shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55620 - 05/05/02 11:54 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
sundevil845 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I would be very interested in the interior rack.

#55621 - 05/05/02 02:03 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I would be even more interested in the interior rack.

#55622 - 05/05/02 02:13 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I like the idea of the interior web.

#55623 - 05/05/02 02:17 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
babyX Offline

Interior! Interior! Interior! (just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, here).

I can see the use for the one up top, and since Graham has my safari rack and isn't considering handing it back anytime soon (I know, I know... I gave it to you), it might be interesting, but I'd much prefer seeing more about the interior one.

#55624 - 05/05/02 05:27 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Bobby_X Offline

Hmm. I think the interior looks neat!

#55625 - 05/05/02 06:02 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Rob Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA,USA
This looks like an interesting idea, but I don't think that it will work well.

The attachment mechanics are far too complex. What are there, 20 buckles to work with there? You say that the attachment is likely to change, that's good, those friction clasps don't really supply much in the way of security.

Webbing stretches. There are many, many, points where the webbing is sewn. Each of these is a potential failure point.

Those metal rings may look cool, but the product would be far stronger and much less prone to failure if the crossing web belts were sewn together rather than attached to those rings.

An adaptation of this might work as a cover for a safari basket.

#55626 - 05/05/02 06:03 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Rob Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA,USA
This looks like an interesting idea, but I don't think that it will work well.

The attachment mechanics are far too complex. What are there, 20 buckles to work with there? You say that the attachment is likely to change, that's good, those friction clasps don't really supply much in the way of security.

Webbing stretches. There are many, many, points where the webbing is sewn. Each of these is a potential failure point.

Those metal rings may look cool, but the product would be far stronger and much less prone to failure if the crossing web belts were sewn together rather than attached to those rings.

An adaptation of this might work as a cover for a safari basket.

#55627 - 05/05/02 06:10 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Iced X Man Offline

Loc: Virginia
i think the rack belongs on the 2003 model, it would go well w/the leather seat option.

#55628 - 05/05/02 06:29 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Bobby_X Offline

I disagree with Rob's post.

I would NEVER worry about that webbing failing at any time.

We use webbing (albeit, most likely stronger) for our skydiving rigs. This is something we totally trust our lives in. We trust it so much that it's pretty much not even a worry.

We use webbing half as wide as that to connect the rigs to the canopies. I can't even begin to describe the forces that webbing goes under as the canopy opens and stops us from 130mph to 10mph.

Although, the webbing would be exposed very long term to all kinds of harsh enviroments. I wonder how much months of intense heat, heavy snow, or rain would harm the webbing?

There's a lot of things to factor in. But I would not worry about the webbing failing under any load. Unless it is a low quality webbing, or low quality connectors, or low quality craftmanship.

But its all good points.

Does anyone that is familiar with this compnay know the quality of their products?

I'm also going to do some research on the type of webbing used in skydiving rigs.

Anyways

Oh yeh, I can't wait for the interior webbing!!

#55629 - 05/05/02 07:21 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
capelli Offline

Loc: longview texas
rack looks cool but how will the nylon hold up under the sun

#55630 - 05/05/02 08:15 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Iced X Man:
i think the rack belongs on the 2003 model, it would go well w/the leather seat option.
Hmmm ?
Why do you say that ?

#55631 - 05/05/02 08:21 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Which is why it will change, to deter theft.

The front and back ends will be loops. The crossbars will be removed, and the loops slid over them, then reattached. The crossbar is then adjusted to tighten the webbing.

Long term resistance to stretching and fade will be an issue, as well as stretching when wet.

Again, this product is a prototype, and I am simply gathering information for Raingler.

Thank you so far for everyones contributions and thoughts.

The interior web will have fewer issues against wear and tear, and be easy to install and adjust.

#55632 - 06/05/02 05:02 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Ian , if you put a tire up there will it bouce up and down on bumps?

or the web is prety much tight that it will not move up and down ?

#55633 - 06/05/02 05:31 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by nimbus 2001:
[b]What is the load capacity? What would the length be (How far can you spread the crossbars)?
The load capacity should exceed the load capacity of the stock rack (which is 125 lbs.).

The cross bar racks are as far apart as they will go in the picture.[/b]
My concern is that people would put somthing heavy on it and the rack would fail (perhaps right away)..My reason... instead of putting weight on the rack in a downward fashion you are loading it horizontally. I don't think that they planed having it loaded that way.

Just something to think about

#55634 - 06/05/02 05:46 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

I can't see the factory rack failing.
If the force is horizontal, the crossbars will support the length of the rack and vice versa.
If too much weight is put on it, the grab mechanism on the crossbars would slip first.

Olegkha, possibly. This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them.

BTW, please clean up your profile smile

#55635 - 06/05/02 07:01 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
[QB].

This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them.

QB]
For the price this looks like a good add on for those that have a height restriction because of a garage. Like you said throwing your camping gear and such up there and having many lashing points is much better than laying it between the rails on the paint.

I would be interested in the interior one.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#55636 - 06/05/02 07:54 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
It can hold anything a huge Yakima LoadWarrior can hold, but doesn't stick up a foot above the truck or look unsightly.
Err, no. My rack does NOT stick a foot up off the factory rack - that's just ridiculous. It also looks a LOT better (smoother, cleaner) than this thing. Good God.

With a real rack, the weight is carried DOWN, onto the supports of the roof rack. With this thing, the weight is carried LATERALLY, being held by the two crossbars in the front/back, which is basically four screws in plastic. The sides are held on better, of course - but again, it's a lateral support of the weight. I don't know that the roof rack supports like that - they weren't designed for that.

As others have mentioned also, there are far too many failure points - rings, buckles, seams... This thing will probably stretch and flap in the wind and all kinds of stuff.

Is the hardware stainless? Or will it rust all over your paint job below?

I agree with FSRBIKER in that this might be a good option for those with clearance issues with their garage or something, but seriosuly...

Get a REAL rack. [Finger]

#55637 - 06/05/02 08:36 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
hmacmill Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
What uses do you guys want the interior rack for? As a pet divider, to hold things down?

#55638 - 06/05/02 08:46 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hmacmill:
What uses do you guys want the interior rack for? As a pet divider, to hold things down?
To store stuff normally kept on the floor of the cargo area... Tools, blankets, jumper cables, whatever...

It's just a way to use normally unused space in the truck, and open up more room down below for other stuff.

#55639 - 06/05/02 09:44 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
hmacmill Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
[/QUOTE]To store stuff normally kept on the floor of the cargo area... Tools, blankets, jumper cables, whatever...

It's just a way to use normally unused space in the truck, and open up more room down below for other stuff.[/QB][/QUOTE]

so you're talking about a vertical rack?

#55640 - 06/05/02 11:30 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
huevos Offline

Loc: Burbank, SoCal
I hardly ever load the top, so I don't think I will use it..But it looks cool, I would buy it just because it looks cool.. [Freak] [Spit]
when does it come out?
Huevos

#55641 - 06/05/02 11:50 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Just having the ability to load the tent, chairs, sleeping bags, etc. onto the roof rack without body contact would be great. I am one of those with a severe truck height issue, as it stands I only have approx. 1" available before I would rub the rails backing into the garage.

I would be interested in both.

#55642 - 06/05/02 12:14 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hmacmill:
so you're talking about a vertical rack?
No, horizontal... The net would be a few inches underneath the ceiling, and you can stuff things up in there...

#55643 - 06/05/02 02:14 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
So far the only items of note I've put on top of my X are a new queen mattress and box spring and my spare. The mattress set is moot here, and I put my spare directly on the roof between the crossbars (on top of the Nissan rubber strips you can buy for $18) and it suits me fine. Most anything else will be fine the same way, and if it's not "flat" I can just get a piece of plywood to rest on the rubber strips and then stack from there.

The interior setup might be handy though,
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#55644 - 06/05/02 02:55 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Err, no. My rack does NOT stick a foot up off the factory rack - that's just ridiculous. It also looks a LOT better (smoother, cleaner) than this thing. Good God.
I said "truck", and go measure it, that ungainly thing sits almost a foot from the roof and is as ugly as a brush guard.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal