shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55645 - 06/05/02 03:06 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
janders Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have nothing to add to this conversation other than:

a.) Interested in the exterior version.
b.) *Very* interested in the interior version.

#55646 - 06/05/02 03:14 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I said "truck", and go measure it, that ungainly thing sits almost a foot from the roof and is as ugly as a brush guard.
Close - I measure 11" from the high point of the roof to the top of the LoadWarrior rails. The stock roof rack itself is 5.5" of that, making the LoadWarrior only 5.5" extra. Unless that soft rack does some sort of magic, "it sits half a foot off the roof."

As for ungainly and ugly, that's fully subjective. I think it kicks ass, and that's about all that really matters.

#55647 - 06/05/02 03:46 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
As for ungainly and ugly, that's fully subjective. I think it kicks ass, and that's about all that really matters.
You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]

#55648 - 06/05/02 04:04 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]
Naw, that's just holding my lights up until I get the ARB the weekend after next. wink

#55649 - 06/05/02 04:23 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Quote:
[b]You also think that lowrider safari bar kicks ass [Finger]
Naw, that's just holding my lights up until I get the ARB the weekend after next. wink [/b]
Yeah , he's a big fan of those too. [LOL]

#55650 - 06/05/02 09:29 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Definately interested in the interior rack.

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#55651 - 06/05/02 09:49 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the roof gear basket net already double as a net for the interior ceiling hooks?

#55652 - 06/05/02 10:28 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
matto Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, CA
This belt system should have good appeal. It's light weight and easily store and good utility ( particularly with the height issue). A cargo net to hold items in place would be a good compliment.

My concern with the "Belt" rack would be how much flexing would occur with roughly 100 - 125 lbs suspended entirely by the belts and the whiplash effect as the load would snap upward.

I've kind of wondered why Nissan hasn't designed a cargo basket similar to the front basket for the main portion of the roof - that would be suspend below the racks (like the basket is mounted). This also would be "flush" with rack system on top of the X.

I would have an interest with the interior belt rack.

My two cents.

#55653 - 06/05/02 11:19 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
SCDriven Offline

Loc: Bartlett, Il.
Looks good...I'll be interested in buying.

#55654 - 07/05/02 12:03 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the roof gear basket net already double as a net for the interior ceiling hooks?
Right up until you put something in it, then it sags down and obstructs the rear view.

#55655 - 09/05/02 06:01 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Here's my 2 cents worth.

I like the idea. I currently have 2 inchs of clearance going into my garage so any baskets that would mount above the rails is out for me.

The the right kind of webbing can be very strong. What do you think tow starps are mad out of. Like someone said earlier webbing is used for parachute rigs and when opening a chute the amount of G's put on the webbing is huge. Also climbing harnesses and helocoper sling load nets are the same and also have to be able to whithstand high load factors.

As for it holding up in the weather, and my tech rig is all webbing. Yes the webing does strech when wet, but I don't think it will be enough to let it touch the roog of the rack is it is pre streched when you put it on. Also I teach scuba, my rig has held up for year of being exposed to clorinated water as well as salt water, both of which can be very harmfull to any cloth. My rig shows no signs of deterioration, except for the color fading.

I don't think this is ment to be left on all the time. just think of the wind noise this would create. This is ment to be put up on top when its needed and taken down and stowed away when not. Used like that and it should hold up for a very long time.

As for the rings as long as stainless steel is being used they should hold up fine. Although I would rather see solid straps going front to back and side to side. Less chance of failure. the stapes should all be cross swen at every intersection of two staps. This should also make manufacturing easier. If there is a need for metal attachment points a couple D-rings could easily be added to each strap in strategic locations.

I like the idea of using loops on the cross bars, gives it a more secure attachment, and the buckles used should be fine. We use thos to hold on weight belts, and they have a cam action that prevents them from opening if the webbing is pulled. Although I would recommend using the stainless steel buckles tech divers use. The plastic kind have been known to break or fail over time. Another option for attaching it to the rails would be a steel D-ring and positively closing hook. Just lay it out so the hook and dring are not in contat with the

I like the overall design, and have been considering making something up like this. Its perfect for throwing drybags or duffe bags of camping gear, dive gear, etc up top and secured with a net. I wouldn't want to put a tire up there or anything too heavy since it is not rigidly attached to anything ant there would be some give to the webbing.

Ian, I like the idea and if you want any other suggestions I'd be more than happy to help.

#55656 - 09/05/02 06:09 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
I don't think this is ment to be left on all the time. just think of the wind noise this would create.
It makes no wind noise that I could detect.
I tested it at 80MPH.

#55657 - 09/05/02 06:27 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Y02X Offline

Loc: Michigan...Land of humidity, H...
I'd be interested in it if it would also fit on a Frontier Crew Cab rack. I think the rail span is about the same.

I like it because a load warrior it too tall for my garage.

#55658 - 09/05/02 06:35 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Dirt Devil Offline

Loc: Austin
Yes the interior rack it a great idea. It's so good that Joan and I made one about two weeks ago. laugh We made it out of six short bungee cords and some webbing that we got at REI. When we went to the beach clean up, we used it to stow things like pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, & towels. We traveled 100 miles up and down the beach that weekend and not one thing fell out of the "loft" cool **UPDATED** I have pics up on my Picturetrail page. Hit the link in my sig.

#55659 - 09/05/02 06:40 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
I tested it at 80MPH.
IAN! I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONE SAYING X SHOULD NOT GO THAT FAST ?

#55660 - 09/05/02 08:16 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I like the idea and understand the attachment system will be revised, but would it be complicated to keep one end that goes to a crossbar adjustable ?? I use my rack for different things (bike rack etc) and might not have the option of keeping the crossbars at the max distance.

#55661 - 09/05/02 08:26 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
[b]I tested it at 80MPH.
IAN! I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONE SAYING X SHOULD NOT GO THAT FAST ?[/b]
ROFL! I was just going to say that! LOL... laugh

#55662 - 10/05/02 09:15 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
I would be interested in an interior rack. I will stay with my loadwarrior on top. This rack would have a hard time holding my Kayaks. laugh

#55663 - 10/05/02 11:29 AM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Molten lava Offline

Loc: Laguna Hills, ca
"It can hold anything a huge Yakima LoadWarrior can hold, but doesn't stick up a foot above the truck or look unsightly".

"Olegkha, possibly. This rack is designed with dry bags, and camping gear in mind, not really a spare tire, Hi-Lift or other very heavy items, although it should support them".

I will stick with my so called "unsightly load warrior". I do not want to be switching between the two because I cannot be sure if it will hold a tire. Plus I have mounting points for my Hi-lift jack and lights on the LoadWarrior that I would not have on the net. Unlike your opinion I like the look of the LoadWarrior and it seems a lot of other people do to who have told me.

That's my .02

#55664 - 10/05/02 12:13 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
boconn Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
I would be interested in both...

#55665 - 10/05/02 12:30 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
pseacraft Offline

Loc: Nashua, NH & LOS
I like the idea and could have used it this past winter. I ended up making my own platform between the rails out of some spotted owl trees. I don't like those tall, top heavy looking racks. Their nice but impractical for my needs.

I think the "bouncy" ideas are a bit overstated since you have to strap everything down anyway. If you did it right the first time you wouldn't have any movement in any direction. If you have any movement your not tight enough on the straps and you may need to repack so you can get it tighter. That goes with any kind of rach system. I always use ratcheting load straps so that I can be positive of my loads secured.

I'll take one of these if they make some of the changes that have been mentioned here to make it a little bit stronger. Besides it would come in handy for the 4th of July fireworks and our local Air Shows as an elevated hamock! laugh

#55666 - 25/06/02 07:26 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Any update as to the development of these rack systems?

#55667 - 25/06/02 09:39 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
Xterra Harry Offline

must have it, now!! And the interrior net as well. Get them produced!

#55668 - 25/06/02 10:01 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch:
Any update as to the development of these rack systems?
Actually, it looks like the roof rack is not going to work. I just tested it again last week with a new style strap buckle, and it refuses to hold to the factory rack without slipping and rotating.

Something major is going to have to change in the design to get it to work.

The internal rack should be ready for me to test in a week or so.

#55669 - 25/06/02 11:44 PM Re: New Product: Xterra Soft Roof Rack
n2fireresq Offline

Loc: Missouri
well that sux - i need one for GOX - hopefully something will come out soon like that - i am not looking to see it before GOX tho

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal