's guts, and also reduces the departure angle from the sides. They also mount to the frame somewhere in addition to the mount for the center of the bumper, which mounts to the frame where the KMA does, adding to the strength of the outer corners. Steven said you should be able to drop the Xterra on them without damage when rockcrawling, something he intends to prove at GOX II, I think...

The swing arm is hinged from the passenger side, mainly because it allows quick access for the driver, as it swings one handed from the driver side. The accessory bar, mounted on the driver side, will accept a Hi Lift, or the stock license pplate lighting and mount, or a Jerry can holder from an external company, not sure what company... The tire carrier is set farther to the passenger side, and allows for depth adjustment, allowing for various sizes of tires and wheels, which can have various depths. I also asked about possibly moving it to the center more, allowing for better visibility to the passenger rear, he took note, and noted that the stress is diminished the closer the tire is to the hinge. This, of course, is obvious... The locking mechanism has a Delrin sleeve at the base of the swingarm, that rests on the bumper, preventing rattling and vibration. the locking mechanism also has a locking spring actuated bolt, but we didn't talk about that much...

Think that's about it. He has had some very positive responses to the initial postings, and if you have any concerns or questions, do as I did, and call him. He'll be glad to talk with you. Doubt he'll be posting to any of the boards, as they are a busy shop, think they have 500 part numbers for Suzuki products alone, and he said he is spending the next 2 years expressly on Nissan parts. 22 years of experience, and the main guy, Steven, owns an Xterra. I think we are in luck!

Matt

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

and what did you do today?

#54964 - 17/07/01 06:18 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:

I've installed 3 ARB's now. The last one we put on while the guy was in his house ordering a pizza. You should have seen his face when he came out and it was already on his truck.

Nissans inconsistent manufacturing tolerances (at least with the frame/bumper)have more to do with how long it takes to get an ARB on.

------------------
Xterra4x4.com

Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

#54965 - 17/07/01 06:59 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
What about an option for putting the hinge on the driver's side, and mounting the tire closer to that hinge. It would seem that there would be greater rearward visibility in that case.

------------------
Pains heal,
Chicks dig scars,
and glory lasts forever

#54966 - 17/07/01 07:27 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:

Nissans inconsistent manufacturing tolerances (at least with the frame/bumper)have more to do with how long it takes to get an ARB on.

Amen on that! The variation between holes on the frames I have seen has been up to a 1/2" which is just poor quality control. I had a Frontier in my shop the other day that the middle set of frame holes for sliders were not even threaded, I have seen Frontiers with threaded center holes and it does not follow a pattern such as later built ones do or do not have threaded holes consistently. Nissan needs to tighten up their QC process and start making the trucks more consistent with one another.

------------------
FSRBIKER
Extreme Offroad Equipment
www.Extreme4X4Parts.com
EOE...Opening Soon!

#54967 - 17/07/01 09:14 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
I've installed 3 ARB's now. The last one we put on while the guy was in his house ordering a pizza. You should have seen his face when he came out and it was already on his truck.

Exactly right. Mine took about 25-30 minutes to install after putting the winch in it and grinding one hole on it.

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#54968 - 17/07/01 10:52 PM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
Sc00ter Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas(But retired Cali...
1 hour by myself, including the winch. The only reason it took me so long was that I kept getting hip craps while leg pressing the ARB/Winch in the air to mount it.(funny visual only other ARB owners know about)

I couldn't be happier.

scoot

------------------

-- A typical morning at Candlewood suites.

#54969 - 18/07/01 12:11 AM Re: The newest rear tire carrier on the block....WOW beefy looking!
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sc00ter:
1 hour by myself, including the winch. The only reason it took me so long was that I kept getting hip craps...

Gotta hate those hip craps!

------------------

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal